Budget Above 40k Should I switch from iPhone 13 to S23 or S24 ?

mayank4823

Disciple
Why I’m thinking of the switch
1. Samsung website is offering me 39k for my 2 year old iPhone 13 if I buy the S24. Claiming GST and applying some coupon will cost me 35k approx after the trade in.
2. Fedup of iOS and average night camera. I used to have a Pixel and that has spoiled me. I trek and travel quite often and star gazing is below average on iPhone 13.
3. I paid around 45-50k for iPhone 13 2 years back because I claimed GST and used bank offers and what not. So getting 39k for it too tempting.

What i’m worried about
1. Battery. iPhone is great when it comes to battery optimisation.
2. Exynos on S24. I’ve heard S23 is a better choice.
3. I really need that lock folder option which is there in iOS. Have some very sensitive pics related to business and some private pics as well. *wink wink*.

Considering everything above, is the switch from iPhone 13 to S23 an upgrade ?

I'd say Apple is a safer bet for the average Joe when it comes to security. Being open source is Android's biggest strength as well as weakness. So for an enthusiast that knows what android devices to stay away from and what settings to tweak, Android may still be a good option.

Let us not forget that Google, first and foremost, is an Ads company.

When there are so many apps installed on Mac, obviously there will be lot of network traffic.
Let me give you an example by taking a snippet from that page.
inance in the backend and uses Apple News to deliver some content on stocks that are marked to follow, icloud for backup and apple.com to pull any other data. So, obviously it will connect to these domains. Apple does not have the superpower of getting data without connecting to external source or internet. If you can, would gladly switch to your app. If this guy did not want to use stocks app, he can just disable that app. Why to go to this much trouble of individually disabling connections. I have seen many other apps in that screenshot and each app is connecting to specific endpoints. If you call this as bad, I am sorry, there is nothing here to discuss.
thats the thing, all that shit? that whatever yahoo finance, weather etc? all of that should be opt-in , and not opt-out. your average joe wont even know that their data is being collected. At the end of the day, you dont know shit about whats being collected or not, which is the nature of closed source.

My point about Apple being just as worse as Google wasnt that Apple collects as much data as Google, my point was, they both collect data, and they both are just as egregious when it comes to privacy theft. thats why I suggested using Graphene OS after de-googling your phone if you really want privacy, anything otherwise is just picking which OEM you would rather get screwed by.
Moreover, macOS is for laptops and desktops where the walled gardens are not put up like how Apple puts them up on iOS device. We can install unsigned apps, install from 3rd party appstores and have lot more control. Showing this to argue that iOS is not secure is not the right way to debate.
yeah, they collect this much from Mac, where its easy to packet sniff and look at processes to see which service is connecting to what, you dont know shit about what goes on iOS, yes apple stops third party services from collecting data and does not openly sell your data to advertisers which yeah is massively better than Google in this regard, but thinking that Apple doesnt have as much data as Google on you is the height of naivety.

P.S. this comment on reddit articulates my point way better than I ever could

thats the thing, all that shit? that whatever yahoo finance, weather etc? all of that should be opt-in , and not opt-out. your average joe wont even know that their data is being collected. At the end of the day, you dont know shit about whats being collected or not, which is the nature of closed source.
Bhai, they pull data from yahoo finance and weather, not push. Data they pull is price of sticks, news on companies etc. They are not selling my data to Yahoo. When I mark a stock in Apple stocks to track, Apple pulls stock data from Yahoo Finance.
1725597285485.png

My point about Apple being just as worse as Google wasnt that Apple collects as much data as Google, my point was, they both collect data, and they both are just as egregious when it comes to privacy theft. thats why I suggested using Graphene OS after de-googling your phone if you really want privacy, anything otherwise is just picking which OEM you would rather get screwed by.
Sorry, there is no comparison. I already gave you data from sources earlier. If you do not want to look at it from a neutral PoV, I cannot help.
yeah, they collect this much from Mac, where its easy to packet sniff and look at processes to see which service is connecting to what, you dont know shit about what goes on iOS, yes apple stops third party services from collecting data and does not openly sell your data to advertisers which yeah is massively better than Google in this regard, but thinking that Apple doesnt have as much data as Google on you is the height of naivety.

How is connection from say Threads app on MacOS hitting Meta servers from my MacOS considered data collection by Apple? You really need to understand how connections work. If data from my Threads app is going to Apple servers, that will be considered snooping unless I allowed Apple to take my threads data. All 3rd party connections in that report you shared about MacOS are to 3rd party services or servers. This is how it works. And Apple first party apps will obviously hit their own servers. I do not see anything off here. Every app today is connected app and it cannot function without a connection to a service on the cloud.

already gave details to you on differences in data collected by Apple and Google. Apples revenue is mainly from services and hardware. Google is entirely depending on ads. The day Apple starts to rely on ads for profits, we will start to see similar practice that Google has. But at this point of time, Apple devices collect lot less data and are better at privacy. I hope you understand these three:

1. Data collected by Apple vs data passing to/from 3rd party apps to 3rd party servers.
2. Data collected and sold by Google.
3. Data collected by Apple.

