Budget Above 40k Should I switch from iPhone 13 to S23 or S24 ?

mayank4823

Disciple
Why I’m thinking of the switch
1. Samsung website is offering me 39k for my 2 year old iPhone 13 if I buy the S24. Claiming GST and applying some coupon will cost me 35k approx after the trade in.
2. Fedup of iOS and average night camera. I used to have a Pixel and that has spoiled me. I trek and travel quite often and star gazing is below average on iPhone 13.
3. I paid around 45-50k for iPhone 13 2 years back because I claimed GST and used bank offers and what not. So getting 39k for it too tempting.

What i’m worried about
1. Battery. iPhone is great when it comes to battery optimisation.
2. Exynos on S24. I’ve heard S23 is a better choice.
3. I really need that lock folder option which is there in iOS. Have some very sensitive pics related to business and some private pics as well. *wink wink*.

Considering everything above, is the switch from iPhone 13 to S23 an upgrade ?

I'm not sure about switching but I will tell you, there's a secure folder option on Samsung devices usually. I think this is what you're looking for?

You can check this link out to know more:

Personally, I don't mind moving from iPhone 13 to Samsung but I would switch if I'm not happy with iPhone, whether that's the battery life or anything else. But then again, all I want from a phone is for it to be smooth and last a while with good battery so you have to ask yourself if you'll miss some features if you move from an iPhone to a Samsung. I personally didn't when I moved from an iPhone to a Samsung. Although, I will say, I liked Apple Watch and using a Mac with an iPhone. Pretty convenient and Apple Watch is the best on the market.

It's always refreshing to switch phones after some time, and now, you're going back to Android from iOS, you will definitely notice the change. Now coming to the private folders, they are common in any device (Android or iOS) these days. So, you will not have any issue with that. Don't know much about S24 but a friend of mine purchased S23 in Nov 2023 from a local Bajaj store at discounted price and he is thoroughly enjoying his experience with it. I found the S23 handy and of course it's a flagship phone so you won't face any issues with performance and camera, in the end it depends on the user and their preferences.

Fedup of iOS
Fedup of what in iOS?

average night camera. I used to have a Pixel and that has spoiled me.
Buy another phone who's camera you prefer, and keep both.

If you are serious about camera, why not buy an actual camera with bigger lens, people who travel and trek more often usually buy a camera at some point.

With phone camera these days the software plays a big role, because with small size sensor (despite getting bigger every few years) they can't capture more light, so to cover up for that they rely on heavy software optimizations, especially in low light situations.

Image optimizations designs are always a trade off.

1. Samsung website is offering me 39k for my 2 year old iPhone 13 if I buy the S24. Claiming GST and applying some coupon will cost me 35k approx after the trade in.
2. Fedup of iOS and average night camera. I used to have a Pixel and that has spoiled me. I trek and travel quite often and star gazing is below average on iPhone 13.
3. I paid around 45-50k for iPhone 13 2 years back because I claimed GST and used bank offers and what not. So getting 39k for it too tempting.

What i’m worried about
3. I really need that lock folder option which is there in iOS. Have some very sensitive pics related to business and some private pics as well. *wink wink*.

If you are okay with a big screen buy a s23 ultra instead of s23 or s24 and call it a day for next 3-4 years. Majestic phone. End of. If you want the latest and greatest + 7 years of promised updates go to s24u

Not sure about the base models as I've never used the smaller screen ones.

Pixel camera is the best camera on any phone backed by mkbhd blind tests too. However I dont like to buy Google phones as their support and launches for Indian market are erratic. I get the feeling they treat India as a second priority whereas Samsung considers India as top priority.

Ps: good move. Jab jaage tabhi savera

Last edited:
Fedup of what in iOS?
absence of t9 dialer, toggling wifi bluetooth requires going into the settings, a lot of other things which require 2-3 extra steps for a simple task such as hotspot settings.

I’m not considering a seperate camera for trekking because I like to keep my gadgets at a minimum. I travel as light as possible and modern day phones are enough for those pics. It’s only about the night photography i’m worried about.
Why don’t you try to sell the 14 for 30-35k and buy a Pixel instead? S23 or S24 will be more like sidegrade.
Pixels are priced atrociously in India. Also the heating issues and poor battery optimisation. I’ll try to get a Pixel from a friend in Canada when the Black Friday sale comes.

Last edited:
Well as you know yourself, you are spoiled. Nothing comes close to Pixels' camera. So you will be disappointed with S23/24 or whatever ultra/XL flagship currently out and about. iPhone camera is very good, in night times especially, but astro photography isn't their thing. So I'm sorry to if you need that, you have to stay with Pixels.

The only reason to stay with the Pixels is the camera. Been sacrificing so much of other aspects of a mobile phone to have that camera. It's annoying. Wish other phone manufacturers at least came close to Pixels.

PS: Gcam I heard works well. Not sure whether on Samsungs.

PS2: iphones still don't have T9 dialling? Lmfao. Wow.

Switch to android and be at peace! If not in built ones, you get ample of free android apps to suit your requirements.
And there's always an option to switch back to an iPhone later as Samsung's carry a good resale value esp. S series.

What i’m worried about

If you are not ecosystem bound then happily switch to Samsung, either 23 or 24 is on you and should be based on your budget and analysis. Requirement wise Samsung has all the ticks needed.

absence of t9 dialer, toggling wifi bluetooth requires going into the settings, a lot of other things which require 2-3 extra steps for a simple task such as hotspot settings.

I’m not considering a seperate camera for trekking because I like to keep my gadgets at a minimum. I travel as light as possible and modern day phones are enough for those pics. It’s only about the night photography i’m worried about.

Pixels are priced atrociously in India. Also the heating issues and poor battery optimisation. I’ll try to get a Pixel from a friend in Canada when the Black Friday sale comes.
I really doubt if S24 is really better than iPhone for Astrophotography. It is better to wait and go the Pixel way as that is something that you have used and were happy about. Carrying a battery pack would help anyways :D

Back