Audio Sennheiser HD 650

Terms like fast accurate bass, better instrument separation has gotten me itchy to try a planar. I want to see if I need to start saving for my next upgrade from the HD599. Considering that the Deva, HE400i, and HE400SE are the only ones within my budget, what kind of an upgrade am I looking at? I am looking for a wider soundstage without sacrificing on the bass that I am getting with the HD599.

Terms like fast accurate bass, better instrument separation has gotten me itchy to try a planar. I want to see if I need to start saving for my next upgrade from the HD599. Considering that the Deva, HE400i, and HE400SE are the only ones within my budget, what kind of an upgrade am I looking at? I am looking for a wider soundstage without sacrificing on the bass that I am getting with the HD599.

Deva give you 100% guaranteed Bass....I can assure you, Highly doubt this one an upgrade from HD 599....Deva is pretty warm, detail level is too good comparing the price of the Tech....Which ensure long listening session.

If you leave alone the upgrade part this one a very good headphone in every aspect... Looks etc.

No idea of 400SE.....Isn't 400i disconnected ?

Last edited:
Deva give you 100% guaranteed Bass....I can assure you, Highly doubt this one an upgrade from HD 599....Deva is pretty warm, detail level is too good comparing the price....Which ensure long listening session.

If you leave alone the upgrade part this one a very good headphone in every aspect... Looks etc.

No idea of 400SE.....Isn't 400i disconnected ?
Thanks for your inputs. I am not sure about the HE400i being discontinued. Only know that its has been out of stock on Amazon for a few weeks now.

The HE400SE has replaced the HE400i as the entry level planar by Hifiman.
While the HE400i doesn't have a lot of bass out of the box, it responds to eq quite well and you can eq more bass required. But do try the stock audio signature for at least a few days, since it's quite good even stock.

The HE400SE has replaced the HE400i as the entry level planar by Hifiman.
While the HE400i doesn't have a lot of bass out of the box, it responds to eq quite well and you can eq more bass required. But do try the stock audio signature for at least a few days, since it's quite good even stock.
Thanks. The HE400i is out of the equation then.

What about Topping D10 with L30. Checked @ headphonezone, both available for 12k INR each.
Or just get a A30 pro for 29k INR ( 5500 mW *2
at 32 ohm...will easily power almost any headphones) and get a DAC later.
Some with adequate experience in amps think A30 pro is almost identical sounding to A90 (which is very good amp)
IMO doesn't make sense to buy 30k amp for 20k headphone, but maybe im wrong. L30 seems like the only option for now. Would've preferred Schitt but let's see ..

oh and btw, hd650 are out of this world even on desktop. I'm having to listen at 80 - 100 volume. I can hear that they want more power//

IMO doesn't make sense to buy 30k amp for 20k headphone..
No sir, this mad hobby defies all rules
But seriously of A30 pro is identical to A90 at 30k, it's a brilliant deal.
These amps will work for years and you won't have to buy another amp with your next upgrade.

Will the HD650 be a noticeable improvement over the HE400i ver.2020? Looking for a bit more forward sounding vocals, better instrument separation and more (micro)details compared to my current pair; and better soundstage if possible, although that's not a necessity. Will be driven by a xDuoo MT-602 fed by a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro playing mostly FLAC files, if that's relevant. Usage is 70% music and 30% movies/shows.

For reference, the HD650 will cost almost exactly twice what I paid for my HE400i, and I understand that I won't be getting 2x the sound quality, but as far as this audiofool hobby goes, are these worth upgrading to? Or should I instead save up for something like Ananda for a noticeable improvement?
Please note, I never experience any premium endgame headphones, my highest headphone is AKG K712 Pro with three AT's (50x,MSR7,AD700x) and one 598SE < All are entry-level side grads and I don't like Metal, Heavy Metal Genre.
Hey thanks for the write up. I have a few questions if you don't mind: How would you compare the K712 Pro to the HD650? Which one would you pick over the other and why, if the prices for both are 18.5k and 22k respectively?

Last edited:
Ohhh....A New Thread...... When was this thread created? I thought my previous comment was removed.

Will be driven by a xDuoo MT-602 fed by a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro playing mostly FLAC files, if that's relevant.

(1) Before jumping to a new headphone upgrade is it possible for you to get an audition/borrow with ESS 9038 based solution paired with MT-602 and HE400i? If possible please do.

(2) Also I like to ask did you ever used/pair your 400i with any proper solid-state headphone amp?

Hey thanks for the write up. I have a few questions if you don't mind: How would you compare the K712 Pro to the HD650? Which one would you pick over the other and why, if the prices for both are 18.5k and 22k respectively?

(3) To my Ear K712 Pro is a forward-sounding headphone with lots of details to share with users, On the other hand, HD650 Laid Back one with Amazing Texture and detail......I'm amazed at how they manage to create all this with such a tiny single driver, There is a hidden subwoofer inside which only activates when needed.

(4) As I experienced HD650 now, Thanks to its pricing, I will always pick HD650 over K712 Pro......Make no mistake that K712 Pro is not in any way incapable of anything....I'm perfectly happy with my K712Pro before with Zero Complain (and still I am).

Both headphones required a cool / temperature control weather to enjoy.

