Share your automations

Very interesting thread indeed. Here is my bit.

I have ~40 devices that are being controlled and/or managed through multiple protocols. Here is what I have achieved so far:

All 6 ACs controlled through IR blasters. These are legacy split ACs that don't have inbuilt wifi, so using IR blaster. Controls include- temperature, on/off , timer, schedule etc
4 Geysers through 16A wifi plugs. This is very handy as basis the temperature they turn or off, and have timer as well. Significant control on energy wastage.
All fans and lights.. using multiple formats - sonoff switches, wifi bulbs/tubelights, remote switches through IR blaster. Can control on/off operation, fan speed, light timings etc.
Cleaning through Vacuum robo mop.. daily timed schedule
All 6 room heaters - their on/off operation basis the ambient room temperature
Motion sensors in all toilets, a few cupboards, and passage way. (trying to figure out on how to connect them through wifi)
AVR & TV - on off and volume operation, and wifi plugs for hard cut-off

Almost all devices can be controlled through voice command - every room has either alexa echo dot, or Google assistant device.
All rooms have IR blaster. So can throw any legacy gadget with IR capability and control the same.
IR blaster also double as humidity & temperature sensor..

Next that I am working is to Automate the control of curtains.

Did I miss anything?

@NT40 could you link to the ir blaster models you are using?
These:

Very interesting thread indeed. Here is my bit.

I have ~40 devices that are being controlled and/or managed through multiple protocols. Here is what I have achieved so far:

All 6 ACs controlled through IR blasters. These are legacy split ACs that don't have inbuilt wifi, so using IR blaster. Controls include- temperature, on/off , timer, schedule etc
4 Geysers through 16A wifi plugs. This is very handy as basis the temperature they turn or off, and have timer as well. Significant control on energy wastage.
All fans and lights.. using multiple formats - sonoff switches, wifi bulbs/tubelights, remote switches through IR blaster. Can control on/off operation, fan speed, light timings etc.
Cleaning through Vacuum robo mop.. daily timed schedule
All 6 room heaters - their on/off operation basis the ambient room temperature
Motion sensors in all toilets, a few cupboards, and passage way. (trying to figure out on how to connect them through wifi)
AVR & TV - on off and volume operation, and wifi plugs for hard cut-off

Almost all devices can be controlled through voice command - every room has either alexa echo dot, or Google assistant device.
All rooms have IR blaster. So can throw any legacy gadget with IR capability and control the same.
IR blaster also double as humidity & temperature sensor..

Next that I am working is to Automate the control of curtains.

Did I miss anything?
How do you control your geysers? That looks like a very interesting use case and I would like to try it out in my house. I have a bit sketchy wifi in 2 of my bathrooms, but nevertheless, I would love to know the logic on them.

How do you control your geysers? That looks like a very interesting use case and I would like to try it out in my house. I have a bit sketchy wifi in 2 of my bathrooms, but nevertheless, I would love to know the logic on them.
you can get 16A wifi plugs and set automation on them for turn on/ turn off or set timer automation after a turn on.
this can be triggered via automation
used by alexa voice
used by google voice

another alternative that are hidden and goes behind the eletrical board are shelly/sonoff/etc

I think he'll be connecting the smart plugs and geyser. He'll be controlling the smart plug (geyser) using home/alexa

I am using 16A smart plugs. Am using Smart Life app that gives me option to set condition base automation, eg.. If temperature is less 10 then turn on the Geyser for every 10 minutes in one hour period.. kind of multiple ways to set automation tasks.

I am using 16A smart plugs. Am using Smart Life app that gives me option to set condition base automation, eg.. If temperature is less 10 then turn on the Geyser for every 10 minutes in one hour period.. kind of multiple ways to set automation tasks.
Is that app a common one like google home or a band specific one?

How does it sense the water temperature?

Just curious, won’t geysers turn off once water inside has reached certain temperature? Please correct me if I’m wrong :)

Just curious, won’t geysers turn off once water inside has reached certain temperature? Please correct me if I’m wrong :)
It is also about turning the geyser "on" once overall temperature drops below pre determined setting. Say, if temp in city below 5, turn on the geyser for 30 mins or if its between 6 and 10 turn it on for 15 minutes or so

Not to sound rude, but that sounds like a weird use case. One would switch on the geyser when they need to take a bath. Usually one would switch the geyser on in the morning when they wake up and then on use case basis rest of the day.
We use hot water all day, so we just keep it switched on and let the thermostat do the job. But when we were in hotter climate, we would only switch on the geyser in the morning or whenever we wanted to take a bath.

Thanks @theironhorse99 and @NT40 for the clarification.

Is there a way to link a thermostat to the smart plug so that the dumb geyser shuts off at the required temp? If yes, how to ensure that the thermostat is indeed gets the right values from the geyser?

Back