Storage Solutions Smart info shows brand new 2.5 hdd as old age and pre fail.

6pack

ex-Mod
I bought a brand new 128Mb cache 2.5" 1TB Seagate hdd from Amazon few days back. As usual Amazon's packaging was crap. The drive was shipped in a plastic bag only as is. No bubble wrap or foam or even paper to absorb the shocks. I was thinking a return was in order. So I attached the drive to an external usb 2 drive bay and it worked for some reason. Drive was not formatted (very weird) and I formatted it as ext4. Did a smart test on it to determine health status. And here it shows all indicators are of old age and pre fail.

new-drive-prefail.png

Checked warranty of drive on Seagate site and it shows warranty till 2020.

So is the drive made from recycled parts like disk platters etc?

Edit: It seems its the type of check on hdd according to this superuer post.
https://superuser.com/questions/354212/is-my-hard-drive-failing

I should have searched google first. :(

Last edited:
"Power cycle count" shows as 1 so maybe it is really a new drive, but the read error and seek error seem to be of concern.

yeah. disk died because of amazon's shitty packaging though. it won't even show up anywhere now. making lots of noises and parks head suddenly.

If anyone's wondering, here is how i got the hdd. I think this is the last time i buy hdd from amazon. waste of time spending money and doing returns or rma when they don't think of safety of electronic items.

bad-hdd-package-amazon.jpg

Oh great!! **** amazon india. -5 star in review & 1 star rating to seller and amazon now.

great.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1516369711][/DOUBLEPOST]I deleted my entire wish list and signed out of Amazon app and uninstalled it. Will never buy from them again. Will buy from physical stores now onwards.

Last edited:
no. no option to send it back. The cowards deleted my 1 star review and are telling me to change it.

Amazon India website has 1 star ratings about bad packaging. Why is amazon asking me to not put packaging info in review? there's some full-ass-whole review moderator on amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Lapto...r&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

My second review also got deleted. shitty amazon service. i will put this on reddit now.

Last edited:
Back