Audio Sennheiser HD 650

HHS

Recruit
Folks, would sennheiser hd650 be an upgrade to hd599? Also looking for an upgrade for fun and casual, long hour listening, any suggestions? Thanks

Folks, would sennheiser hd650 be an upgrade to hd599? Also looking for an upgrade for fun and casual, long hour listening, any suggestions? Thanks

I don't own an HD599 but 598SE when it came out 5-6 years ago - If 599 sound is similar to 598SE - then my answer is Big YES.....It is an upgrade.
After playing for less than 24 hours I can clearly understand why it calls 'The Legend' or why it is still in sale nearly two decades later of its first appearance.
My target was dead to set to get HD 560s after reading tons of info about it, but needless to say, got derailed immediately.

So far blown away by its performance using Hip DAC 1 and Zen CAN (Separate Usage). <----My fear was these gear sound muddy but I was completely wrong, Now I understand why iFi release the Senn edition of Zen CAN for more fun.
Please note, I never experience any premium endgame headphones, my highest headphone is AKG K712 Pro with three AT's (50x,MSR7,AD700x) and one 598SE < All are entry-level side grads and I don't like Metal, Heavy Metal Genre.

Last edited:
The laid back nature of the HD650s, while still delivering detailed music and impressive enough soundstage is actually perfect for casual, long hour listening. Also, they are very light weight and that helps as well. Will it be an upgrade or not. I feel it should be, but can't say by how much as I've never listened to the 599s.

The laid back nature of the HD650s, while still delivering detailed music and impressive enough soundstage is actually perfect for casual, long hour listening. Also, they are very light weight and that helps as well. Will it be an upgrade or not. I feel it should be, but can't say by how much as I've never listened to the 599s.
Well I got an HD650 from the amazon deal and let me tell you these are far better than the original laid back older revision 650. In fact I do not find these laid back at all. They are almost perfect.

It seems there was a silent revision to the HD650 in 2016-17 time frame and the ones afterwards are a lot more neutral and do not have the veil anymore. I hated the old gen HD650 but these are absolutely perfect.

I've also heard the exact same thing...this revision was done around the time after collaboration with Drop for HD6XX.
I very briefly auditioned the HD650 and the HD600 felt much better at that time.
HD650 sounded like a HD600 minus the treble, a much heavier mid bass and the weird thick wooly sound in general and thought it was a faulty unit.
However the 6XX I had sounded much better and cleaner.
Sennheiser definitely did something to the old ones in 2016 so even very experienced headphone people who bought the 650 after 6xx said they sound completely identical.

It's very strange thar Sennheiser released a revision of HD650 without any announcement.
Chaos cleared a lot of contradictory reviews. Some said 6xx sounded exactly like 650, but few respectable and experienced head fier found it considerably different.
I remember one particular post...the guy loved HD600, bought the HD650 and to his ears it was somewhat of a downgrade ( he described the sound as popular consumer type sound with some refinement of HD600...of something along the line)
But the same guy absolutely loved the 6XX. I never really had a chance to audition the hd650 properly. The one I tried briefly was possibly faulty or on some shitty amp, in a local headphone meet ups.
Some very old headfier love HD600 and prefer them over manyfold expensive Focal cans. The newer 650 is possibly tuned similar to their gold standard 600 ( that's the one I also really like, and I always got confused when someone calls HD650 dark, as 600 is not dark sounding except in some very few tracks)
Now things are clear to me.
Thanks a lot Chaos.
Is it possible to identify the two versions of HD650 without comparing the sound first. Planning to get both.

Well I got an HD650 from the amazon deal and let me tell you these are far better than the original laid back older revision 650. In fact I do not find these laid back at all. They are almost perfect.

It seems there was a silent revision to the HD650 in 2016-17 time frame and the ones afterwards are a lot more neutral and do not have the veil anymore. I hated the old gen HD650 but these are absolutely perfect.
I bought mine in 2013 or 14. Was thinking of picking up a 6xx for backup. But if they have changed the sound signature, then I'll have to audition and then decide. I have no idea what this Senn veil is. But even my Head-direct RE1 (my favorite IEM from olden days), were supposed to be similarly laid back. I think I just like stuff which has forward mids and slightly recessed treble and fast bass. After amping, the most improvement I noticed was in the bass and I started to notice and enjoy drums the most, which was a revelation for me. Drums became the centre for all the instrumental rock I listen to and it was really impressive.

guys is it fine to order Schitt Magni from schitt's website? total it coming to be $135 including shipping to India..

which amp u using them from?

