Selling Stolen Products in Market section

did you asked about the posting
8 to 9 hrs is not long enough to take final decision
you know they are looking into every post ,then why ask about not watching
they will quick pm for up-daring pics since they can take decision very easily on that topics
when the issue is big their will be more time taken for action
Read up
First post 15 hrs ago i warned it is going to happen. 2nd post 10 hrs ago after it happened.
Now if they wanna sleep, let them.

i think you didn"t understand the mods
They said to REPORT NOT TAG
Answer what i asked too, were they not monitoring this thread like they monitor other threads ? And i put out in plain sight where every one could see, whereas "report" function no member other than mods can see.
And they told clearly no proof so nothing doing, so even if i had reported like earlier, what is the guarantee they would have acted upon it
This was a litmus test for them.
Alsoz why do you ignore the first msg where i warned it will happen ?

Hi,

The market section(Buy/Sell) Rules have a flaw.

anybody can come here and sell products without any bill or proof of purchase.
A member here has sold over 100 products without any bill.

Now I can understand if someone misplaces one or two bills. But misplacing 100 bills :eek::eek:;)

Sounds fishy na. On top of this the mods dont take any action.

I suspect that the products are obtained from Online Fraud(Ordering on Amazon/Flipkart and sending back used items and keeping the news ones).
After that coming here to this forum and selling the fraudulently obtained products and probably giving a cut here and there to cleanup posts to mods.

Just like mumbai Police (SSR case) ...:woot::woot::woot::woot:

Next we'll have phone batteries(removed from stolen phone) and then climb to selling stolen phone... :p:p:p
We have our little homegrown mini online chor bazaar in the making.

So I suggest the management/mods of the forum take some decisive action.

Have some friends who tried to set up shop for PC parts through Amazon. I legit get nightmares after listening to their stories. Although, since past 3-4 months or so they have low key started maintaining a database on fraudsters, and, with all these Amazon services including payment ones getting traction the data aggregation and subsequent investigations would be easier.

Guys, let's stop blaming / targeting each other. Based on discussion so far, jotting down key points/actions items
  • 1) Proof of purchase
    • a) Mandatory proof of purchase for any sale.
    • b) For items with no proof of purchase no warranty to be claimed.
    • c) Shall we make mod approval mandatory for such a thread ??
  • 2) Discussion / queries in sales thread
    • a) Any discussion pertaining to item details, proof of purchase, condition, accessories, previous owner etc should be allowed
    • b) Members may highlight concerns regarding authenticity of the deal/item/seller , over-inflated price or anything relevant that may help TE/potential buyer
    • c) Price negotiations to be carried out via pm
For above suggestions where consensus is yet to be achieve, either the mods take a call or put it to vote. Subsequently all may connect back after 3 months for feedback and review.

Let's be constructive and do what's necessary for the betterment.

I just don't understand why it's so difficult to expose a fraudulent member.
If I had similar issues, wouldn't even bother to pm or tag mods.
It would have been a thread titled "Mr./ Ms.XYZ is selling stolen goods"
It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to find such deals.
If mods are trying to cover something up, expose them too.
I believe 99.9 % percent members of this forum are decent people.
Just point out to those 0.1% of those individuals who are trying to set up a small Amazon store here with illegally obtained goods.

Isn't there a rule that invoice is needed for warranty products. For older stuff it's difficult to search the invoice. Also how you came up accusing the mods is surprising, I find the moderation on Techenclave very balanced. As said earlier if you find the sale fishy just report the thread. No need to complicate market place, it's a good platform please don't strangle it.

Guys, let's stop blaming / targeting each other. Based on discussion so far, jotting down key points/actions items
...Also how you came up accusing the mods is surprising...

This is not a blame game but stating simple facts. Which happened not too long ago. Asking the seller questions about the very item he's selling got those posts deleted. Called out the mods on that. There are some other issues too but it's pretty apparent the concerned mod is only interested in supporting the seller no matter what. He even has the time to like and laugh at posts making fun of those raising these legitimate questions. I don't usually do personal attacks, especially someone who i don't even know, but this is really shameful.

There's a present thread where the seller is trying to sell a pair of Audio Technica wireless headphones which do not have the TRS port.

He conveniently forgot to mention this simple fact. Since there are thousands of restrictions to protect the seller, I asked the seller indirectly if it can be used wired.
Instead of giving an honest straightforward answer, he replied that it can be used wired ( USB mode) and has an inbuilt DAC ( as if it's some special feature in BT cans!!) which can handle 96khz sample.
I simply won't believe someone who knows about sample rate, doesn't know what a true wired mode for a headphone is.

One may argue that it's the buyer's responsibility to do the research before buying something. But there are small things that an honest seller should always mention.
If I'm selling a PXC 550, my first point would be the lack of physical switch to turn it on/off and impossibility of running in passive mode other than draining the battery completely.
If I'm selling 1000XM4, I should mention that on Windows it will fall back on the crappy SBC codec as it lacks aptX.
The market section of a tech forum should be a friendly place where people are not trying to rip off fellow members.
There are plenty of online options for that.
Sad to see these things happening in TE ( and we all know why)
Edit: It was just an honest omission by the seller. He's a cool dude and made necessary changes.
Wish all of us could behave in such a friendly manner.