Bhai, they pull data from yahoo finance and weather, not push. Data they pull is price of sticks, news on companies etc. They are not selling my data to Yahoo. When I mark a stock in Apple stocks to track, Apple pulls stock data from Yahoo Finance.
just one question, why are you focused on just one example? this is just being pedantic for nothing
Sorry, there is no comparison. I already gave you data from sources earlier. If you do not want to look at it from a neutral PoV, I cannot help.
again, you are not getting my point, and I am pretty sure you never will
How is connection from say Threads app on MacOS hitting Meta servers from my MacOS considered data collection by Apple? You really need to understand how connections work. If data from my Threads app is going to Apple servers, that will be considered snooping unless I allowed Apple to take my threads data. All 3rd party connections in that report you shared about MacOS are to 3rd party services or servers. This is how it works. And Apple first party apps will obviously hit their own servers. I do not see anything off here. Every app today is connected app and it cannot function without a connection to a service on the cloud.
I know how network calls work,
already gave details to you on differences in data collected by Apple and Google. Apples revenue is mainly from services and hardware. Google is entirely depending on ads. The day Apple starts to rely on ads for profits, we will start to see similar practice that Google has. But at this point of time, Apple devices collect lot less data and are better at privacy. I hope you understand these three:

1. Data collected by Apple vs data passing to/from 3rd party apps to 3rd party servers.
2. Data collected and sold by Google.
3. Data collected by Apple.
And again, I told you I'm not comparing who's worse at collecting data, I'm saying they both are the same because they collect data at all, and half the shit, you Apple folks love to quote? thats nothing but "trust me bro" from Apple, go through the comment I linked
P.S. pretty sure you didnt read through it the first time, I'll post the link again ( )

I'd trust apple more than google with my data (even though google has most of my data through chrome). iOS just feels more secure than de-googled android phone with custom OS. An exploit on iOS is valued more than android, just tells you which system is more secure.

The jailbreak scene is almost vanished from iOS, apple gives so much money to the people that report an exploit, the sole reason why there is no point in releasing an exploit in public for free.

Meanwhile bootloader unlock in android is walk in a park.

just one question, why are you focused on just one example? this is just being pedantic for nothing
Weather app has multiple sources based on region
1725617896676.png

Here is another example. Again, Apple pulls data feom those sources and is not sending data.
again, you are not getting my point, and I am pretty sure you never will

I know how network calls work,

And again, I told you I'm not comparing who's worse at collecting data, I'm saying they both are the same because they collect data at all, and half the shit, you Apple folks love to quote? thats nothing but "trust me bro" from Apple, go through the comment I linked
P.S. pretty sure you didnt read through it the first time, I'll post the link again ( )
That whole this was around Siri Conversations. Apple has this clearly mentioned in Siri T&C. I beleieve it was made clear by whistleblower that he was working in team that grass Siri responses and made clear that often some things come up when Siri was accidentally activated.

Compare this to Google that takes everything and sells that data.
Bhai, I can really help you to understand the difference. I use iOS and Android, windows and Mac and Linux. If you argue with me acting like I am a Apple fan boy, it's your choice. DM me if you want to know the differences.

1725615965271.png

I can any time disable ask Siri or dictation or both. This removes transcripts that are stored. On my iPhone, I use copilot lot more than Siri and I believe even Microsoft collect some of thetranscriptions to train their model better. This is necessary and it is cleared mentioned in the T&C. However in-house generated data you use to train your model, it can never get better till you train it with real world data. In the end, by training the model better, I am getting better functionality out of Siri or Copilot. I have been regularly providing suggestions to Copilot every time it gives wrong answer and I keep sending feedback to Apple whenever Siri fails at understanding. This is give-and-take model. I let the model to learn better so that it serves better.

But, taking everything that I do on my phone, listening to everything and selling my data to 3rd party advertising companies for making more money is what privacy violation is. By doing this, Google or Facebook or any OEM is not making the platform or features better for end user. Only thing it does is get more money for Google and ad agencies. Worst part is how this data is used to influence elections. That is absolute gross violation of privacy.

1725616312766.png

Excerpt from that post about why Apple is not better than Google for privacy

They kicked social media web site Parler off their App Store without any TOS violations. Because it had Trump supporters.

They removed the app from their store for Russian dissident Nalvanny on orders from the Russian government. Also did China they have blocked and deleted several VPNs, the New York Times app, chat apps used by Hong Kong protestors..LinkedIn is blocked in Russia.

The autocorrect dictionary is now woke. It attempts to rewrite everything in Wokelish.

The Taiwan flag is an emoji. In mainland China it disappears. It Hong Kong it appears but you can’t select it.

Apple refuses to allow any software supporting scripting (except very restricted stuff like IFTTT), or any web browsers but Safari on IOS. Don’t be fooled if you have “Chrome” or “Firefox”. It is skinned Safari. That’s why your passwords, extensions, etc., are all broken,

Technically you can now write your own software but only after sharing your identity and signing agreements and only if the code is written in Swift.

Apple has banned all applications that show a confederate battle flag. Not just political apps but even games about the civil war depicting confederate troops.

Apple censored an app that displayed locations of US drone assassinations.