Check with headphonezone when the stock is coming. I wouldn't buy from there as it would attract custom duty which will make it way more costly.
I'm also in the same dilemma. Really wanna get the Schiit stack. I contacted Headphonezone and here's the reply I got...

Sadly there is no timeline for the Magni heresy as Schiit themselves don't have stocks for the same, you can leave your mail id on the product page to get notified once these are back.

What about Topping D10 with L30. Checked @ headphonezone, both available for 12k INR each.
Or just get a A30 pro for 29k INR ( 5500 mW *2
at 32 ohm...will easily power almost any headphones) and get a DAC later.
Some with adequate experience in amps think A30 pro is almost identical sounding to A90 (which is very good amp)

A30 pro is like mini A90 with slightly less power.
@Ebil you don't require a DAC and can upgrade later. At the moment L30 is another good option suggested by red dragon.
A30pro is more powerful and is surely better than L30.
S.M.S.L SH 8S is also an option available for 23k @ HPzone.

Don't know how good it will pair with Sennheiser's but some guys praised the aune x1s pro too. Something is making me addictive and I feel I should buy it again.
To summarize this Aune X1S pro sounds identical to my late 90's Sony mini hifi 3 CD changer, as if I am playing a brand new audio cassette.
More juicier and kind of analogous or organic, though unpowered a bit but great synergy with Fiio F9 pro.

What about Topping D10 with L30. Checked @ headphonezone, both available for 12k INR each.
Or just get a A30 pro for 29k INR ( 5500 mW *2
at 32 ohm...

Also, I like to add here Topping D10 Balanced (Priced 10k during the Festival sale) which is available only at HPZ (at the moment of this writing) compatible with A30 Pro (minimum) or any balanced (XLR) amp. Great quick combo for A30 Pro or A90 too if the user doesn't want to spend anymore immediately after buying those amp.

D10 normal version is suitable for L30 as it comes with RCA Jack......But IMHO, the biggest drawback is D10 all variant is just only one input which is USB IN - Rest is just output....I don't think Mobile /Tablet OTG is even possible due to battery drainage to power the 9038Q2M....So users must make sure the only usage they need PC via USB.

Last edited:
which amp u using them from?
A couple of amps - a Darkvoice 336se with Sylvania 6SN7GTA and a Western Electric (rebadged as siemens) 6080 power tube.

The other is a solid state Sapphire rev 4 Amp. This is the best solid state amp I have ever heard.

Omg sens arrived 2day. Able to use it with PC, but it's at full volume for normal listening haha.

I'll try to get a used amp if possible, so if anyone has a spare, I'll take it. I'm not on Facebook so can't use that fb marketplace I heard about :(

Get a very basic portable one like NX1s for the time being. It's possibly 3-4 k INR in India, but pretty powerful and can easily drive 650.
You can use it with phone / ipad etc. too.
Don't get fooled by the price..it's pretty good.

Omg sens arrived 2day. Able to use it with PC, but it's at full volume for normal listening haha.

I'll try to get a used amp if possible, so if anyone has a spare, I'll take it. I'm not on Facebook so can't use that fb marketplace I heard about :(
Try HPZ’s pre-owned in deals section. Few days ago I sold my zen can there. If you’re luck, you may score one for a great price from there.
But one thing, before the purchase, email HPZ regarding the availability of the said product, and try to add some query in email, even though you don’t have one and make sure all said accessories are in there.
The guy I sold my zen can to made great fuss about not including ipower adapter. Holy smokes! Regardless how many times I told him iFi doesn’t provide ipower in the box, he was adamant that I sold him some rubbish 3rd party adapter and that’s NOT GONNA SOUND GOOD AS iPOWER ONE PROVIDES MORE CLEANER INPUT. Hilarious!! So much snake oil rubbed on his temple. It deemed to him that iFi provided generic adapter was gonna blow up his headphones. Lol. At last he came back to his senses after HPZ’s intervention. Oof.

Another thing, HPZ does not take down the listing even though you already have sold it outside HPZ. Some listings are even months old. So be careful about that. That’s why I said email them first about the product availability.

You sold the Aune!!?? Why mate?

Yes, sold both Aune X1S Pro and X7S.
x1spro was underpowered and x7s was only a notch better in amplification when using single ended at 38ohm.
X7s may be much powerful at high impedance and surely powerful in balanced mode but both devices were a bit warm sounding to my taste.
I know like some other audio fool I trained myself for neutral to a hint of bright signature, now I've almost tuned myself for neutral and balanced sound and I'm happy.
Right now the only item I am waiting for is Fiio K9pro.

Back