Laptops Should I buy a Macbook?

Firstly the Macs are not costly at all if you look at what they offer.

Lets take the Macbook Air for example. I got mine 13inch for 53k on snapdeal. its available easily around 56k online.
At this price there is not a single Windows ultra book that offers everything that macbook offers.
> 12hrs battery
> Extremely Portable
> Pretty decent power
> Ram is only 4gb. But First OSX compresses ram so 4gb= 5-6gb. When the ram gets filled it uses the Swap file. SSD speeds are 1.2GBps read thanks to 4lane pci SSD. Its so fast most times you wont notice the swap effect.
> Decent screen. It also gets very bright. Yep its not bad. Only if you do a side by side comparison to a retina screen will you find the faults. After a day or two retina or no retina makes no difference. You get to run the Air at native resolution of 1440 by X. While when you use the retina 13inch at more that 1200* 800 1:4pixel resolution it will be a bit hazy often. Trust me it makes a difference.
> Ambient light sensor. This was such a pleasant surprise. I move from my room to the terrace or the screen facing a window and it brightens up to compensate that.
> The build is just pure amazing. You can lift the screen without it toppling over. There are literally no design flaws. Before buying I though i would hate the bezels but it doesn't even bother me.
> Keyboard backlight. You dont know how useful this is till you use it. Lifesaver when you ahve to type in the dark.
> Resale value, Its just insane the value this attracts in resale.
> People say that the design is 3 years old but it just works so well they dont need to change it. And there are literally no competitors offering all of the above at this low a price.

All in all I'd suggest anyone spending above 35k on a laptop to go for a Macbook Air or Pro if you want more. (Base models are good enough) Unless you are looking for very high storage or graphics card in a budget. These machines are a treat to use. So much attention to details.

OH and you can use windows on them too.
If you also want to watch movies, best to get a separate bigger monitor or TV for 8-10k. I would recommend the HP22fi.

PS- Im a very very long time power window user. But you will spend most of your time in a web browser or a Media player. Only thing I dont like about OSX is that there is no Pot Player replacement. Im not a VLC fan.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply mate.I think that's a good idea to visit a electronic store to check out the differences in screen.But can you tell me thay will air last for 4-5 years keeping in mind that it has only 4 gigs of ram and entry level processor.I mean can you figure it out looking at 4-5 years old mac that are running current osx versions without any problems.
Most Macs from 2010 work very well even today. It has an i5 processor and hd600 graphics, while these arent very topnotch they arent entry level either.

> Keyboard backlight. You dont know how useful this is till you use it. Lifesaver when you ahve to type in the dark.

Never used Macs but love apple products. My sony vaio laptop has backlight and even work laptop (dell latitude) has it and now I cannot do without a backlit keyboard.

What about the Asus UX305? Or the upcoming Surface Books?
Check a ux305 in the store and see. Looks shit. Has a weird purple colour. Screen is 1080p but matte. Has that low powered macbook processor and they launched only 4gb version here. The track pad sucks. I can go on but you should just check the reviews. I have.. Also costs 49K last i checked.

The Surface book costs over 2000$ AFAIK, not launched in India same as the rest of the 3 previous surfaces. The device is good, but is saw a review where they showed it scratches the surface of your table pretty bad. But its a good device by Microsoft. Unfortunately first gen.

I even considered tablets and so much other stuff but the struggle with them is very real if you just want a good reliable machine.

Thanks for the reply mate.I think that's a good idea to visit a electronic store to check out the differences in screen.But can you tell me thay will air last for 4-5 years keeping in mind that it has only 4 gigs of ram and entry level processor.I mean can you figure it out looking at 4-5 years old mac that are running current osx versions without any problems.
I used a macbook pro with 4gb RAM and it's runs latest OS without any issues. Most OSX users would say the same.
But i would highly recommend getting one with 8GB to be future proof.
I still get almost 5hrs battery life while my other 2 year old Dell dies in less than 2 hours and getting worse.
It has become a portable desktop as it constantly needs power.

Actually I thought a lot about it and came to a conclusion that it would be more practical to go for a air.Yes I know I have earlier said that I want a machine thats future proof but I think the way i got bored of windows i might get bored of mac too and might want to change.So if I go for a air I will keep in mind that I don't to use this machine for more than 3 years and i think 3 years is more than enough to have a machine and as we know technology keeps changing for good and there might be something more interesting after 3 years and i don't want to stop myself to go for it just because i have spent so much on a machine and i have to stick to it to get the value of my money.And I think air will last for three years without any problems. Am I right?Feel free to correct me whereever i
am wrong.And if i go for air i will be left with enough money to buy a good tablet for me.

Guys I just want to ask two things-
1>Will Air be powerful enough for the usage of 2-3 years?By this I mean will it be able to run upcoming osx versions for atleast 3 years without getting laggy?
2>Like the way softwares which are made for windows 7 can also be run on on windows 10 and vice versa. So I want to ask if the software made for el capitan can also be run on Yosemite or vice versa

1>Will Air be powerful enough for the usage of 2-3 years?By this I mean will it be able to run upcoming osx versions for atleast 3 years without getting laggy?
2>Like the way softwares which are made for windows 7 can also be run on on windows 10 and vice versa. So I want to ask if the software made for el capitan can also be run on Yosemite or vice versa
1. I have a mid 2012 mac air, recently upgraded to El Capitan, no issues with the compatibility and speed, I am amazed at the way the mac handles updates. OS updates literally been a non-issue so far.
2. Apple provided software are updated to support the newer OS release. 3rd party software updates are naturally dev dependent like in windows.
From my personal experience my investment on the mac was the best on a laptop.