Apple Siri refuses to give information about music charts like Billboard unless you subscribe to Apple Music. Worse iTunes scans looking for music, uploads it to Apple servers, then deletes them from the phone.

When Apple suspects a user of fraud they secretly ban the user for life, purposely crippling all of their Apple devices. There is no appeal.

I was literally laughing at some of those woke whatever things mentioned in that reddit post. Since when did banning an app considered privacy violation? Some other points about developer policies too have nothing to do with privacy. How is mandating Swift programming a violation of privacy? I do fully agree on the points that Apple is monopolistic and an ass when it comes to App Store fees and service fees. It was pathetic and downright ****ed up asking Patreon to pay them a cut on money paid to creators, money that are given as donation or subscriptions. This is a story for another day and has nothing to do with privacy on phone.

The biggest confusion people have though is in understanding the difference between privacy violation and serving a judiciary notice. I mentioned this earlier as well in this forum. Companies must disclose data to agencies when there is court order. There is no other way around. It's either that or pack up from the country. At this point of time, there is zero evidence that shows that iPhone or Android or Windows or MacOS provide easy way for governments to spy on us. This is just conspiracy theory and has no weightage. Unless they want to spy on someone, they won't collect data. It is just waste of time and resources.

Last edited:
Weather app has multiple sources based on region
View attachment 206965

Here is another example. Again, Apple pulls data feom those sources and is not sending data.

That whole this was around Siri Conversations. Apple has this clearly mentioned in Siri T&C. I beleieve it was made clear by whistleblower that he was working in team that grass Siri responses and made clear that often some things come up when Siri was accidentally activated.

Compare this to Google that takes everything and sells that data.
Bhai, I can really help you to understand the difference. I use iOS and Android, windows and Mac and Linux. If you argue with me acting like I am a Apple fan boy, it's your choice. DM me if you want to know the differences.

View attachment 206962

I can any time disable ask Siri or dictation or both. This removes transcripts that are stored. On my iPhone, I use copilot lot more than Siri and I believe even Microsoft collect some of thetranscriptions to train their model better. This is necessary and it is cleared mentioned in the T&C. However in-house generated data you use to train your model, it can never get better till you train it with real world data. In the end, by training the model better, I am getting better functionality out of Siri or Copilot. I have been regularly providing suggestions to Copilot every time it gives wrong answer and I keep sending feedback to Apple whenever Siri fails at understanding. This is give-and-take model. I let the model to learn better so that it serves better.

But, taking everything that I do on my phone, listening to everything and selling my data to 3rd party advertising companies for making more money is what privacy violation is. By doing this, Google or Facebook or any OEM is not making the platform or features better for end user. Only thing it does is get more money for Google and ad agencies. Worst part is how this data is used to influence elections. That is absolute gross violation of privacy.

View attachment 206963

I was literally laughing at some of those woke whatever things mentioned in that reddit post. Since when did banning an app considered privacy violation? Some other points about developer policies too have nothing to do with privacy. How is mandating Swift programming a violation of privacy? I do fully agree on the points that Apple is monopolistic and an ass when it comes to App Store fees and service fees. It was pathetic and downright ****ed up asking Patreon to pay them a cut on money paid to creators, money that are given as donation or subscriptions. This is a story for another day and has nothing to do with privacy on phone.

The biggest confusion people have though is in understanding the difference between privacy violation and serving a judiciary notice. I mentioned this earlier as well in this forum. Companies must disclose data to agencies when there is court order. There is no other way around. It's either that or pack up from the country. At this point of time, there is zero evidence that shows that iPhone or Android or Windows or MacOS provide easy way for governments to spy on us. This is just conspiracy theory and has no weightage. Unless they want to spy on someone, they won't collect data. It is just waste of time and resources.

man you have to only go on reddit to find such overall shit takes

Compare this to Google that takes everything and sells that data
very well, you didnt get my again,but before explaining it again, I'll just send you some sources for Apple's privacy breaches

1. FBI documentation showing how Apple stores iMessage E2EE encryption keys on iCloud which can be accessed via a search warrant by the FBI, and this has always been Apple's "privacy" schtick since that 2015 case, they added iCloud as a backup service for everything and surprise suprise, unlike in that very specific 2015 case where they were the very bastions of user privacy, they have always coughed up iCloud data to every agency, and even unlocked iphones before then. And again surprise surpise, they declined to encrypt iCloud backups after FBI intervened (source: https://www.techpolicy.press/a-critical-look-at-apples-privacy-record/) Also, since some peeps love to crow about Apple and Privacy, go read the article I linked where they coughed up even iCloud messages, images almost as soon as the law enforcement requested it.

2. This wired article explaining about Apple's increased data collection since its expansion into Advertisements and granted its less egregious than Google but I wont hold my breath when Apple sees that sweet advertising money.

3. you dont think Apple tracking every ****ing touch/click on the app store despite personalized ads and data usage being off as not a violation of your privacy? I'm really glad to think that other countries think otherwise. (source: https://x.com/mysk_co/status/1588308341780262912) P.S. you can also find all your network logs that you want.

