Smokers are stupid?

foruamit2004 said:
One more thing - I have read somewhere that a normal human uses ~10% of his actual brain, So even if total power of my brain is decreases by 5%, what I have to do is to use 13-14% of total brain power. :p , guess what if I were to use more then 20% :tongue:
Do you smoke ?

I think this thread can be aptly renamed to:

18-year-old men in the Israeli military who smoke have lower IQs

Lord Nemesis said:
With Smoking it not only effects the health of the smoker, but the innocent bystanders as well, so its other peoples business as well if you smoke. The effect of smoking may manifest on you after 20 years, but the effect of that smoke on a asthma prone bystander may be more immediate and serious. I think people definitely have a right to be judgmental about smoking.
Other get affected if they work constantly in a smoke filled environment. That means many more smokers puffing out smoke in an environment where ppl work all the time. These ppl will face more risks.

Unless you also happen to work in such an an environment the effects of passive smoking are negligble at best. What's your weekly exposure to such anyway ?

Lord Nemesis said:
With Smoking it not only effects the health of the smoker, but the innocent bystanders as well, so its other peoples business as well if you smoke. The effect of smoking may manifest on you after 20 years, but the effect of that smoke on a asthma prone bystander may be more immediate and serious. I think people definitely have a right to be judgmental about smoking.

Thatz a flawed argument every non smoker makes. You can use that line if and only if you dont use a car/bike, taxi, bus etc becoz they all emit smoke which affects innocent by standers. Think of all the children and asthama patients whose lungs you have poisoned becoz you directly or indirectly use a combustible engine.

So you have no right to be judgmental about smoking.

Peace :)

^^Just for arguments sake, cigarette smoke at close quarters is a lot more dangerous than the diffused vehicle smoke. Also from what I have read, the cigarette smoke is 10 times more polluting than a typical diesel exhaust.

Secondly Vehicles have become a necessity for our current way of life. Everyone uses them one time or the other, so there are no innocent bystanders with regard to this. Even then we look for ways to reduce emissions from vehicles. Why do we have so many standards and research going on regarding that. We don't want to create more pollution than needed to get our work done. And to add people do get judgmental about vehicular and industrial pollution.

By the same yard stick, cigarette smoking is an absolutely non essential form of pollution caused by a group of people in the society. Cigarettes are not a necessity and People can live without smoking (Unless they smoked so much that they got addicted to it and their brains will stop functioning without that). So your analogy still has major flaws :p

Lord Nemesis said:
^^Just for arguments sake, cigarette smoke at close quarters is a lot more dangerous than the diffused vehicle smoke. Also from what I have read, the cigarette smoke is 10 times more polluting than a typical diesel exhaust.

But then a car generates much more volume of smoke. Regardless, there is no justification for smoking in public places, especially places like trains etc.

Lord Nemesis said:

Secondly Vehicles have become a necessity for our current way of life. Everyone uses them one time or the other, so there are no innocent bystanders with regard to this. Even then we look for ways to reduce emissions from vehicles. Why do we have so many standards and research going on regarding that. We don't want to create more pollution than needed to get our work done. And to add people do get judgmental about vehicular and industrial pollution.

By the same yard stick, cigarette smoking is an absolutely non essential form of pollution caused by a group of people in the society. Cigarettes are not a necessity and People can live without smoking (Unless they smoked so much that they got addicted to it and their brains will stop functioning without that). So your analogy still has major flaws :p

How do you say it isn't necessary? Maybe it isn't for you. Same way, vehicles might be a necessity for you, maybe not for others.

As you said vehicles have become a necessity for our current way of life, smoking might be a necessity for smokers. Maybe a smoke after a long hard day helps the smoker ease off, so wouldn't that be a necessity for him?

Lord Nemesis said:
Diffused and in the open yes, so less of a risk. But point still stands that you have to be in a smoke filled room for an extended period of time to be affected. Unless this is the norm for you the effects of passive smoking are blow out of all proportion.

Lord Nemesis said:
So there is good pollution & bad pollution is it :)

Pollution is what it is, how much of it you are exposed to is what matters.

Lord Nemesis said:
Man you could use that argument to say so much, why that overclock, why that latest gadget why this why that :)

chiron said:
But then a car generates much more volume of smoke. Regardless, there is no justification for smoking in public places, especially places like trains etc.

actually smoking is prohibited at all public places according to the law... including bars and pubs.
you can always report them to the authorities.

@load_nemesis
lets not relate smokers with careless people...those kinds exist everywhere.
it is like witnessing corruption and doing nothing about it (smoking in this case)... but again, complaining about the same and giving up to the same while ourselves are involved (and pollution due to engines in this case)...

madnav said:
the thing is that smokers are being treated worse than rapists..
(yes there are more rape cases than deaths due to lung cancer)

it is a life style for some people...it's not necessary for everyone to approve it, but discriminating a being for being a smoker is ridiculous imo.
the new GT guidelines state that any discussion or promotion of cigs, liquor n sex related stuff is not welcome in GT anymore.
can understand about sex related stuff which is illegal but i certainly do not like the discrimination of people who smoke and drink.
not talking about chain smokers or alcoholics but there are some who smoke occationally and who really don't care about their lives after 60-65 rightnow.

im not a regular smoker but i certainly do not like the hatred people carry towards smokers....

again..all this is just my opinion, and like the one's who discriminate and hate smokers..i'm too entitled to my opinion.

The way the Indian judicial system works, it takes a lot of years to prove that someone is a rapist. Even then, they may have been falsely implicated.

Since you are a smoker, you wont feel the agony of non-smokers every time a smoker shares a closed room with them.
Even those who smoke rarely, have bad breath. I cant even stand beside a smoker.

Back