Camera So which lenses do you have?

Dramatic seascapes, landscapes and action wildlife shots are my favourite. So I have 2 dream lenses, the 16-35 and a 600mm rocket launcher which I can always rent for a proper safari trip.

^ What about the legendary 14-24?

I'm looking to get a superzoom to shoot birds and wildlife. Budget can go upto 30k. What do you guys recommend:

Nikon 55-300 f4.5-5.6 (fairly new model)

Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6

Both have VR.

Or any other suggestions please? I can extend my budget a bit if I can get a sharper and faster lens.

vb86 said:
^ What about the legendary 14-24?

I'm looking to get a superzoom to shoot birds and wildlife. Budget can go upto 30k. What do you guys recommend:

Nikon 55-300 f4.5-5.6 (fairly new model)

Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6

Both have VR.

Or any other suggestions please? I can extend my budget a bit if I can get a sharper and faster lens.
Don't have the stones to use such an expensive, unprotected lens so close to the rocks and the waves. And with an uwa you have to get really really close.

The 70-300 is a much better lens.

1. Canon 18-55 kit lens

2. Tamron 18-270

3. Canon f/1.8 Prime

Gotta do justice to them first.. before setting sight on any other lenses

@ Blueren,

Hey, where did you buy your Tamron 18-270mm from and for how much? I've read in reviews that there might be some issues with zoom creep with lens, have you encountered such problem? Also, does absence of USM/HSF make lens noisy? This lens is on my wishlist so need to know before I buy it.

thin red line

IMG_7652.jpg

IMG_7653.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

Pic of the MF glass taken using the new lens :p

lens.jpg

anishphade said:
@ Blueren,

Hey, where did you buy your Tamron 18-270mm from and for how much? I've read in reviews that there might be some issues with zoom creep with lens, have you encountered such problem? Also, does absence of USM/HSF make lens noisy? This lens is on my wishlist so need to know before I buy it.
I bought it off b&h for 21k.. I think it still has a $150 rebate. (also heard that they've released a newer down sized version of the same lens) All I can say is the lens is a monster! I haven't noticed any significant noise under normal circumstances, although with the VC off, the quality reduces because of hand shake. Regarding the zoom creep, yes. The lens does collapse and expand under its own weight. Actually, that isn't a big bother cos your left hand will always be onto the lens. The zoom ring does get slightly tight as it nears the 55-70 mm range.

Quality of pics is very good! If you can find the lens around the same rate, you can go for it :)

Can't believe I missed this thread for so long.... so without further ado, here's my list:

Using them on D90 + D70s
  • Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED (all-rounder lens while on move or for quick trips)
  • Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D
  • Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
  • Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX AF 11-16mm f/2.8
  • Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

Hoping to get either Nikon 85mm f/1.8 or Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 in near future.... :)

Yogi: Was wondering why you were missing from all DSLR discussions :)

There is a sticky DSLR thread, as well as a photography thread. Please be more active there too :)

Back