Last edited:
Also how you came up accusing the mods is surprising, I find the moderation on Techenclave very balanced...

Granted, mods definitely have a tough, thankless job. Respect to them.

This should not be seen as an attempt to villify mods. Instead, this is more of an earnest call for action, to allow members raise relevant queries and sensible discussions in sale threads.

I personally do not understand the obsession behind keeping sale threads "clean". Just as in other sections, there may be posts that obviously deserve categorical deletion - bargaining in the open, wild accusations and such. No one disputes that. Still how is it that sale threads are such sacred ground - enough to purge sensible discussions in what is primarily a disussion forum?

Also, while it is (and quite rightly so) the seller's prerogative to sell at any price they wish, why is it wrong for someone else to discuss alternatives, point to better offers or lower prices elsewhere (as long as it is done within reason, of course)? The worst that can happen here is a fellow forum member ending up getting a good deal, or making a better-informed buy. Sure, a seller may end up displeased. But why would the interests of a seller count over any other potential buyer and a fellow member?

Right now, the sale section is perceived as a sellers turf, and each thread their own. Instead of attempting to establish and protect this (which I feel will eventually be a vain exercise), why not open it up a bit?

Last edited:
Isn't the onus on the buyer to find out if a certain product has certain features and quirks?

While it may well be true in the open market, this I believe is quite different - a market section inside of a community forum.

Would it not be fair to expect someone to not stand by and watch a fellow member being "taken for a ride" (be it, seller or buyer, for that matter)? Just illustrating my point, and in no way implying that deals here are unfair. In fact, it's quite the opposite, from my own experience - every seller I've dealt with here has been good, bar none.

Yes, but some quirks are never really mentioned in the manufacturer's website.
I can only give examples with headphones (unlike computer, I know these things)
Sennheiser never declared that PXC550 can't be used in passive wired mode ( unless you drain the battery dead...a very difficult thing to do...it has tremendous battery life... specially in active wired mode it lasts for weeks!!)
Sony never declared in Windows, their XM4 will fall back on SBC. Even with Macs you have to configure it properly to access AAC ( imagine spending 350 USD on a Bluetooth headphone to find it will only work on SBC with your brand new 1500 USD Dell XPS.

While it may well be true in the open market, this I believe is quite different - a market section inside of a community forum.

Would it not be fair to expect someone to not stand by and watch a fellow member being "taken for a ride" (be it, seller or buyer, for that matter)? Just illustrating my point, and in no way implying that deals here are unfair. In fact, it's quite the opposite, from my own experience - every seller I've dealt with here has been good, bar none.
There is no problem in asking or discussing the features of a product but calling someone dishonest because he didn't post his sale thread like a review mentioning each and every feature of the product is completely wrong. Many times it happens that one hasn't explored all the features of the device they are selling. Why can't we polite about it instead of asking in an accusatory tone like @reddragon did in his post above. He is talking about the seller not mentioning the wired capabilities of a BT headphone. I can tell you 99.9% of the people would have no idea about it because they would never think about using a BT headphone in wired mode. I have a 3D TV, but if you ask me about the TVs capabilities, I won't be able to help you at all as I have never used that feature in the 7 years I have owned it. So why can't we just keep it civil and ask clear concise questions as respectfully as we can. If you feel the answer isn't satisfactory then one can ask again because sometimes the question can be unclear or like I said above, the seller might be unaware of the functionality themself.

Yes, but some quirks are never really mentioned in the manufacturer's website.
I can only give examples with headphones (unlike computer, I know these things)
Sennheiser never declared that PXC550 can't be used in passive wired mode ( unless you drain the battery dead...a very difficult thing to do...it has tremendous battery life... specially in active wired mode it lasts for weeks!!)
Sony never declared in Windows, their XM4 will fall back on SBC. Even with Macs you have to configure it properly to access AAC ( imagine spending 350 USD on a Bluetooth headphone to find it will only work on SBC with your brand new 1500 USD Dell XPS.
I am sorry but I disagree with you. It happens many times that a person can be unaware of all the features of the product they are selling because they have never used that feature or functionality. That doesn't make them dishonest, at least in my books.
99.9% of the people who bought a BT headphone won't use it in a wired mode, so they can be completely unaware of their use in wired mode. Until your thread about BT headphones, I myself didn't know that BT headphones can be used in wired mode as well.

My apologies..yes, was too harsh on the person.
But I've edited my post. Anyway I'm sorry if anyone felt offended.

Exactly. Your first few posts on this came across as if the OP was trying to hide something. It's not about offense. Everyone [me included] is trying to prove their point using random examples, some hypothetical some based on suspicion etc. This thread is about stolen goods being sold in the market, which as far as I'm concerned is wrong. It's turned into a mods bad, market bad. sellers bad thread.

One option, albeit drastic and increasing the work of the mods, could be to let mods manually approve For Sale posts [as long as they satisfy the rules, criteria]. Since let's be honest the community aspect of the market is very different from the forum. I've been a member here for 13 years. Barely used the market. In one year [2019] I made over 10 purchases/sales in Erodov only because of the ease of trade. Yes, I hope this place doesn't turn into that macchi market, but over moderating and 100 comments from people who have no intentions of buying/selling are not required.

Back