Smartphones, Cameras, Tablets etc are now available on rent.. Good idea?

Sure thing..
I have kept an option of renting your gadget, that could be useful for you.
PM me if you have any ideas and we can discuss about it.
Something fruitful might just come out it.

I was talking about reversing Credit Card transactions. Similar to when tickets are refunded or when Google/Appla/PayPal, etc charge money to verify cards.

This is more personal as I haven't paid cash for a phone for over 6 years. Usually EMI's. Cash is good to start with as it's probably the safest for you. Once you get a some traffic you should definitely consider the CC option.

Once again GOOD LUCK! Hoping to see some more tablets as well as the newer Lumia phones.

Awesome idea.
I need something like that - well many times.
Playing with the gadget in the store for 10/15 minutes before buying doesn't do justice the amount of investment required.
I'd be nice to "own" the stuff for few days before making up the mind.

Wish you best wishes for your endeavor. \m/

avi people especially outsiders say it as E&Y but the acronym actually is EY.
viditkalra is this available for people only in Delhi/NCR now?

Yes sir, available only in Delhi, but if people in other cities want to work with me on it and join hands, I'll be more than happy to extend it.

- - - Updated - - -

I was talking about reversing Credit Card transactions. Similar to when tickets are refunded or when Google/Appla/PayPal, etc charge money to verify cards.

This is more personal as I haven't paid cash for a phone for over 6 years. Usually EMI's. Cash is good to start with as it's probably the safest for you. Once you get a some traffic you should definitely consider the CC option.

Once again GOOD LUCK! Hoping to see some more tablets as well as the newer Lumia phones.

Thank you. I think it's a great idea and I have been trying to explore it. It's just that in the beginning it all just seems overwhelming. Nevertheless, it is an option that definitely has to be explored. If you have something specific in your mind or a procedure I can follow, feel free to write to me. I'd really appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea!! But I suppose only people from NCR can avail this facility.
Yes, only available in Delhi at the moment but if there is enough demand from other cities, I have no problem expanding it.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome idea.
I need something like that - well many times.
Playing with the gadget in the store for 10/15 minutes before buying doesn't do justice the amount of investment required.
I'd be nice to "own" the stuff for few days before making up the mind.

Wish you best wishes for your endeavor. \m/

Thanks a lot. I do hope your thinking resonates with others out there. :)

- - - Updated - - -

If Mr. Kalra is willing I am ready as a facilitator for this facility to be extended in Mumbai.

haha.. Sure thing sir ji..

I understand that nothing really has been done in this area and therefore it's a bare road with no laid out steps to follow. I am not really sure of the market response but from what I gather, one might want to rent a gadget for various reasons.
Its an interesting idea especially when one has a number of gadgets to consider.

If successful you have till the time when shops allow people to try & return their products.

I've read stories of people trying out TVs for months on end abroad as they can return and have a full refund at the end of it. The credit card companies take care of it.

I wonder whats stopping the same from happening in India. Laws & the laggy legal system i suppose.

There is no security on a credit card at all here. if you buy something and it turns out faulty then you have no recourse.

I am still considering the business model in order to make it worthwhile for both myself and the customer.
What do you guys think of a membership or subscription based plan?
If you are a verified member, you wouldn't have to pay huge security deposit. Just pay a one time membership fee and then monthly plans for you to rent gadgets of your choice. Similar to what toys on rent does.

I am still working on the pricing. If you guys have any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

A suggestion, I hope it is realistic.

In this scenario I am the buyer and planning to buy an iPhone 5 or Note 2 but want to try both before buying. Your company provides gadget on rent but I don't trust a new company like this where I am going to deposit 30k-50k cash for trying.

You are targeting a class where people will be having credit card for sure.
So I would prefer here is if you can block the payment from my CC. You are not charging just blocking the payment. When I am done you can release that amount or if there is any damage you can charge me from the blocked amount.
This way you can reduce the hassle of cash payment but you need a very strong website payment module.

I totally agree. That is THE business model rental companies use in the US, BUT AFAIK in India, you cannot hold funds for more than 48 hours.
I am still working on validating that information. If someone here could correct me on that, I'd really appreciate it.

Back