Budget 21-30k Shift from 2700 to 5600X?

I would suggest to not upgrade as am5 is next year and it would look like an good upgrade in your case. what resolution do you game at ?
what games you play ?
This rig moves around the house alot, either connected to a 4K TV or a 1080P TV and sometimes a 2k display
If you want to wait for the Zen 3 refresh this year, then I guess it makes no sense to upgrade the motherboard & PSU right now.

ITX motherboards cost a bomb and if I were you, I'd wait and update all at once. There's stock scarcity in these times with lockdowns in most states, pushing up the prices higher.
At least wait for the Independence Day sale.
Also if possible can you share the dates when to expect sales? Just a baseline to help to get the best prices.

Last edited:
Also if possible can you share the dates when to expect sales? Just a baseline to help to get the best prices.
In case of MD Computers, the sale dates are as follows:
  • Independence Day
  • Janmastami
  • Ganesh Chaturthi
  • Diwali
  • Black Friday
  • Christmas
  • New Year
Expect the other computer stores to follow a similar pattern. Moreover, look out for brand day sales (discounts only on a particular brand), which generally lasts for 1-2 days.

In case of MD Computers, the sale dates are as follows:
  • Independence Day
  • Janmastami
  • Ganesh Chaturthi
  • Diwali
  • Black Friday
  • Christmas
  • New Year
Expect the other computer stores to follow a similar pattern. Moreover, look out for brand day sales (discounts only on a particular brand), which generally lasts for 1-2 days.
Thanks for the info! But atleast I can figure out the next sale is not anytime soon.

AFAIK, B450, B550 and X570 boards won't be AM5 compatible right? B550 and X570 boards are already expensive. AM5 seems distant and expensive IMO, please correct my thought process if it's inaccurate.

AFAIK, B450, B550 and X570 boards won't be AM5 compatible right? B550 and X570 boards are already expensive. AM5 seems distant and expensive IMO, please correct my thought process if it's inaccurate.
Correct AM5 will use a new socket whenever AMD does decide to release it at the same time we dont know how well the support for the motherboard could go, nor do we know when will it be launched, nor the pricing at the time, will it be better absolutely, but in the tech world nothing practically is future proof buy whatever is good at the time don't play the wait you'll get something better approach.

Jumping from 2700 to 5600x will roughly net you a 25 - 35 % increase in multicore performance. Single threaded performance will of course increase drastically but your 1060 in most cases will not be able to leverage it. Now, you have to decide if spending ~ 27k is worth the performance gain for your use case or not. Honestly, if you are not going to be upgrading your GPU anytime soon, I would say it's not worth it at all.

Now if you have the budget & you want some serious increase in multi thread performance, you only have couple of options at around 38-40k mark. You could either go with a 5800x, this would give you a 60-70% multithread performance increase but a better bet would be to go with a 3900x/xt. They are also going for roughly for ~ 40k & would give you almost twice the multithread performance of your 2700 with good gaming performance. Also, 3900x should ideally be easier to cool compared to a 5800x so that would also be a plus. Pair this with B550i motherboard & you should be gold.

IMO there is no point in waiting for AM5, we don't know when it will come & how the availability will be considering that the complete 3rd gen stack is not yet released. Also AM5 will introduce DDR5 which would be extremely expensive in the initial years. Let the AM5 platform mature for a couple of years before investing into it & that will easily take around 3-4 years to happen.

Jumping from 2700 to 5600x will roughly net you a 25 - 35 % increase in multicore performance. Single threaded performance will of course increase drastically but your 1060 in most cases will not be able to leverage it. Now, you have to decide if spending ~ 27k is worth the performance gain for your use case or not. Honestly, if you are not going to be upgrading your GPU anytime soon, I would say it's not worth it at all.

Now if you have the budget & you want some serious increase in multi thread performance, you only have couple of options at around 38-40k mark. You could either go with a 5800x, this would give you a 60-70% multithread performance increase but a better bet would be to go with a 3900x/xt. They are also going for roughly for ~ 40k & would give you almost twice the multithread performance of your 2700 with good gaming performance. Also, 3900x should ideally be easier to cool compared to a 5800x so that would also be a plus. Pair this with B550i motherboard & you should be gold.

IMO there is no point in waiting for AM5, we don't know when it will come & how the availability will be considering that the complete 3rd gen stack is not yet released. Also AM5 will introduce DDR5 which would be extremely expensive in the initial years. Let the AM5 platform mature for a couple of years before investing into it & that will easily take around 3-4 years to happen.
Exactly my point on AM5 and thats why I cant care less, firstly trying to get a new motherboard as the one which I have needs an immediate change for any upgrade whatsoever. Getting a lead on an x570i which by all means is coming to me at quite a good price. So will take it from there, as for the GPU, in these conditions its quite hard to even say that a GPU upgrade is on the horizon definitely if I get a good deal but no on anything absurd (3070 for 1.1L seriously?).

DDR5 rams and AMD`s am5 lga1718 is more or less confirmed ,intel is also jumping on the DDR5 bandwagon and intel is bringing or backing ATX12VO PSU and connector (it will take long time to refresh) ,no point in splurging something which might reach end of life .If you go for next gen sockets don't buy something puny like A320 mobo get better boards .

AM5 might happen only by mid next year or later. If Intel is upping the competition, then maybe earlier. It was rumoured that AM5 might be backwards compatible with DDR4 but that no longer seems to be the case, so it's DDR5 only and is going to be expensive. We might know by the end of this year when Alder Lake hits India.