4. And this article explains how Apple logs your data by default (again this shit should be opt-in and not opt-out), and how hard it is for an average user to opt out of it.

I have been pretty much using macs right from the last 6 years in my workplace, straight from those shitty space heater Intel pros to my current M3 pro, I think I am a pretty good authority on what kind of bullshit that comes with a Mac (admittedly from a dev's perspective and with MDM installed), I do have very limited iPhone experience though, mainly second hand.
I can any time disable ask Siri or dictation or both. This removes transcripts that are stored.
did you miss the part where the whistleblower Thomas Le Bonnie said it doesnt matter whether Siri is activated or not, all conversations are recorded and that literal ****ing job was to transcribe them?
On my iPhone, I use copilot lot more than Siri and I believe even Microsoft collect some of the transcriptions to train their model better. This is necessary and it is cleared mentioned in the T&C. However in-house generated data you use to train your model, it can never get better till you train it with real world data. In the end, by training the model better, I am getting better functionality out of Siri or Copilot. I have been regularly providing suggestions to Copilot every time it gives wrong answer and I keep sending feedback to Apple whenever Siri fails at understanding. This is give-and-take model. I let the model to learn better so that it serves better.
unlike you, I and many others ****ing mind, when my data is used against my consent for shit like this

so, according to you, an App store can ban any app they want that did not violate any TOS just because the company does not agree with your views, and that too on a monopolistic store (which is under a lawsuit for the aforementioned monopolistic wall gardened policies) where its virtually impossible to attract users to your app aside from the again aforementioned App store? if so *SLOW CLAPS*

also since you didnt bother to quote the whole comment, I'll quote the missed sections
Safari occasionally sends browsing dara to Tencent, the Chinese government “safe browsing” company. This means ALL browsers by the way. It is to check URLs fir “fraudulent” web sites. Also to hunt down dissidents by linking to IP addresses and the GPS dara Apple collects (regardless of whether you turn it off or not).

The iMessage app sends every phone number you text to Apples servers which are recorded for at least 30 days.

IOS has a backdoor for app deletion.
also judging by your previous responses, you did miss the part where

Apple tracks basically everything whether or not you check “do not track” according to an ongoing law suit. For example the Stocks app collects your watch list, stocks that were viewed or searched for, time stamps, and records of articles about stocks that users read. Basically all Apple apps do this
you dont think this is a gross violation of privacy? again slow claps.

also the real hidden gems that you didnt bother to read

Apple Siri refuses to give information about music charts like Billboard unless you subscribe to Apple Music. Worse iTunes scans looking for music, uploads it to Apple servers, then deletes them from the phone.
this I remember, basically if you backed up your songs to Apple Music and if Apple Music happened to have store versions of those songs, they would delete your files and would replace them with Apple Music versions and god forbid, if you missed a payment or something broke on their end or you cancelled your subscription, I dont think I need to say what will happen then. And you dont think this is a gross privacy violation? *slow claps*

and even ignoring this, the fact that they yeet your own music and replace with theirs is egregious in and of itself, dunno about others and while I am definitely not as nutty as some music peeps I know, I have spent years on my music collection, collating metadata, album art, specific editions of tracks and what not, and just the fact that i can lose all this on the whim of a some nutjob policy, makes me ****ing rage.

When Apple suspects a user of fraud they secretly ban the user for life, purposely crippling all of their Apple devices. There is no appeal.
Again, you dont find any issue with the fact that all your devices are bricked and your account with your data and purchases just gone because of some asshole somewhere or a shitty trained AI model flagging your account wrongly? *slow claps*

And finally, if you feel censorship is not a privacy violation then we are at an impasse, you dont get my view of privacy, for me, content being removed just because someone doesnt agree with the views it represents is just as egregious as personalized ads being shoved down my throat.

The biggest confusion people have though is in understanding the difference between privacy violation and serving a judiciary notice. I mentioned this earlier as well in this forum. Companies must disclose data to agencies when there is court order. There is no other way around. It's either that or pack up from the country.
yet Apps like Matrix or Signal operate in those very countries and still offer privacy to end users (removing Telegram since they removed E2EE completely from even private DMs)

And now coming back to explain my point after wasting almost a solid hour typing this essay out (seriously, we need a markdown editor on TE),

I DON'T ****ing care if a company tracks less data from me, even if Google and Apple had their positions flipped, I would still bash Google just as badly, the fact that you track my data and that its opt-out instead of opt-in automatically makes you an asshole in my books. And this is why I suggested Graphene to you originally, its probably the best way of enjoying modern smartphone conveniences while de-googling or more like removing all tracking from your smartphone which will not make your smartphone a brick

P.S. since you love to cherry pick stuff, here's the abstract from the pdf you linked,

We investigate what data iOS on an iPhone shares with Apple and what data Google Android on a Pixel phone shares with Google. We find that even when minimally configured and the handset is idle both iOS and Google Android share data with Apple/Google on average every 4.5 mins. The phone IMEI, hardware serial number, SIM serial number and IMSI, handset phone number etc are shared with Apple and Google. Both iOS and Google Android transmit telemetry, despite the user explicitly opting out of this. When a SIM is inserted both iOS and Google Android send details to Apple/Google. iOS sends the MAC addresses of nearby devices, e.g. other handsets and the home gateway, to Apple together with their GPS location. Users have no opt out from this and currently there are few, if any, realistic options for preventing this data sharing.

