Audio Sennheiser HD 650

Does DAC really make that much of a difference?

I have the same HE400i 2020 but with a FiiO E10K. Very much tempted to jump on the HD650 but not sure how much of an improvement that would be.

Unfortunately I can't get a DAC/Amp to test these out :(

- DAC + AMP combo does make a difference only if you can hear the difference, If your Device output and your DAC/AMP output feel similar to you then either you can't hear the difference or your source device output is really good and in both cases, you are saved......Enjoy.
I'm not a Golden Ear or something, I can't imagine or detect soundstage (Or whatever music I consume), Like that I am in 3rd row, Artist is there in front of me tilted to the left side etc..So take everything with a pinch of salt.

- About HD650 don't be tempted, I think this is the new price of this CAN which may be permanent.
Fiio E10K may be able to drive HD650 but you will not get to what is actually capable of, You forever wonder why those audio fools spreading lies all over the internet/forum. Disclaimer : I don't have Fiio E10K or 400i or SE....So can't actually comment how much upgrade HD650 is over 400i.

- Buying without an audition is a major problem, It is possible you may not like the sound signature of HD650 over your 400i assuming it is the bright-sounding headphone.

Good decision. I have the HD650 and have been stopping myself from ordering the Deva since last 6 months, ever since they came on sale. Also stopped myself from ordering another HD650 as a backup as that will be a huge waste as well.

Don't bother about Deva, What HD650 provides there is nothing you need from Deva.....given that I have no knowledge of Old Gen and New Gen HD650. One question did you get the storage box with your HD650?

I too enjoy audio technica s sound signature, how will you compare this Akg 712pro with AD700x or other AT's

I like to rate AKG 712 Pro as an upgrade over MSR7 and AD700x - Leave out M50x from this comparison, because of its detail retrieval capability....maybe it is fake as some like to describe it but I like it.

My AD700x is no more, R.I.P - The fixed cable finally detach after breaking the rubber insulator for three years. One unique thing of AD700x provides surround sound in movies / tv-shows from the plain two-channel audio stream which is unbelievable.

Yes, this 22-23k INR for HD650 should be the price.
I don't have the HD650, but have both the 6XX and the old 600.
The only issue with the 6XX to my ears is that they are very slow even compared to entry level planars and the definite artificial smoothness of upper treble ( DT 880 absolutely desimates HD650 in this case)
And I STRONGLY DISAGREE that HD650 is an upgrade to HE400i / Deva or even 400SE sonically. In fact I will always prefer HD600 (the old kitchen sink one) over 6XX.
Feed them with adequate power, specially the 400i will bring out a lot more clarity overall. And Deva is a fun headphone.
To my ears, they only clear upgrade from the entry level planars ( and not obscenely expensive) is Ananda ( an upgrade that anyone will notice within seconds, with absolutely basic portable amp dac that I'm using)
There's another sleeper headphone which sounds spectacular ( but it needs an amp with high impedance...can be driven with older audio interfaces rather easily, which I discovered recently) the 600 ohm version of DT880, it sounds considerably better / different from the 250 ohm version.
Modern TOTL amps can drive them, but they don't sound that good. But almost older interfaces ( even Behringer) can drive them nicely as those have pretty high output impedance ( discovered recently with help from a very senior audio engineer)
Zeos has a review in his channel , where he completely messed up the setting ( daisy chaining very powerful amp which can destroy the beautiful headphones)
But if I'm forced to use only one headphone for both listening and work ( mixing, mastering etc) I will probably gravitate towards a closed back, very uncomfortable headphone. The NDH 20. That's the only headphone I truly trust ( they are heavy, very uncomfortable) They always sound closest to my daily monitors...any genre, any instrument.
I consider it as a tool, not headphone.

Last edited:
And I STRONGLY DISAGREE that HD650 is an upgrade to HE400i / Deva or even 400SE sonically. In fact I will always prefer HD600 (the old kitchen sink one) over 6XX.
Feed them with adequate power, specially the 400i will bring out a lot more clarity overall. And Deva is a fun headphone.

