CPU/Mobo Should i go for Quad or Duo??

For sheer gaming or no multitasking, a dual core is more than sufficient. The raw speed matters more than the no. of cores, provided its atleast a dual core.

If you want to run many applications at one time, then get a quad core.

If it was me, i would go for just a AMD X3 430 with ur 8800GT, which would give me decent enuf increase in games and headroon for future upgrades as well. And its a triple core, so u can do some multitasking as well. :)

So, what i would suggest is buy the AMD Athlon II X3 430 and be happy. :cool2:

Interesting :)

Anubis said:
LGA 775 is dead.
DDR2 is going to be pretty soon . Already DDR3 has penetrated the market and from January 3 Intel Core i3, core i5 is going to trigger the bomb for mainstreaming DDR3
No more Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quads are made now and will never be made.
Existing stocks are now only cleared out.
I would advise you to sell your mobo and go the AMD AM3 way.
Its futureproof for 2011 and offers better price/performance and budget (quad cores) energy saving cpu's than LGA 775

1)Processor dont buy any processor other than i7 that to 9xx series
1.1)bcause i7 supports Turbo boost mode AND HYPERTHREADING ||i5 only supports turbo boost mode
1.2)why 9xx bcause 9xx series support Triple channel DDR3 ram||i7 8xx supports the old dual channel.
2)MotherboardAs u will be going to buy 9xx it is supported on LGA1366 only (rumors are there that i9(6 physical core) will also be on LGA1366 so future proof)
2.1)But if u buy i5 or i7 8xx then u have to buy LGA 1156 and will have dual channel support
3) Graphic cardCurrently use ur old graphic card and wait for Dx11 card prices to fall down .Dont buy ATI graphic card yet wait for GT300 release also current ATI prices are high.Always dont buy any product just launched like wait for other varient of Dx 11 card they will have good price to performance ratio.
So recommend to buy i7 9xx and LGA1366 motherboard and use old 8800GT for a while. :hap2:

yadusaiyan said:
1)Processor dont buy any processor other than i7 that to 9xx series
1.1)bcause i7 supports Turbo boost mode AND HYPERTHREADING ||i5 only supports turbo boost mode
1.2)why 9xx bcause 9xx series support Triple channel DDR3 ram||i7 8xx supports the old dual channel.
2)MotherboardAs u will be going to buy 9xx it is supported on LGA1366 only (rumors are there that i9(6 physical core) will also be on LGA1366 so future proof)
2.1)But if u buy i5 or i7 8xx then u have to buy LGA 1156 and will have dual channel support
3) Graphic cardCurrently use ur old graphic card and wait for Dx11 card prices to fall down .Dont buy ATI graphic card yet wait for GT300 release also current ATI prices are high.Always dont buy any product just launched like wait for other varient of Dx 11 card they will have good price to performance ratio.
So recommend to buy i7 9xx and LGA1366 motherboard and use old 8800GT for a while. :hap2:

1.1) i5 has improved turbo boost mode.
1.2) i7 8xx has improved turbo boost mode as well as hyper threading. As far as the triple channel memory is concerned, the performance difference is minimal.
2) i9 leaked review shows no improvement in gaming but the difference is considerable in encoding stuff. So I doubt any mainstream gamer will move to i9. So 1156 is a good option for now. You can beat i7 920 with i7 860 and even match the performance of i7 940.
3) Waiting till 3rd quarter of 2010 is not wise. Get the HD 5xxx series when you can.

So recommended to buy, i7 860 and any decent P55 motherboard and a new HD 5xxx card.

:)

Wow, guys check the OPs budget before giving out Core i7 recommendations!!

@ OP, if its only for games i suggest you either overclock ur CPU or get a better CPU (e8400 or a quad core) which would suffice for all your gaming needs when paired with a 4870 or 5750.

Unless you are gaming at insane resolutions, the above upgrade path would more than be enough for most games out there ( i say most as i exclude Crysis here)

And regarding upgradation, it could be a wise decision also to wait for the release of the i3/i5 procs in Jan to get the 775 socket CPUs for throwaway prices.

My recommendation is to get the best mileage of your existing rig as possible.

@OP:

Get a C2D + a good OEM HSF (with nice TIM). The E8400 seems like the weapon of choice. It has a good architecture, and will rejuvenate your rig for a while longer.

The E8400 has a 6MB cache and a 9x multiplier so you should be easily able to get it to 4.00Ghz on a P45 board. It will be difficult to get the Quad to 4.00 Ghz on a P45 board.