Bhai, you are completely mixing up Apple's (overdone and offensive) App Store practices, privacy practices and government orders for data handover. Get a clarity first and stop quoting random posts from the internet. Not going to again correct you by showing factual errors (like how I did in your past two references) from this. Get a clarity first, try to understand difference between what data is collected by Google and what is collected by Apple. I already showed you reports on the amount of data collected. Stop blaming apple for 3rd party app sending data from their app to their servers. I think this a first that someone is blaming Apple for connections between 3rd party app and servers.
If you are still arguing why Apple should even collect the tiny amount of the data they do, this is nothing but nitpicking. Like I said, every app now is connected app and app collecting zero data means using it like using a browser in Private mode. Do not remember history, do not store cookies. This is simply not practical. Only those who are 'paranoid' about privacy go to extreme lengths like using GrapheneOS whatever, using browser always in private mode and even having own private chat servers. Moreover, from last iOS update, Apple allows users to block Apple from seeing their iCloud data. This feature is called 'Advanced data protection'. The only downside is that if user does not setup recovery key or alternate option to recover icloud data in case they forget password, Apple cannot help to restore account access.

Advanced Data Protection for iCloud is an optional setting that offers Apple’s highest level of cloud data security. When a user turns on Advanced Data Protection, their trusted devices retain sole access to the encryption keys for the majority of their iCloud data, thereby protecting it with end-to-end encryption. For users who turn on Advanced Data Protection, the total number of data categories protected using end-to-end encryption rises from 14 to 23 and includes iCloud Backup, Photos, Notes and more.

Come back once you understand these differences otherwise we will go in a circle where you just dump random shit from internet and I correct you.

Last edited:
I understand the frustration. Let me try to ease it.

You just explained how the bad implementation works. There is no reason why it can't be the best of both worlds. You can have the Android way of clean folder based organisation and a continuous camera roll with photos from all sources in it. Which is how it is on Samsungs and OnePluses. It doesn't have to be a zero-sum game.

It doesn't do that automatically, for example on whatsapp, when someone sends you a photo or video, it doesn't end up in the photos app (unless you have the "save to photos" automatically setting toggled on in whatsapp). The photos app cannot get messy on it's own.

So you do agree that turning it on makes a mess. And good job latching on to the one thing I said I could live with, lol.
I forgot to mention this, but I never had 'Save to photos' turned on, I turned it off the day I got the iPhone because it creates a mess in the gallery. All the lower quality garbage with no metadata is mixed with photos I actually care about, instead of- I don't know, being in a separate folder?

The photos/video stay in whatsapp. Only when you specifically save the photo/video then it goes into the photos app special root album called "recents", and it also automatically creates a album named "whatsapp" which only has the whatsapp photos. Whether you create an album yourself or it automatically gets created by some app, the photos in the albums are only links to the original photos in the `recents` folder. (Btw you can also save your selected whatsapp photos/video directly into the files app, bypassing the photos app.)

You can treat the albums (in photos app) as folders to organize your photos/video structure. When you a delete a photo from these albums, it will always ask you, whether you want to remove it from this album only or you want to also delete it from the source "recents" too.

The "recents" album is the root album that always contains all the photos/videos. Treat this as a staging area for all your photos videos (that need your attention if you want to organize them later). A benefit of this is it also acts as a timeline, each photo that entered your phone through any means, will be sorted by date/time. So you can quickly find that specific photo when you know it was before that particular photo was taken.

In photos app you can also create folders (don't confuse them with albums), but those folders are for only creating nested albums or folders. Remember you can't move/copy one entire album into a folder, or a folder into a folder, you can only copy photos/videos from one album to another. This is because photos app is not a file manager, the actual file manager is the files app.

There is another not often thought of advantage to 'real folders'. On iOS WhatsApp, say, there is a photo you have received that has a caption. You want to delete the photo but keep the caption. No luck! No can do. On iOS WhatsApp you can only delete the photo from within the chat or the 'Manage storage' section in WhatsApp settings. On Android you can just pop into the file manager or the gallery and delete the photo. The media is gone but the 'message body' and the accompanying caption still persists.

I know this says more about WhatsApp's senselessness, but my point is- You have a workaround. A very, very simple workaround. Just pop into gallery, nuke the media. Can't do that on iOS.

Now, even if there is no caption, I do not like how deleting the media on iOS also disappears the "message body" it came in. What if I want to re-download the image? Can't do that, I will have to ask the sender to re-send it. On Android deleting the photo from the gallery, leaves 'message body' which can be used to re-download the image or file. It's not a pretty but at least on Android the workaround is barely a hassle.

The photos app has other integrations like shared albums which I won't go into, it just can't be a simple file manager, whether this is a good thing or bad, it's up to you. For most users it works great.

The gallery doesn't have to be a 'file manager'. And do use iCloud Shared Library, it is pretty cool. Maybe the iOS feature for me. I don't think there is anything like it on Android.

