Storage Solutions Should I buy an SSD from Amazon.com international?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Hope I'm posting in the right section.

I wanted to ask whether I should purchase the Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB SSD (M.2 slot stick) from Amazon.com US site to be shipped to Pune (they do offer international shipping with import duty deposit taken).

The SSD costs USD $349 and around another $50 for shipping and duties (deposit). Might go for the 256 GB model if budget becomes an issue.

More than the cost part, I'm looking for advice on whether it's OK (will it reach me safely) to order and will Amazon and their courier handle import and delivery to my doorstep without me having to do anything?

I am planning to build a following rig: (other parts I will get locally/online)

Intel Core i5 6500 skylake CPU
ASUS H170-Pro mobo
Some 16GB RAM (2x8GB) brand.
This SSD in the M.2 slot :)

Thanks.

PS: Same item on newegg.com seems to be coming to higher cost.

Yes, worst thing that can happen is that it arrives damanged, in which case you will have to return it to Amazon (they will provide you with return label)

will Amazon and their courier handle import and delivery to my doorstep without me having to do anything?

Yes. If it ships by Aramex (best IMO), you get an e-mail before it lands in India asking for KYC documents (this is Indian requirement). If it is shipped via DHL, the tracking page on the DHL site will hold the shipment until you register on their KYC website.

Pune has octroi I guess, I have no idea how that will affect the last mile delivery.

Shucks, forgot about octroi. There are a couple of pages on Amazon.com about this too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117970
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201119100

I guess I'll wait for some time and hope this SSD becomes available in India officially with warranty, trying to control the urge.[DOUBLEPOST=1449044127][/DOUBLEPOST]Aaaand I see it's listed on onlyssd.com as well :) Still need to figure out warranty info - sent them a query.[DOUBLEPOST=1449044370][/DOUBLEPOST]Aaaand it's also listed on Samsung's India website. So I guess I don't have to wait long.

Last edited:
Have ordered quite a few items. All have reached me in 3-5days. The last one - evga liquid cooler reached in 48 hours.

Via which shipper did you get stuff delivered? Duty charges levied or required you to clear them personally?

[QUOTE="
Pune has octroi I guess, I have no idea how that will affect the last mile delivery.[/QUOTE]

Pune does not have any Octroi. Octroi was abolished quite some time back. I have ordered computer parts from newegg.com and amazon.com and got it delivered without any KYC documents. Amazon.com too does have any such complications.

on ebay india there is a seller who is selling one after coupon it comes around to 29944 - with warrnaty and all......hope that helps

Prefer to avoid ebay :D The amazon.com one (no warranty?) is coming to around 26-27k all inclusive I guess. But I'm thinking of getting it from onlyssd.com for 31k anyway for the warranty.[DOUBLEPOST=1449183441][/DOUBLEPOST]
Have ordered quite a few items. All have reached me in 3-5days. The last one - evga liquid cooler reached in 48 hours.

@Chaos did the customs/import duties get charged in line with amazon's estimates with no surprises?

yeah you maybe right, ebay at times can be a pain, onlyssd is peace of mind though with warranty support etc.
Again even if we consider buyingf rom usa and god forbid need to send it to rma (which hardly happens) since its small size and our India foreign post office , it cud be a better chance to take.IMO. but then again it will save 5-6k
so yeah better is only ssd , also congrats inadvance in gettng this beast, please share your review

also congrats inadvance in gettng this beast, please share your review

Thanks, but it's still a pipe dream right now, really wish there were alternatives (competition) to bring down the premium pricing of this thing. I'm worried if I bite the bullet and buy it now, then will soon regret it if other brands launch similar stuff and prices drop :D

Thanks, but it's still a pipe dream right now, really wish there were alternatives (competition) to bring down the premium pricing of this thing. I'm worried if I bite the bullet and buy it now, then will soon regret it if other brands launch similar stuff and prices drop :D
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3011...ly-closing-in-on-traditional-hard-drives.html

"Research firm DRAMeXchange projects average SSD prices to hit $0.24 per gigabyte in 2016, down from $0.39 per gigabyte this year, Computerworld reports. Those prices will see another dramatic drop to $0.17 per gigabyte in 2017. Meanwhile, HDD prices are projected to stagnate at $0.06 per gigabyte over the next few years. "

Ordered the same from onlyssd/primeabgb yesterday, should reach me in a couple of days too, along with FK/AZ orders for CPU, mobo and RAM :D Pretty stoked waiting to get off my old Q6600 and on to Skylake platform!

Back