Smartphone (budget 20-25k)

quixand

Skilled
Questions:-
1. Q: Budget?
A: 20K-25k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Super AMOLED

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Open for recommendations.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Require atleast 5MP camera, Front facing camera and Flash is must. HD Video recording. Should support Flash and should be able to play other video formats.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Having a hard time with this.

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A:
- My travel time is 1-1.5 hrs everyday and I need to surf/read/listen to music/watch a video in this time. Text reflow is preferable.
- Music Player needs to be awesome. I pride myself in keeping my music collection up to date and in order so a winamp like app would be great which let me sort/stash mp3s in whichever way I want.
- Pretty, Fluid UI. I dig the WP7's interface/ lists.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim/require dual sim/etc.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: HD7, LG O2X.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get an Android or WP7. If somebody could compare 2 phones side by side camera-camera, music player and other features it would be helpful.

Any other phone? Please let me know. Regarding SGS2 - I'm not sure if I'll be able to do justice to its specs. What does one do with the SGS2?

LG O2X has one of the better batteries, the users are saying so & also LG since Optimus One has given the kind of battery which is better than most other android devices.

LG O2x has good battery backup... One of my friends bought it and he is getting 2 days max out of it..

Galaxy S can do beyond 2 Days if Configured Rightly though...

I suggest go for O2x as it is more Future Proof, though Gala S has better Battery life(Slightly)

Thanks guys.. Been using the phone for 3 days now.. Pretty good with even the stock rom..
+ves

> Phone is very solid.. Feels much better and sturdier in hand than the Samsung Galaxy S (not sure about SGS2), but can't beat my HTC Legend for sturdiness

> Screen is brilliant with very good viewing angles, display almost on par with SGS and viewing angles much better than it

> Pretty good camera.. No whitish tinge or white balance issue for me so far.. Only have taken around 10 photos though.. HD video recording quality is also very decent though they could've used mp4 as the file container rather than 3gp

> No problem with either the ear piece volume or the speakerphone. Music quality is much better than HTCs.

Now not so good things

> Phone did a restart while was trying to change a contacts pic.. UI is laggy and nowhere near as good as Sense UI

> Phone lags again a lot while downloading and installing stuff from Android market.. This thing really needs a software upgrade.

> Battery life has been average so far.. 8 hrs max, probably also due to the fact that I've been playing around with it

> Difficult to link different contacts info (facebook/phone etc) like in Sense UI.. Maybe I'm missing something, but with Sense it was very easy.

Overall happy with the phone.. Will wait to see whether LG would release the Gingerbread upgrade soon (don't mind if its late also, if they fix all the bugs).

@junk_qwe - thanks a lot for the review. good to see a review straight from the user's point of view.
Just when I thought O2X was worth the 25K, your review is letting it down.
Low Severity Bugs - doesn't matter at all.
Laggy ? - Tried changing to different Launcher? Checked the running services and see what's eating the ram and using the CPU unnecessarily?
Low Battery? - Tried the usual "save ur battery on android" stuff? "Changing to 2G only, Wi-Fi Notification turn off, GPS, Auto Sync and the above mentioned too many services running problem (widgets etc.,)

And for the PLUSes -
Screen is almost on par with SGS? No way! They are completely different! LCD is superb for white and has high brightness. S-AMOLED superb for blacks and has great contrast. So it comes down to user preference. If the user does a lot more browsing, ebook reading and other white background stuff -> LCD. If the user is a movie/youtube freak, images/camera -> S-AMOLED.
Camera - Still images, are you sure that it doesn't have any blue tint (compared it with others)?
Video Camera - can you check whether 720p recording has 30fps and post the 720p comparison with that of SGS?

BTW, any plans on installing CM7? :)

hatter said:
^^ Please check the GPS

Had got a lock on Satellite easily on the first day inside my house itself. Tried today inside office and did not get the lock on. Will do couple more checks and update.

emmarbee said:
@junk_qwe - thanks a lot for the review. good to see a review straight from the user's point of view.

Just when I thought O2X was worth the 25K, your review is letting it down.

Low Severity Bugs - doesn't matter at all.

Laggy ? - Tried changing to different Launcher? Checked the running services and see what's eating the ram and using the CPU unnecessarily?

Low Battery? - Tried the usual "save ur battery on android" stuff? "Changing to 2G only, Wi-Fi Notification turn off, GPS, Auto Sync and the above mentioned too many services running problem (widgets etc.,)

And for the PLUSes -

Screen is almost on par with SGS? No way! They are completely different! LCD is superb for white and has high brightness. S-AMOLED superb for blacks and has great contrast. So it comes down to user preference. If the user does a lot more browsing, ebook reading and other white background stuff -> LCD. If the user is a movie/youtube freak, images/camera -> S-AMOLED.

Camera - Still images, are you sure that it doesn't have any blue tint (compared it with others)?

Video Camera - can you check whether 720p recording has 30fps and post the 720p comparison with that of SGS?

BTW, any plans on installing CM7? :)
The LG launcher is very laggy.. With Launcher pro, life is much better. I get about 8 hours with medium to intense use (mainly chat,browse, apps download). Most of the battery saving options are on.

One of my colleagues has a SGS and we find that the screen is almost on par.. LG wins mainly with the viewing angles and also there seems to be a greenish tinge in SGS SAMOLED which is not seen in LG. Again, like you said, its purely on user preference and as for me, I'd take the IPS panel on O2x anyday above the SAMOLED. Now SAMOLED+ would be a different story.

I'm not sure about the blue tinge on the stills. Had seen numerous posts about white balance issue, which for me seems to be not a problem. Camera stills are pretty good. Maybe will post a pic or two soon and you can see for yourself.

Regarding 720p@30 fps, will have to check and maybe get my colleague to take a sample as well. Will try to do it sometime this week.

Planning to install CM7 if LG does not release the upgrade by July.. Not sure whether the nightlies are fully stable yet.

By the way, these are the initial 3-4 days impression. So far its been value for money. Had been contemplating getting different phones (HTC Incredible S, SE Xperia Arc, Desire HD), but for 25k this thing is a sure vfm phone.

junk_qwe said:
Planning to install CM7 if LG does not release the upgrade by July.. Not sure whether the nightlies are fully stable yet.
I would say, first backup your stock rom and then flash a CM7 rom. The best way to find the best rom for your device is the trial and error method.

If you are not satisfied with any of the custom roms then you can always revert back to the stock rom that you had backed up.

Couple of updates..

Checked the GPS lock today twice and got the satellite lock fast.. So no problems there

Had charged the phone today morning at 9:15, still 45% remaining (7.5 hrs till now).. So definite improvement.. And couple of my mates had played dungeon defenders on it for sometime as well..

"couple of mates played dungeon defenders for sometime" - can you check that again too?
I mean, how much of % is getting reduced on playing 10-15min of that or any tegra 2 game?
Also, while doing 720p test, carry ur friend's SGS too. So that the test would be apt.
waiting for your review

Back