Let's explore.
  1. The way notifications are handled are terrible. Unlike Android, there is only a single channel for apps to send notifications through. So a lot of apps misuse it to send advertising notifications. So the user only has the option to disable notifications for that app entirely, and sometimes that is not an option.
  2. On my last phone, a OnePlus, I could block advertising spam from ‘AX-ADSPAM’ and like natively from the 'Messages' app. But on iOS it is not possible.
  3. You cannot swipe notifications that pop up on your screen as a banner. You can only swipe them away from the notification shade.
  4. Can only the edit the latest digit in the dialler. There is no cursor to select and change, for example-the first digit. Have to delete the whole thing.
  5. No T9 Dialling (I know, I know, kids don't even know what it is, I just miss it)
  6. Web browsers don’t support real extensions. UBlock Origin, for example.
  7. Lack of granular volume control. E.g.- If playing media and on a phone call at the same time, adjusting volume changes both.
  8. If you use non-Apple Bluetooth earphones, your calls are not automatically routed to the earphones. They are routed to the earpiece and you have switch it manually. This is a scummy tactic to get you to buy AirPods. It worked on me. I bought the Beats Flex.
  9. During iOS 14 there was this bug in YouTube that when you swipe down on the video to 'minimise it' there would a lag of a second or two.
  10. On 26th September 2023 at 10:59 IST hundreds of my files disappeared from iCloud. Never got them back. And Apple support could never figure out why it happened in the first place. I suspect that the iCloud on Windows had some syncing error. I stopped using iCloud on Windows after this incident.
  11. The most egregious- In March 2023 I updated the phone from iOS 15.7.1 to 16.3.1. Minutes later my phone kernel panicked and crashed. I figured the update might have caused some issues. So I reset the device. No respite. Continued to kernel panick once a day at a random time. So I DFU restored it. Still no respite. Lived with this for three months, then I took it to Apple Saket (which is one of only two Apple owned Sales and Support stores in India). Those geniuses ran a 'diagnostic' told me that there is 'something wrong' with the motherboard and the phone was a write-off. Full unit replacement. Would have cost more than what the phone was worth. So I declined. A week later iOS 17.0 comes and my phone has been perfectly fine. Perfectly fine in the sense it doesn't kernel panic any more.
Is this the famous Apple just works? Am I missing something? All these restrictions and frankly toxic control for what?

If you use non-Apple Bluetooth earphones, your calls are not automatically routed to the earphones. They are routed to the earpiece and you have switch it manually. This is a scummy tactic to get you to buy AirPods. It worked on me. I bought the Beats Flex.
  1. No T9 Dialling (I know, I know, kids don't even know what it is, I just miss it)
Untrue. I use Pixel Buds A series with my iPhone. You have to manually change the audio routing to bluetooth ONLY ONCE. I did it when I bought my phone. Never again.

T9 dialing is a godsend. It’ll be added in the upcoming iOS 18 stable build. Should be in 10 days from now.

I have been using iPhone 13 since 2.5 years now and not faced any issue which you had. But I agree that iOS isn’t for you. Its not for a lot of people. But the argument on what is better is endless. It works for me. I only miss the night sight camera from Pixel. If they ever come up with a Pixel which is less than 50k and has great battery life without overheating , i’ll switch.

There is no reason why it can't be the best of both worlds. You can have the Android way of clean folder based organisation and a continuous camera roll with photos from all sources in it. Which is how it is on Samsungs and OnePluses. It doesn't have to be a zero-sum game.
If your working style depends upon it you should use an android, because iOS has it's own way of dealing with files since the beginning and it has worked for many, it makes it harder to shoot yourself in the foot in case something goes wrong. Everything is sandboxed as you mentioned which works in it's favor most of the time, file manager is in it's own space, the photos (gallary) is in it's own space, the whatsapp data is in it's own space etc. But it allows for integration between all if needed.

The way notifications are handled are terrible. Unlike Android, there is only a single channel for apps to send notifications through. So a lot of apps misuse it to send advertising notifications. So the user only has the option to disable notifications for that app entirely, and sometimes that is not an option.
What do you mean single channel? Isn't it good that there is only one channel, if the app is bugging you just have to hit one turn-off toggle button and it's sorted.

If you are not satisfied with that, then you go to settings -> notifications -> your app -> your app notification settings, this will open the app for you and take you to it's notifications settings, where you
can turn off push notification for specific things like promotions and stuff and you can keep your important notification on like orders etc.

For some apps your have to go inside the app manually and look for push notification filters and if you can't find it then it's the intention of app developer to push you ads and he has not given you control of stopping these and here the iOS level toggle comes into play, you just turn it off and move on.

All the apps on which I have notifications turned on they most of the time have this push notification filters.

These multiple channels you are talking about, developers can take advantage of that too to push you ads. At least iOS keeps the system relatively easy with straight one toggle button.