Once you get the E8400 up to 4.00 Ghz and stable, it will feed data really quick to the GPU and also process applications faster. But on the other hand, multi threaded applications will take advantage of the 4 cores on the Quad, but at slower speeds.

Rockfella said:
Interesting :)

Very. :)

@OP
Use your existing budget on a new GPU.
Sell current GPU > New GPU

Existing PSU is crap, sell it and get something that can power your new GPU.
Sell current PSU > New PSU

Processor will prove to be a bottleneck, maybe even after OCing. If so, sell current one and add a bit more to it for a new CPU. Choose between the E5xxx and the E7xxx. OC them beyond 3.3Ghz/1200Mhz FSB, your motherboard is capable of this.
Sell current > New...

You have a very UN-balanced/underpowered config. at the moment. Comparatively expensive motherboard, weak CPU, weak RAM, "explosive" PSU XD and an ageing, power hungry and hot GPU(still a decent performer though, so stick to ut unless you really need more graphic power). The socket 775 can hold its own provided you are wise with your choice of components. In your case, you can go with the above suggestions, but do consider going for an AM3 setup by selling your current Mobo+CPU+RAM for a 785G board + X2 240/X2 550 BE/X4 620 Processor + 2x2GB DDR3 kit, since bringing your current setup upto its potential would require you to change pretty much everything with the exception of the motherboard.

Buying second hand would also be a very wise choice if sticking to S775( a second hand E7xxx or E8400 will do wonders if upgrading the CPU is what you're looking at ).

Also, +1 to Alias.

Well this thread has been pretty interesting.

The OP when asking for a recommendation between a E8400 and a Q9400 with a budget of 10k gets recommendations of changing the whole system to an AMD and even a recommendation of getting a Core i7 860 (It costs 15k? ) !! And dont discount the post about the doom and gloom of the socket 775!

Ppl, next time read the thread carefully before blurting out random thoughts & configs that pop into your head! I understand the willingness to help which is good but misleading posts dont help anyone here.

^^

I stayed, and did not deviate. The E8400 is good to go for the OP. I am in a similiar situation and contemplating. Though my OC'ed E7400 is running just sweet.

dude add a few more bucks (than an E8400) and take my QX9650 (core 2 extreme). Got double the cache and double the cores :p

asingh said:
@OP:
The E8400 has a 6MB cache and a 9x multiplier so you should be easily able to get it to 4.00Ghz on a P45 board. It will be difficult to get the Quad to 4.00 Ghz on a P45 board.
he may get stuck near 3.6Ghz due to memory limits.....but i got mine to 4.12GHz on a G31 !

Alias said:
Well this thread has been pretty interesting.

The OP when asking for a recommendation between a E8400 and a Q9400 with a budget of 10k gets recommendations of changing the whole system to an AMD and even a recommendation of getting a Core i7 860 (It costs 15k? ) !! And dont discount the post about the doom and gloom of the socket 775!

Ppl, next time read the thread carefully before blurting out random thoughts & configs that pop into your head! I understand the willingness to help which is good but misleading posts dont help anyone here.

Always good to give a few options.
Also, I believe many of the suggestions were adding the cash gained from selling the current hardware to OP's total budget for upgrades.
However, even all of this rationalization doesn't explain the core i5/i7 recommendations. :S

This was asked: " Should i go for Quad or Duo"

This all 'has' been recommend:

1. GPU Upgrade.

2. Wait for fermi.

3. Wait for i5/i3.

4. Again Shanil asked his same question, but in a longer format.

5. Motherboard expenditure for SLI/Xfire.

6. Total socket change, since LGA775 is EOPLed.

7. 2nd Hand Quad.

8. Change to AMD chipset.

9. Move to LGA 1366 / X58.

10. Move to LGA 1156 / P55.

11. C2D E8400 with HSF and OC.

12. Sell all and get AM3 socket.

13. Buy someones QX9650.

14. Stay with current set up.

Either we read it wrong, or OP posted it wrong...!

hey guys i've a q too.
plz hav a luk at my sys config in my siggy.
currently hav 20 - 30k in my hand.
so sud i spend on upgrading my rig or sud i buy a xbox 360?
i game @ 1920x1080 with all eye candy turned on.

if i hafta spend on my rig which r the pats that i sud upgrade?
i also work on vmware/hyper-v

^^

Sorry, missed that. Else you have a well rounded rig. Not much more you can do to it.

Unless you really want to spend the cash:

Sell the 275, and get a 295. Will the board support internal SLI. But even with the 275, you should be managing quite well on your monitor.

Back