Should I buy the Galaxy nexus?

caber

Disciple
1. Q: Budget?

A: 21k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?

A: Anything

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Anything

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: 3G.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: Camera, mails and internet.

10. Q: Any other requirements?

A: None

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

A: Galaxy nexus

I'm rather tempted by the $399 price tag of the Galaxy nexus in the Play store, but the only thing holding me back is warranty, is there any chance Samsung are going to release it in India in the near future? And if they do, can it beat $399?

Not really. I had bought a i9003 and it clearly said Galaxy S - Super Clear LCD on the front and i9003 on the back.

Yes, by looking at the model number on the sticker.

It is an issue when the buyer is nit well informed about hardware differences.

Do you not find it necessary to list i9003 as Galaxy SL instead of Galaxy S - Super Clear LCD?

Even this difference is noticeable to even gullible buyers; but what about differences in gpu? There is a world of a difference in performance of SGX540 and SGX530.

It is getting similar to Samsung's lottery policy on TV Panels..

It is not ethical and it is not good for the buyer because samsung can very well replace your i9000/i9100 with i9003/i9100G incase of rma in that case without concerning with the buyer.

It is an issue when the buyer is nit well informed about hardware differences.

Do you not find it necessary to list i9003 as Galaxy SL instead of Galaxy S - Super Clear LCD?

Even this difference is noticeable to even gullible buyers; but what about differences in gpu? There is a world of a difference in performance of SGX540 and SGX530.

In case of i9100 vs i9100G I agree that the difference is not clear from the package. not a lot of people read the sticker. but in case of i9003, they had mentioned the model number as well. As for differences in GPU, I got it for ~14.x k so obviously I was expecting performance inferior to Galaxy S which was retailing for ~21k at that point. the case of i9000 and i9003 is totally different from i9100 vs i9100G.

The degree to which people may know about hardware differences cannot be normalised to ascertain what degree of clarity the box must carry. for example, a relative of mine purchase and Android phone and when I asked him which one, he said Samsung Galaxy. That's all he knew/remembered about it.

How do you make such people aware of the differences between different CPU's and GPU's. these are the same people that go to hardware shops and say, "bhaiya 2GB ka graphics card de do".

In case of i9100 vs i9100G I agree that the difference is not clear from the package. not a lot of people read the sticker. but in case of i9003, they had mentioned the model number as well. As for differences in GPU, I got it for ~14.x k so obviously I was expecting performance inferior to Galaxy S which was retailing for ~21k at that point. the case of i9000 and i9003 is totally different from i9100 vs i9100G.

The degree to which people may know about hardware differences cannot be normalised to ascertain what degree of clarity the box must carry. for example, a relative of mine purchase and Android phone and when I asked him which one, he said Samsung Galaxy. That's all he knew/remembered about it.

How do you make such people aware of the differences between different CPU's and GPU's. these are the same people that go to hardware shops and say, "bhaiya 2GB ka graphics card de do".

yes the degree does differ.

However, I did not see i9003 box, but tried it from a friend.

He told me he got an sgs for 17k locally while it was retailing for 22k

The boot screen says Galaxy S; and to be honest, checking the model number in system > about + being aware of the fact that i9003 is indeed galaxy SL are only ways of knowing that it is different.

The buyer had zte blade OLED before this phone and still he could not differentiate SLCD alot from OLED (SLCD panels on samsung and SonyE are really good)

Not entirely true. Motorola Atrix has a very good performance with the battery.

And moreover, does the S2 leaks 10% battery charge while using and 3% on idling ??

Nor does Nexus leak that much battery on idle. As I said it is because of the very nature of Android that allows people to run apps in background that absolutely kills the battery. For newbies, it can be really frustrating. For us geeks, we have a lot of options like finding the rogue/culprit, flashing a new kernel etc.

For the record, I have owned (and still have) a Atrix and the battery performance is only marginally(~10%) better than on S2/Nexus (It has a higher capacity battery, smaller screen etc.)

Back