On my last phone, a OnePlus, I could block advertising spam from ‘AX-ADSPAM’ and like natively from the 'Messages' app. But on iOS it is not possible.
I am not sure what `AX-ADSPAM` really means, if it's the name of the sender then what if the `AX-ADSPAM` handler changes? You will have to add it again. Well if that's your way of dealing with it, iOS does provide options to hide alerts for that specific handler or you can block it so you won't even see the message. To do this open the message -> tap on the senders name -> hit `hide alerts`. OR if you want to block it tap on the "info" button and hit `block this caller`

The messages app provides you with it's own filters which are `unknown senders` `transactions` `promotions`. To access these you go to settings->notifications-messages-> customise notifications.

1725879834981.png

I recommend you turn off promotions, this will take care of some of the spam for you. Don't turn off `transactions` and `unknown senders` cause it will turn off your bank transaction messages and some other important messages. Some of spam will pass through that you will have to manually block if you want. I just don't bother with it, cause the handler might change in the future.

You cannot swipe notifications that pop up on your screen as a banner. You can only swipe them away from the notification shade.
Why this is an issue? What if you accidently swiped it away and wanted to see again? The notification centre keeps all your notifications intact, which you can clear all at once by double tap and if you attend to that notification right when it popped up as a banner, it will not log in notification centre, because it knows you clicked on it.

Can only the edit the latest digit in the dialler. There is no cursor to select and change, for example-the first digit. Have to delete the whole thing.
How often are you making these mistakes? I can see it can be a problem if you are manually calling lot of number by typing, but we hardly type numbers these days very often.
If your main purpose of doing this to add a contact, you can use the other way, go to contacts -> tap the + button, now you can type the number and it will give you cursor.

No T9 Dialling (I know, I know, kids don't even know what it is, I just miss it)
You are in luck, iOS 18 give you T9 dialing.

Web browsers don’t support real extensions. UBlock Origin, for example.
Safari supports extension, I don't know if it specifically supports UBlock but there are other ad block extensions you can use.

1725881630948.png

Lack of granular volume control. E.g.- If playing media and on a phone call at the same time, adjusting volume changes both.
I have to check on this, googling suggests "if you start playing media while on a call, the audio stream will mix with the call audio. To avoid this, you can start playing audio before or after the call."

If you use non-Apple Bluetooth earphones, your calls are not automatically routed to the earphones. They are routed to the earpiece and you have switch it manually. This is a scummy tactic to get you to buy AirPods. It worked on me. I bought the Beats Flex.
Go to settings -> accessibility -> touch -> call audio routing -> bluetooh headset
Now if you bluetooh headset is active while the call comes, it should directly go to your headset.

During iOS 14 there was this bug in YouTube that when you swipe down on the video to 'minimise it' there would a lag of a second or two.
A Bug this huge would get lot of attention, I’m sure it wouldn’t have lasted much longer.

On 26th September 2023 at 10:59 IST hundreds of my files disappeared from iCloud. Never got them back. And Apple support could never figure out why it happened in the first place. I suspect that the iCloud on Windows had some syncing error. I stopped using iCloud on Windows after this incident.
Yes iCloud on windows is known have sync issues.

The most egregious- In March 2023 I updated the phone from iOS 15.7.1 to 16.3.1. Minutes later my phone kernel panicked and crashed. I figured the update might have caused some issues. So I reset the device. No respite. Continued to kernel panick once a day at a random time. So I DFU restored it. Still no respite. Lived with this for three months, then I took it to Apple Saket (which is one of only two Apple owned Sales and Support stores in India). Those geniuses ran a 'diagnostic' told me that there is 'something wrong' with the motherboard and the phone was a write-off. Full unit replacement. Would have cost more than what the phone was worth. So I declined. A week later iOS 17.0 comes and my phone has been perfectly fine. Perfectly fine in the sense it doesn't kernel panic any more.
Glad it worked out. So it was software issue, my advice for this is to do the real hard reset which happens when you disconnect the battery and hit power button 3-4 times. completely draining the phone of any remaining power.

Last edited:
Untrue. I use Pixel Buds A series with my iPhone. You have to manually change the audio routing to bluetooth ONLY ONCE. I did it when I bought my phone. Never again.

T9 dialing is a godsend. It’ll be added in the upcoming iOS 18 stable build. Should be in 10 days from now.

I have been using iPhone 13 since 2.5 years now and not faced any issue which you had. But I agree that iOS isn’t for you. Its not for a lot of people. But the argument on what is better is endless. It works for me. I only miss the night sight camera from Pixel. If they ever come up with a Pixel which is less than 50k and has great battery life without overheating , i’ll switch.
Was this always the behaviour? I swear it wasn't during iOS 13...

