Smartphone - Budget @ 25k

comp@ddict

Skilled
My friend wants to buy a touchscreen smartphone, his budget is 25k.

Now he has no idea about smartphones. He was asking if HTC Firefox is good. I asked him he was asking about HTC or Firefox(I think he meant HTC Wildfire).

I'm inclined on giving him the Nokia N8 for 23.5k, but at 25k, I think there are plenty good androids with good cameras too.

So suggestions anyone?

Incredible S is costlier for the same hardware.

Desire HD is still on Android 2.2(correct me if wrong)

Dont see the point. As I said already, the Xperia Neo beats the other chips in benchmarks by quite a good score.

The Neo has just 380 MB of RAM. That may not be too less but even the O1 has 512 MB RAM. Could well make a difference when you have many apps running at a time or in future apps. Dont know why SE could not have 512 MB RAM on the Neo,pro when the arc has 512 MB. Hardware-wise, PowerVR SGX 540 is better than the Adreno 205 but yes, drivers make a difference. But looking at the estimated European(and even Indian) price(338 euro and 25k) the phone is going to launch, it offers excellent value for money, considering the fact that its price will drop by a few thousand over a few months.

comp@ddict said:
Why do you hate SE phones? Any " Valid" reason?

I like the look, but those buttons at the bottom make it kinda ugly. Overall is good.
All the SE phones I have had lost their colour and chrome plating in a few months time. Plus panels are darn expensive.

I think the SE phones are not very durable atleast when the exterior is concerned. That apart, I concur with you when you say that the buttons on the Neo look ugly.

In fact, most phones from SE look ugly to me. Either 'ugly' or 'girlie'... :p

Hmm, valid points. But you know HTC phones look ugly to me, their colour, yuck. The new HTC Pyramid Renders is the first HTC phone I can bear to look at more than a few seconds.

380MB RAM is valid point, for a 25k device 512MB was expected. Sony charges wayyy too much premium man! Although I dont think a sane person would run 10 applications on the phone. Must be really stupid.

This brings things back to HTC Incredible S now, this decision is getting tougher AARGH!

PowerVR SGX540 or Adreno 205, both are enought o play any Android Game anyways.

But most HTC phones look manly... The HD2 & Incredible S even looks Supermanly!! :p

And I always buy phones with black colour only. No other colours for me. So, if you don't like the other colours, get a Black one.

rhlravi said:
The Neo has just 380 MB of RAM. That may not be too less but even the O1 has 512 MB RAM. Could well make a difference when you have many apps running at a time or in future apps. Dont know why SE could not have 512 MB RAM on the Neo,pro when the arc has 512 MB. Hardware-wise, PowerVR SGX 540 is better than the Adreno 205 but yes, drivers make a difference. But looking at the estimated European(and even Indian) price(338 euro and 25k) the phone is going to launch, it offers excellent value for money, considering the fact that its price will drop by a few thousand over a few months.
Neo also has 512MB RAM (Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo MT15a (SE Halon) Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications), it's just not mentioned in the gsmarena specs. the 380MB is user accessible memory for storing apps which is irrelevant when you have the microsdcard.

_

Different info about RAM on different sites. Look here:

Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo preview: First look - GSMArena.com

"The actual performance is almost as good on the Arc - almost because we did notice occasional brief lags. Maybe it’s the smaller amount of RAM but we should wait and see what a market-ready Neo is really capable of."

and here:

Difference Between Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo and Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc | Difference Between | Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo vs Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc

yes there is conflicting info about Neo's RAM. the credible source gsmarena itself says it's 380MB, but it has not mentioned it in the specs page bcos there is no confirmation from SE I guess.

in this review the unit only has 305MB RAM: (see at 25:32)
YouTube - Review Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo by MXPhone

but my view is that xperia pro's white paper in SE developer website mentions 512MB RAM. the whitepaper's of other models like arc, neo, play doesn't have the info on RAM.
the pro is identical with neo and arc w.r.t same screen res with reality display, 720p video recording, talktime, standby with same battery capacity while xperia play has 480p video recording, no reality display, more talktime and standby probably due to it's less ram and also to keep the size in check. so in all probability neo must also be having 512MB RAM. flipkart also mentions 512MB RAM.

anyway only SE can clear this confusion :p and if it is really 380MB RAM then SE blew it :lol:

there is still some hope:
Q: I’ve seen YouTube videos where your new phones seem to suffer in performance and some sample pictures that don’t seem to have the quality they should, are those final?

A: No – in preparing for the launch of our phones we have frequent releases of new internal test software and there are also different hardware revisions on the way up until launch. Lots of optimization is done late in the process and the release version will be optimized in many aspects.
Questions and Answers from MWC2011 | Product Launch Blog
_

Nokia N8.

If you want you can get him a Nokia C7 also.

Both these phones come with all the features an average user would need. For those who are crying about Symbian is pathetic, etc. Symbian is a decent mobile O/S for the average user who needs all functionality intacyt.

I got Nokia N8 for Rs. 21800/- from Central Market, Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi. Pretty satisfied with it. Symbian Market not upto the mark of Android, but happy with the currently available applications since camera is more important to me. My friends using Samsung galaxy S struggle to take photos at Night. But SE Neo could be the next big thing with Flash and HD Video Recording capability. Android Fans with a budget of 25k should wait for it.

Back