N.B: - All my short evaluations of HD650 using Hip DAC From Tidal Tracks.....Music Genre I used Female Vocal, Jazz, Hip Hop, Rap, Soft Rock, Electronic-Instrumental,
Movies/ TV Show using Zen CAN + Topping DX3 Pro (AK4493),

Last edited:
(1) Before jumping to a new headphone upgrade is it possible for you to get an audition/borrow with ESS 9038 based solution paired with MT-602 and HE400i? If possible please do.
Unfortunately, this is not an option for me at the moment. Only way out for me is to sell my existing gear to get new ones, and that isn't feasible right now.
(2) Also I like to ask did you ever used/pair your 400i with any proper solid-state headphone amp?
Nope, but I used it with just the Temptotec DAC's amplifier for a month, and I cannot distinguish between the sound from just the USB DAC/AMP compared to the sound from the xDuoo in a blind test or even back to back A/B testing. Even according to many reviewers, the MT-602 apparently has little to no colouring on the final SQ thanks to its hybrid tube design, in which the audio does gets amplified mainly through solid state amps before being sent out, and that the tubes don't play as much of a role here; and for this reason some don't consider it to be a true tube amp because it doesn't really have that tube-y sound signature.
The above is of course anecdotal, but I am inclined to believe them since I cannot reliably distinguish between outputs from the various permutation and combinations from the Apple dongle, Tempotec dongle, and either of those through the amp. I can, however, catch when I am using my laptop port instead of the USB DACs consistently enough, if that's relevant.
(3) To my Ear K712 Pro is a forward-sounding headphone with lots of details to share with users, On the other hand, HD650 Laid Back one with Amazing Texture and detail......I'm amazed at how they manage to create all this with such a tiny single driver, There is a hidden subwoofer inside which only activates when needed.
So does the K712 Pro have more details than the HD650? I tried on a friend's M50X BT in wired mode with my setup (Sonata + MT-602) and I loved the clarity in detail retrieval, instrument separation and forward sounding vocals (but not much else, including fit, soundstage and quality of materials used), so trying to find something which can offer those features without being a downgrade from my current cans, or offering only small, imperceptible-until-you-A/B test-it improvements.
Basically, reading (and realising) the mediocre scaling of cost with audible quality/improvements in SQ, I'm apprehensive of dropping over 20k on a pair of cans only to find out that it's a placebo. This is probably just paranoia on my part since I've read that the HD650 (along with the HD600) is considered to be one of the all time greats, but basically my question boils down to this - would a non-audiophile be able to justify spending twice as much as a HE400i (or the HE400SE now) based on how much better it sounds?
Both headphones required a cool / temperature control weather to enjoy.
I understand, and that's not an issue. In case of power cuts, I just use my IEMs since I prefer to not soak in sweat XD

Anyway, I think I am just a bit paranoid about dropping 20 big ones on a pair of headphones, and I'm trying to find out if it'll be worth it. My experience with my HE400i tells me it will be, but my mind wonders just how much better things can be?
Also, I would be more comfortable purchasing towards the end of Nov. compared to right now (my plan was to get used K712 (Pro) at around 12k) but I guess I'm fomo'ing in looking at the price.

Sorry for the long reply (more of a rant I guess), and thanks for patiently reading & answering my questions :)

Last edited:
Before jumping to a new headphone upgrade is it possible for you to get an audition/borrow with ESS 9038 based solution paired with MT-602
Does DAC really make that much of a difference?

I have the same HE400i 2020 but with a FiiO E10K. Very much tempted to jump on the HD650 but not sure how much of an improvement that would be.

Unfortunately I can't get a DAC/Amp to test these out :(

Very much tempted to jump on the HD650 but not sure how much of an improvement that would be.

Unfortunately I can't get a DAC/Amp to test these out :(
Exact same boat as you haha.
Man I should just unwatch and ignore all audio related threads, else might go bankrupt soon :p

Exact same boat as you haha.
Man I should just unwatch and ignore all audio related threads, else might go bankrupt soon :p
Ngl I told myself that this would be the last time I participate in an audio thread.

Last time I engaged in an audio thread, I ended up buying HE400i. I absolutely don't need another headphone, no idea why I'm doing this.

Ngl I told myself that this would be the last time I participate in an audio thread.

Last time I engaged in an audio thread, I ended up buying HE400i. I absolutely don't need another headphone, no idea why I'm doing this.
Exact same predicament. Post getting the amp, I was so sure that I had reached "endgame" for at least the next couple of years, but turns out that the HE400i was just the gateway cig to the actual drugs lol

I have the same HE400i 2020 but with a FiiO E10K. Very much tempted to jump on the HD650 but not sure how much of an improvement that would be.
I changed from a Hifiman Deva + Apple USB C dongle tot he HD650. It is a massive improvement but it also requires a much better DAC/amp combo.

Deva + apple USB C combo was just perfect. Not the best but a great all rounder. When I use the HD650 with my Audinst, it just sounded flat. Switched over to my ODAC + tube amp and it sings.

If you change the headphones, you'll have to change other components in your chain to match it as well. Do keep that in mind before you pull the trigger.

Well, an update: somehow convinced myself to not get the HD 650 for now, since I have genuinely no reason to buy one other than fomo lol
Long live the HE400i (touchwood)

Last edited:
Well, an update: somehow convinced myself to not get the HD 650 for now, since I have genuinely no reason to buy one other than fomo lol
Long live the HE400i (touchwood)
Good decision. I have the HD650 and have been stopping myself from ordering the Deva since last 6 months, ever since they came on sale. Also stopped myself from ordering another HD650 as a backup as that will be a huge waste as well.

Please note, I never experience any premium endgame headphones, my highest headphone is AKG K712 Pro with three AT's (50x,MSR7,AD700x) and one 598SE < All are entry-level side grads and I don't like Metal, Heavy Metal Genre.
I too enjoy audio technica s sound signature, how will you compare this Akg 712pro with AD700x or other AT's

...stopping myself from ordering the Deva since last 6 months, ever since they came on sale. Also stopped myself from ordering another HD650...
apes.jpg

Last edited:
Back