1. The way notifications are handled are terrible. Unlike Android, there is only a single channel for apps to send notifications through. So a lot of apps misuse it to send advertising notifications. So the user only has the option to disable notifications for that app entirely, and sometimes that is not an option.
  2. On my last phone, a OnePlus, I could block advertising spam from ‘AX-ADSPAM’ and like natively from the 'Messages' app. But on iOS it is not possible.
  3. You cannot swipe notifications that pop up on your screen as a banner. You can only swipe them away from the notification shade.
  4. Can only the edit the latest digit in the dialler. There is no cursor to select and change, for example-the first digit. Have to delete the whole thing.
  5. No T9 Dialling (I know, I know, kids don't even know what it is, I just miss it)
  6. Web browsers don’t support real extensions. UBlock Origin, for example.
  7. Lack of granular volume control. E.g.- If playing media and on a phone call at the same time, adjusting volume changes both.
  8. If you use non-Apple Bluetooth earphones, your calls are not automatically routed to the earphones. They are routed to the earpiece and you have switch it manually. This is a scummy tactic to get you to buy AirPods. It worked on me. I bought the Beats Flex.
  9. During iOS 14 there was this bug in YouTube that when you swipe down on the video to 'minimise it' there would a lag of a second or two.
  10. On 26th September 2023 at 10:59 IST hundreds of my files disappeared from iCloud. Never got them back. And Apple support could never figure out why it happened in the first place. I suspect that the iCloud on Windows had some syncing error. I stopped using iCloud on Windows after this incident.
  11. The most egregious- In March 2023 I updated the phone from iOS 15.7.1 to 16.3.1. Minutes later my phone kernel panicked and crashed. I figured the update might have caused some issues. So I reset the device. No respite. Continued to kernel panick once a day at a random time. So I DFU restored it. Still no respite. Lived with this for three months, then I took it to Apple Saket (which is one of only two Apple owned Sales and Support stores in India). Those geniuses ran a 'diagnostic' told me that there is 'something wrong' with the motherboard and the phone was a write-off. Full unit replacement. Would have cost more than what the phone was worth. So I declined. A week later iOS 17.0 comes and my phone has been perfectly fine. Perfectly fine in the sense it doesn't kernel panic any more.
Is this the famous Apple just works? Am I missing something? All these restrictions and frankly toxic control for what?
Notifications, spam identification are two annoyances for me with iOS. But I have gotten used to this. As I have Apple Watch that gets all notifications, I rarely open the phone to see notifications. I also have focus mode on which only allows notifications from apps that I think are critical. End of day, I just clear all notifications in one shot. Spam identification though is piss poor. Trucaller does not work the way it works on Android and I have to pay subscription for features that are free on Android. As my primary number is very private, i do not have an issue with this. But those who get lot of spam calls find it painful. I have always used OneDrive for files and I rarely use 'Files' as I depend a lot of Office apps. No problem with Photos either as I have customized layout. As all my screenshots and other stuff always reside on OneDrive, my photos app is clean. Also, if you take a screenshot in iPhone to share it to someone, make a habit of 'copy and delete' isntead of 'save to photos'.

These are very few things that are well known to be limitations for iOS. I keep telling this to people who jump to iOS and then stuggle to live with it as their 'most needed features' are limited in iOS. Just yesterday I told the same to one guy who want to use iPhone because it 'looks kinda cool'.

1725940391541.png

Then why did I but an iPhone? I am fully into the Apple ecosystem and there was nothing that comes close to how all operate together like these products. These things work really long. I still have my nearly decade old Mac Mini and still have 2018 MBP from office. Never once went to service center. Mom is using iPhone 13 for 2 years, zero issues. There are other features like Focus modes, device security, family sharing and comms related features, privacy features like dont track, hide my mail etc that 'just work'. We (me and my family) all are so busy that there is no time to tweak every part of OS, load custom OS and all to get rid of prying eyes. We need something that works really well and lasts long.
Only now Samsung is slowly catching up to provide something closer to apple ecosystem.

Last edited:
Was this always the behaviour? I swear it wasn't during iOS 13...
I have been using since iOS 15 so no idea about iOS 13. Its under Accessibility > Touch > Call audio routing.

iOS is also getting more and more customisable which was a complaint for many. Lockscreen customisation is great. You can also set DPI per app. Minor things which matter a lot on the long run.

I have been using since iOS 15 so no idea about iOS 13. Its under Accessibility > Touch > Call audio routing.

iOS is also getting more and more customisable which was a complaint for many. Lockscreen customisation is great. You can also set DPI per app. Minor things which matter a lot on the long run.
How do you set DPI per app? One of my complaints with the bigger screen on the Pro Max is that Apple doesn't let me scale UI elements smaller.

On my current S23U, I've DPI set to 472 and it looks really nice.

Installed iOS 18. First thing I notice- The padding between UI elements is doubled. Hmm. Open Language and Region, turns out they added हिन्दी to it.
Do they think we all speak it?
&
The control centre is somehow worse.
&
God, the photos app, it’s so goofy now.

Also, if the S24 came with Snapdragon I would have pounced on it 5 months back.

As usual Samsung is doing everything in their power to gimp their own product. Common Smasnug L.

Attachments

• IMG_2644.png
    IMG_2644.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 16
Installed iOS 18. First thing I notice- The padding between UI elements is doubled. Hmm. Open Language and Region, turns out they added हिन्दी to it.
Do they think we all speak it?
&
The control centre is somehow worse.
&
God, the photos app, it’s so goofy now.

Also, if the S24 came with Snapdragon I would have pounced on it 5 months back.

As usual Samsung is doing everything in their power to gimp their own product. Common Smasnug L.
I was leaning towards S24 as well. They were offering insane exchange value for iPhones. The existence of Exynos made me stay away from Samsung.

Back