This is what I exactly said in Post No: #23 here about Deva because before the HD650 price reveals I order one....Deva sounds amazing.

Most people looking at the price of headphones and thinking about upgrades.

Same thing I suggested at Post No #30 as I seriously Doubt the existing 400i even got the chance to properly shine with the right equipment?

Last edited:
Man 400i (2020) is a beautiful headphone. A refresh may come later this year.
What I specially like these entry level hifimans is that they no longer need a lot of power to sound good. Remember HE6!!??
I bought it used and probably had a pretty beefy SMSL amp...it couldn't power it properly!!
Hifiman indeed has come a long way. Saving up for Susvara....

A refresh may come later this year.
Isn't the 400SE the latest refresh of the 400 series?
Saving up for Susvara....
Damn, hope you get it soon! I was wondering how significant of a step up is the Susvara from something like, say, an Arya? (Assuming both are adequately powered and have the rest of the audio chain capable enough)
****​
Also, it seems the price for the HD 650 is back up to it's regular pricing of 34k on bajaoo.com, so expect the same to return on Amazon. No other websites had this deal pricing, so looks like the deal is over. Congrats to all those who grabbed it! (And those who held out on not purchasing it due to fomo and maybe are regretting now :p)

Last edited:
Also, it seems the price for the HD 650 is back up to it's regular pricing of 34k on bajaoo.com, so expect the same to return on Amazon. No other websites had this deal pricing, so looks like the deal is over. Congrats to all those who grabbed it! (And those who held out on not purchasing it due to fomo and maybe are regretting now :p)​
HPZ still have it that deal price, bajaao don't matter in headphone sell.

I strongly believe this is new price....If this stays then 18 -19k will be deal price later.

Edit :- Audio Store got that price too.

Last edited:
Hope it remains like HD25...18-19k should be the ideal price, considering HD6XX is sold for 200 USD and HD650 for around 250 EUR in most of EU.
As Nitendra mentioned K712 was available for 16k some time ago..that was the real deal.
Isn't the 400SE the latest refresh of the 400 series?

Damn, hope you get it soon! I was wondering how significant of a step up is the Susvara from something like, say, an Arya? (Assuming both are adequately powered and have the rest of the audio chain capable enough)
****​
Hifiman loves to play with the HE400 series, their rep told me that they are planning to refresh all the popular models every year.
I had both Ananda and Arya ( loaner units) for close to a month and ended up buying the Ananda ( though Arya is definitely better, but loved the Ananda's peculiar soundstage...won't be able to describe it, though Arya's soundstage is definitely better, but it's like HD800.. although waaay better, but didn't have that peculiar " in front of you" thing)
After buying the Ananda from their website, they sent a loaner unit of Susvara...but since I already returned the Arya, couldn't A/B them.
The Susvara possibly lacks the body of Arya...but that treble!! Never ever heard this kind of clean and absolutely open and airy highs in my life ( and I am in this hobby long enough)
And it plays nicely with both of my main desktop set ups ( THX 789 and A90), specially the A90 seemed like made for this headphone ( it is truly a wonderful amp)
Don't get me wrong...Arya is a spectacular headphone and many will prefer it over Susvara. But to my ears, Susvara sounded absolutely magical. But both the stock cables are terrible!!
But with a baby coming in near future, must stop buying audio products for some time and stop smoking 2 packs of Petra Lights everyday. In fact didn't smoke since Sunday. Please wish me luck. We both stopped smoking for more than a year after the first kid, but went back eventually.
This time we must stop.

Last edited:
Yeah. It came in a silver box like the one shown in the video.
When did you buy yours?
Coz i bought recently and the box these came in is much different, cheap quality thin cardboard box.
Maybe this is where the price cut is showing.

When did you buy yours?
Coz i bought recently and the box these came in is much different, cheap quality thin cardboard box.
Maybe this is where the price cut is showing.
Mine was bought for 2013 I think, at same price. Don't think the change in packaging has anything to do with the price cut as that box would barely cost anything compared to the price. The new packaging (from what I could see online) seems to be in line with their other packaging. Even my HD25 had similar cardboard packaging, but even they are being sold at discounted rates.

Back