If past performance is anything to go by then you wont have any issues. And frankly the SSD speeds are 4 times faster than most market SSD, and few windows laptop come with ssds in the first place so, performance shall not be an issue in the next 3-5 yrs. As explained earlier the Ram will also not be as big a bottle neck as we think due to SSD speed.

Issue you might face is that of harddisk space since base model comes with only 120gb. I have a 64gb pendrive in one usb port all the time. and its so small that its barely an issue and gets much needed space. And have a few externals that I rarely need. Your needs might differ.

I was looking to buy a MacBook Pro too, almost bought it, but then I came across the Dell XPS 15 9550 & Surface Book Pro.
Till Apple releases the next version of MBP, there are much better options in the market for the same price. (Asus UX501 is a good machine too, has the same SM951 SSD)

Also Macbook build quality is top notch.
Hence always check before you buy in an electronic store to see the difference.

PS: My MBP got drenched in beer and came to life itself after a week and worked perfectly.

Hey guys today i went to apple retailer and he said the air is priced at 72k while on amazon or snapdeal i am getting this for only 56-58k.The retailer told me apple products bought online will not be considered genuine and there will be no warranty on it.is this true?if yes how come online retailers are selling at such a low price?

Firstly the Macs are not costly at all if you look at what they offer.

Lets take the Macbook Air for example. I got mine 13inch for 53k on snapdeal. its available easily around 56k online.
At this price there is not a single Windows ultra book that offers everything that macbook offers.
> 12hrs battery
> Extremely Portable
> Pretty decent power
> Ram is only 4gb. But First OSX compresses ram so 4gb= 5-6gb. When the ram gets filled it uses the Swap file. SSD speeds are 1.2GBps read thanks to 4lane pci SSD. Its so fast most times you wont notice the swap effect.
> Decent screen. It also gets very bright. Yep its not bad. Only if you do a side by side comparison to a retina screen will you find the faults. After a day or two retina or no retina makes no difference. You get to run the Air at native resolution of 1440 by X. While when you use the retina 13inch at more that 1200* 800 1:4pixel resolution it will be a bit hazy often. Trust me it makes a difference.
> Ambient light sensor. This was such a pleasant surprise. I move from my room to the terrace or the screen facing a window and it brightens up to compensate that.
> The build is just pure amazing. You can lift the screen without it toppling over. There are literally no design flaws. Before buying I though i would hate the bezels but it doesn't even bother me.
> Resale value, Its just insane the value this attracts in resale.
> People say that the design is 3 years old but it just works so well they dont need to change it. And there are literally no competitors offering all of the above at this low a price.

All in all I'd suggest anyone spending above 35k on a laptop to go for a Macbook Air or Pro if you want more. (Base models are good enough) Unless you are looking for very high storage or graphics card in a budget. These machines are a treat to use. So much attention to details.

OH and you can use windows on them too.
If you also want to watch movies, best to get a separate bigger monitor or TV for 8-10k. I would recommend the HP22fi.

PS- Im a very very long time power window user. But you will spend most of your time in a web browser or a Media player. Only thing I dont like about OSX is that there is no Pot Player replacement. Im not a VLC fan.
As you said you bought air from Snapdeal so did you get warranty?did you face any other issues after buying from snapdeal?

Apple doesn't even ask for the bill for warranty so i'm not sure how they check if you have bought it online.
They provide warranty using the S/L no. You can check your warranty by entering it on apple website.
There might be small difference between when you actually bought the product and till when the warranty is valid in which case they accept the original bill.

I bought my macbook pro in HK and it's power adaptor died which i got replaced in India without showing any bill or anything.

Hey guys today i went to apple retailer and he said the air is priced at 72k while on amazon or snapdeal i am getting this for only 56-58k.The retailer told me apple products bought online will not be considered genuine and there will be no warranty on it.is this true?if yes how come online retailers are selling at such a low price?
Dont worry about it. You can check it online when you get it. if it doesnt show return it. These Apple store aholes will obviously misguide you cause they stand to make 20k on each sale. Apple sells online in all countries including amazon and other retailers.

The Unibody Mac Book Pro's definitely makes for a sturdy laptops, but Mac OS is shitty and is becoming increasingly so with each release. Mac OS may be fine for casual use, but if you are a power user, you would soon start running into issues.
That said, If you want a sturdy laptop, I would still recommend the Mac Book Pro as a great option, but I would reduce the size of Mac OS partition to the bare minimum and install Windows 7 or Windows 10 in parallel.

Another option is to go for a good 2 in 1 windows hybrid. You can always install Mac OS if you want to try it out on such a machine, but in addition you will also be able to setup Android as another bootable OS. You can also go the AMIDuOS route for your android fix if you don't want to install Android as a bootable OS.

http://www.apple.com/in/buy/catalogresellers/
this might be of your help , buying from authorized resellers is same as buying from apple directly.

The Unibody Mac Book Pro's definitely makes for a sturdy laptops, but Mac OS is shitty and is becoming increasingly so with each release. Mac OS may be fine for casual use, but if you are a power user, you would soon start running into issues.

I'm sure almost all power users have mac/pc too as their secondary system, and are pretty proficient in operating both.

Last edited:
Back