Budget 21-30k Shift from 2700 to 5600X?

Sammoka

Disciple
Using a GTX 1060 with a ASUS Prime A320M-K, 16Gb 3200mhz ram, kalong with a 2700 with a 450W PSU. Is it worth the jump? I need to upgrade the motherboard and PSU as it is. Also using a Mini ITX case so no matx or atx suggestions please.

What is your use
This one is primarily an editing and streaming not to mention a multimedia machine so gaming included apart from my main work machine. Not to mention I do use a intel 10900K for my main machine and would like to have a backup rig with good performance.

Yes, it's worth the jump. The 5600X is about 25% faster on an average than 2700. You'll see serious IPC gains, which will turn into better FPS in demanding & esports titles.

editing and streaming
Well worth the upgrade. The 3600(X)(T) itself is pretty close to the 3700(X) in terms of multi core and beats it in single core, so a 5600X, which is very close tot he multicore of a 3700X and destroys every Gen before it in single core, will be a very good upgrade. It might have lesser number of cores but the IPC and clockspeed improvements more than make up for it, beating even 3700X in many benchmarks, including productivity, and all games. Moreover the overclocking headroom with the 5th Gen chips is actually quite decent and you can get a but more performance if you wish so

don't update is what I would say.
I really need to update that motherboard right now as it’s basically not a good fit in my case (as you can guess the case is an ITX case) and an upgrade in CPU can also come through with that motherboard update. Same thing for the PSU.

Well worth the upgrade. The 3600(X)(T) itself is pretty close to the 3700(X) in terms of multi core and beats it in single core, so a 5600X, which is very close tot he multicore of a 3700X and destroys every Gen before it in single core, will be a very good upgrade. It might have lesser number of cores but the IPC and clockspeed improvements more than make up for it, beating even 3700X in many benchmarks, including productivity, and all games. Moreover the overclocking headroom with the 5th Gen chips is actually quite decent and you can get a but more performance if you wish so
On my main workstation machine I have been the ML algorithms I use primarily require cores and power, the 5600x is really that good?

Yes, it's worth the jump. The 5600X is about 25% faster on an average than 2700. You'll see serious IPC gains, which will turn into better FPS in demanding & esports titles.
Won’t there be a GPU bottleneck as it’s a 1060? Or there could be visible gains? Would love to get a 3070 for this small rig but apparently the shortage and RP tech flash sales being really unreliable, would it be even worth it?

On my main workstation machine I have been the ML algorithms I use primarily require cores and power, the 5600x is really that good?
If you don't want the 5800x, which will be better for editing and streaming, the 5600x will definitely give a bump in gaming from your current processor (might need a GPU upgrade too but at least the processor won't be a bottleneck going forward). When it comes to core-heavy tasks the 5600x is somewhat on par with the 3700x, give or take a few. If cores are your primary need then maybe consider some Intel 8/10 core options?

Won’t there be a GPU bottleneck as it’s a 1060?
For gaming the current 1060 will most likely bottleneck, but for editing and streaming the 5600X should still provide a very good uplift compared to the 2700. Plus in case you decide to upgrade to something like a 3070 in he future, the 5600X will be more than adequate for it, compared to a 2700 which will more than likely bottleneck it (at least in 1080p and 1440p high refresh rate gaming).

Won’t there be a GPU bottleneck as it’s a 1060? Or there could be visible gains? Would love to get a 3070 for this small rig but apparently the shortage and RP tech flash sales being really unreliable, would it be even worth it?
Yes, there will be GPU bottleneck. But, the 5600X will help in getting better minimum FPS and frame-rate consistency.
Moreover, the difference will also be dependent on the resolution you'll be playing. At higher resolutions such as 4K or 1440P, games become GPU dependent meaning GPU bottleneck will be more visible.

However, the 5600X will definitely give you the ideal platform to upgrade in the future. With the bitcoin prices falling, expect second-hand RTX GPUs to flood the market pretty soon. Or if you can grab an RTX 3070/3080 at MSRP from Rashi Peripherals.

Intel 8/10 core options?
9th and 10th gen Intel 8 core processors aren't that much ahead in multicore than the 5600X (I think not more than 15-20% at most on stock), and definitely worse in single core (provided decent RAM is used). The gap can be closed a fair bit by some simple changes to pbo settings and not even traditional overclocking. Plus Intel chips draw more than double the power of the 5600X to provide similar levels of performance and their mobos are much more expensive when comparing VRMs and features to an equivalent X470/B550/X570 motherboard. The 8 and 10 core chips themselves will also be more expensive than the 5600X and will require beefier (read as: more expensive) cooling. So unless one requires Intel for some particular reason, I wouldn't recommend going for them since they provide worse value in almost every way.

I was thinking 10700k, but yeah the other 10th gen and K series options add to the costs. The 5600x seems like the best option, and the 5800x will run hotter too, even without considering the ITX case (maybe workable, not sure).

Last edited:
I was thinking 10700k, but yeah the other 10th gen and K series options add to the costs. The 5600x seems like the best option, and the 5800x will run hotter too, even without considering the ITX case (maybe workable, not sure).
You can work around with the heating in the ITX case for 5800X but yeah, 5600X looks good but seems to be available at a premium.

Yes, there will be GPU bottleneck. But, the 5600X will help in getting better minimum FPS and frame-rate consistency.
Moreover, the difference will also be dependent on the resolution you'll be playing. At higher resolutions such as 4K or 1440P, games become GPU dependent meaning GPU bottleneck will be more visible.

However, the 5600X will definitely give you the ideal platform to upgrade in the future. With the bitcoin prices falling, expect second-hand RTX GPUs to flood the market pretty soon. Or if you can grab an RTX 3070/3080 at MSRP from Rashi Peripherals.
Wouldnt count on the prices falling as in 2017 the same thing happened before making a high of nearly 20000 then, but things are a bit different now, the only way it goes down is if all countries start going against/place a ban on crypto or every country makes their own as even for crypto they are exchanging the same for fiat currency.

Regardless, are the 5600x placed at a good value right now? This is apparently an XT year so we can get 5600 along with the XT variants in that case would it make sense to just upgrade the motherboard and the PSU?

Wouldnt count on the prices falling as in 2017 the same thing happened before making a high of nearly 20000 then, but things are a bit different now, the only way it goes down is if all countries start going against/place a ban on crypto or every country makes their own as even for crypto they are exchanging the same for fiat currency.

Regardless, are the 5600x placed at a good value right now? This is apparently an XT year so we can get 5600 along with the XT variants in that case would it make sense to just upgrade the motherboard and the PSU?
If you want to wait for the Zen 3 refresh this year, then I guess it makes no sense to upgrade the motherboard & PSU right now.

ITX motherboards cost a bomb and if I were you, I'd wait and update all at once. There's stock scarcity in these times with lockdowns in most states, pushing up the prices higher.
At least wait for the Independence Day sale.

once you are on 8c /16t ,dont go back to 6c/12t .Hold you horses and directly jump onto AM5 spending money on dead socket would be painful ,rather pickup a better gpu ,since the crypto has crashed

once you are on 8c /16t ,dont go back to 6c/12t .Hold you horses and directly jump onto AM5 spending money on dead socket would be painful ,rather pickup a better gpu ,since the crypto has crashed
That's true, as for the crypto thing its gone back up, you're not going to see an end to it anytime soon.

I would suggest to not upgrade as am5 is next year and it would look like an good upgrade in your case. what resolution do you game at ?
what games you play ?

Back