Smartwatches to STAY or DIE ?

Darin

Recruit
Guys what do you think are wearable tech here to Stay or another useless technology ?

Mod Edit: You should probably mention that you are affiliated with a company designing a smartwatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not useless, It is just is at beginning. Smart watches and Technology like Google Glass are still in beta mode. There is much more to come. I will suggest you to go for this technology after it is fully developed.

As Mehul said its just the beginning. Smartwatches will gain traction as they are backed by giants of tech industry. With time, they will be able to perform many more functions, integrate with other devices (Internet of things is gonna be big!) and perhaps look more classy.

I very much agree with what you guys have said. I think there will be limitations. Just like a smartphone cannot replace a PC or a Laptop, I think a smart watch will not replace a smart phone.
What features do you guys think will make you go for a smart watch?.
I want smart watch to be a big part of home automation ;)

The main problem for the smartwatches is the dwindling number of wristwatch wearers. nowadays less n lesser no of people are wearing it due to easy availability of mobiles.
so the smartwatch target audience is already existing watchwearers, out of which a fraction of it will go for it. it will be a niche product not a mass product

But Ashish do you think advanced features will make it a must have. Example replacing your wallet :)

What features will make you buy a smart watch ?? ;);)

well, when it comes to replacing wallet, we in India need a whole ecosystem of paying through NFC's which i don't see happening for atleast a decade.

i liked apple watch, but price is too high plus the dependency of having iphone just makes it a no-go for many android users. i would love to own the motorola smartwatch if it's priced reasonably within 5,000-7000 ( i know it is priced 250 $ abroad)

Yes battery life is very important. Crazy_Eddy are you smart watch user ??

Ashish do like the motoroala one because it is round ?

For personal use these devices (Smart wearables) will stay. They will evolve and provide more functionality. For eg - adding a rfid reader or tag, can be used to provide access to locations. Using voice commands, can take quick notes, set appointments, call phone etc.

Smart wearables have aroused so much interest in industry because at personal level they are not like an extra baggage ... unlike a tablet. They will provide more satisfying experience as mostly they do not need explicit input like punching keys thus improve productivity.

So given a chance when one can have multi-functionality in a device that does not 'feel' like an 'extra' .. surely will be broadly acceptable.

Sure why not, another tech gadget to contribute to OCD. People who feel restless/fidgety without checking their notifications for even 5 mins can feel relieved.

Smartwatch needs to evolve further and has the potential to be useful for people on move - pedestrians, cyclist, bikers. In Indian context, I don't see it flourish.

SW need to add more value - just can't be an extension of Phone. It should be capable of doing things that a Phone can't do.

Back