DDR5 rams and AMD`s am5 lga1718 is more or less confirmed ,intel is also jumping on the DDR5 bandwagon and intel is bringing or backing ATX12VO PSU and connector (it will take long time to refresh) ,no point in splurging something which might reach end of life .If you go for next gen sockets don't buy something puny like A320 mobo get better boards .
Confirmed yes, mainstream? No idea, ram prices? we're in india where even 16GB DDR4 ram would cost you 7-10000, compared to US where 32GB crucial balistix on sale comes to around $130. You need to understand that updates just keep on happening in the tech world, when the ryzen 2700 was launched you had a budget option of B350 boards then B450 now B550, similarly you also had X370, X470 and X570. You cannot pre-empt oh wow Im spending a fortune this is future proof for sure. Also the A320 is a good option for light to medium use as it still supports ryzen 1000, 2000 and 3000.

You play the waiting game, good for you because in tech the next best thing will always be 6 months to 1 year away. Alder lake will have 2 motherboards for DDR4 and DDR5, that means the first gen motherboards will have better memory support sure but you'll have to wait for atleast the 3rd or 4th gen for it to be mainstream and good, similarly you have PCIE gen 4 which isnt mainstream yet but youd get PCIE 5 by 2023 and maybe 6 by 2025, does that mean you should stay put? If you buy the best now means you wont have to update for around 4-5 years or in some cases where light usage is seen 10 years, as the best will still handle the applications with a breeze and multitasking (12 cores 24 threads or even 8 cores 16 threads) would face no issue whatsoever.

Alder lake to might be also become good aoption , i have heard that intels 7nm chip scheduled for 2023 will have compability with the new platform .that is why i said wait for it

I think waiting for anything right now could end up being a long wait. Availability & prices don't seem to be improving at all, just look at the availability of low end budget 11th gen processors from Intel. They are good value at the MRP but are very hard to find & are overpriced when available. Things may improve in the future but they could equally become worse. There are various factors at play here, Covid + WFH + Crypto & all of them could continue for a long time and are totally unpredictable.

AM5 might still be a long way away as there is still a possibility of Zen3+ launch on current AM4 & alder lake timelines could easily change knowing Intel's history. AMD & Intel also don't have much incentive in launching new products as long as they are able to sell current generation hardware & manufacturing situation doesn't improve.

My advice, if you want something right now -> get a 5800x or 3900x or just forget about upgrading for a couple of years. Honestly, 5600x is just too overpriced for what it offers.

5600x is just too overpriced for what it offers.
Sad but true. But if it comes down to 25K it's good since it has the performance to warrant a somewhat high price.

Also, on the topic of Zen 3+, while earlier there were pretty strong rumours of something beyond just a minor refresh this year, it now looks like it's only going to be an XT refresh which will again be overpriced and probably not offer a whole lot of value. This could again change, we can't really tell for sure. We can hope that such a refresh will push the prices of 5600x/5800x down but then 3600 is still going for ~18K....

Last edited:
a used 5600x at 20 -21 would be kickass ,but than he is let down by a320 but still he could also get used b450
Sad but true. But if it comes down to 25K it's good since it has that performance.

Also, on the topic of Zen+, while earlier there were pretty strong rumours of something beyond just a minor refresh this year, it now looks like it's only going to be an XT refresh which will again be overpriced and probably not offer a whole lot of value. This could again change, we can't really tell for sure. We can hope that such a refresh will push the prices of 5600x/5800x down but then 3600 is still going for ~18K....
Alder lake release will set the future road map for AMD releases

a used 5600x at 20 -21 would be kickass ,but than he is let down by a320 but still he could also get used b450

Alder lake release will set the future road map for AMD releases
Youre betting far too much on alder lake, do remember its because of AMD we have 6-16 core CPUs becoming mainstream, you still havent taken into consideration what I said on buying/upgrading

Youre betting far too much on alder lake, do remember its because of AMD we have 6-16 core CPUs becoming mainstream, you still havent taken into consideration what I said on buying/upgrading
not worth it , i dont think intel will be competitive up till 2023 ,alder lake might force amd to release new products

not worth it , i dont think intel will be competitive up till 2023 ,alder lake might force amd to release new products
Its the other way round AMD is forcing Intel to up their game, one of the reasons why Bob Swan was terminated and Pat Gelsinger took his place. Heres a roadmap on AMD attached below, while intel is prepping for their 7nm AMD's vision is going quite far ahead. Regardless, the PC space has really become lively after Lisa Su came on board not to mention Jenson Huang going ahead for server based CPUs which might soon come to commercial applications? Things are really going to be lively for the next couple of years and there will be wild swings in performance.

Attachments

• AMD-Zen-Roadmap-1024x683.png
    AMD-Zen-Roadmap-1024x683.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 94
I think he just means that if Alder Lake is competitive enough, it will push AMD to get their next gen products out to market quicker and not hold since there's currently no competition at the higher end. As it stands, Intel will already be hitting the market with DDR5 ahead of AMD so let's wait and see how things unfurl. But Zen 4 is only going to happen in late 2022 by the looks of it.

Last edited:
I think he just means that if Alder Lake is competitive enough, it will push AMD to get their next gen products out to market quicker and not hold since there's currently no competition at the higher end. As it stands, Intel will already be hitting the market with DDR5 ahead of AMD so let's wait and see how things unfurl. But Zen 4 is only going to happen in late 2022 by the looks of it.
True lets see, whatever these companies do end up announcing it'll in turn be better for us consumers, and hopefully the prices arent too annoying/stupid.

Back