Software that can disable useless background services

Hi,

So, the Windows 10 just got an auto update to version 21H2 OS Build 19044.1526. I am not using any ssd, the system used to run fine. The specs of the system https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04863397 I use it only for browsing and for work related purposes. With this update it has become very slow, even copy pasting certain files is taking much time along with booting. The disk usage is always on the higher side and usually some background MS service is consuming it. There are tons of new background services after this update. Before going the ssd way+increasing the ram, is there any software which can show the services running in the background and tell us which are safe to be disabled or something? Checking each service one by one will consume a lot of time.

Thanks

@Ankit2306 @booo @nRiTeCh @Kaleen Bhaiya

Can you post a screenshot of the task manager view . for disabling background services i prefer a sound knowledge of services.msc and msconfig does the trick ...i find that the most usefull

Last edited:
As suggested by @Ankit2306 post the details. And also have you installed any tools/software after the upgrade ?

Also, hdd as a boot drive on win10 is no more a worthy option. I remember how frustrated I was 3 yrs ago when my hdd used to rock on my desktop and after windows updates for few subsequent months the exp. just went on getting horrible to the tune that I have to wait for a good 15 mins or so to actually be able to use my i7 2gb ram system.
I had done all tuning of disabling services and gpedits tunings etc. but these updates somewhat rendered all these useless.

Now you only imagine what win10 can do to even a rock solid hardware. I immediately bought an ssd and it has been a breeze there since.

Would suggest the same here as well. Get an ssd!

SSD is a long term but a necessary solution given how windows has become resource intensive.
Another problem is disabling certain services can cause Windows to malfunction if you don't know why is it running in the first place and give unexpected headache. As mentioned, SSD is the way to go. They are far more cheaper as they become mainstream (untill COVID hit and cause scarcity of semiconductor chips.)
I had done all tuning of disabling services and gpedits tunings etc. but these updates somewhat rendered all these useless.
This... Even if you scrape through Google for every article on earth on disabling background services, they could be rendered naught by the future updates. Honesly, not worth the time and money. Or best!!! Get a Linux distro.

I suggest not to invest time into debloating scripts as it can be rendered useless and more problematic in the future by any update.
Also don't procrastinate the inevitable. Expecting to run modern OS on multiple decades old technology and expecting acceptable performance is not wise.
Buy a cheap SATA SSD, be it 120/240GB just for a boot drive and experience for yourself the drastic change in performance.

For me, time is worth way more than a couple thousand Rupees saved.

Took screenshots for two days, it takes like 10-20 minutes to bring the disk usage to normal after booting and then the system runs fine. But for those 10-20 minutes it lags so much. There was a Windows update about 2 days back, I "think" it has improved the situation a bit, will be able to confirm after a couple of days.

Day 1

Cooling down

Day 2
Not Firefox's fault in the first few screenshots, whenever it is started it uses a lot of disk and then it becomes normal

Cooling down

Why is it using the GPU?

After the last update

These issues are related to Windows update and automatic Nvidia driver updates mostly. I have "fixed" them in the past by doing exactly what the tutorials have mentioned as someone mentioned in the reply. For Nvidia too it needed some tweaking after every update https://techenclave.com/threads/nvidia-auto-update-issues-etc.203468/ Otherwise the next Windows update used to correct it. And moreover as per my usage never felt the need for a ssd.

Now considering it because this is the laptop https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04863397 ran gta v for 5 minutes like a month back after 4 years and the fan ran like it was going to explode. Plus it heated way too much. I think it needs to be opened and needs a thorough cleaning along with some thermal paste.

- Can this laptop be opened at home by watching videos and all?
- Thermal paste a yes?
- Will the ssd fit in place of the dvd drive? If yes then please suggest one, planning for 128 or 240gb along with a caddy if needed?
- The most important of them all, due to shortage of time and as activating the original software's again might be a mess (shared by my friend a long time ago), if I go the ssd way then I am planning to clone the c drive using say macrium and shift it to the ssd. Will it work fine? I mean ssd will have the cloned windows, basically the whole c drive.
- How much more power/electricity will the ssd need? Asking in terms of battery life and considering that this is an old laptop.

@Ankit2306 @nRiTeCh @Kaleen Bhaiya @bigb123 @booo @enthusiast29

Last edited:
- Yes, take pictures as you go along. Don't use too much force on anything.
- Most definitely
- Yes and yes. Buy a 9.5mm universal caddy (amazon). Use caddy for HDD though. Use SSD in current HDD slot/area.
- Should be fine
- 5W max. You're already consuming that if DVD drive is attached, so technically no more/less.

You have HP laptop which is similar to mine in design so yes, caddy is the way to go.

I know money could be a constraint but if possible, try to get a 500 gb if you are looking for longetivity with SSD. Higher the capacity, more is the life.

Regarding power, you will definitely save power since there's no mechanical part which needs to run continuously which drains battery. So battery life should be good.

- Yes, take pictures as you go along. Don't use too much force on anything.
- Most definitely
- Yes and yes. Buy a 9.5mm universal caddy (amazon). Use caddy for HDD though. Use SSD in current HDD slot/area.
- Should be fine
- 5W max. You're already consuming that if DVD drive is attached, so technically no more/less.
Thanks
Can you recommend a good thermal paste brand? And once opened for how long the same can be kept before it dries up?
Can you suggest a caddy and ssd? My budget is 4-4.5k max
About cloning c drive with macrium, I remember people were divided about this on erodov. Some suggested it worked but other said that cloning c drive which has basically the os installed will lead to issues and eventually the user will have to fresh install everything. Any ideas about this?

You have HP laptop which is similar to mine in design so yes, caddy is the way to go.

I know money could be a constraint but if possible, try to get a 500 gb if you are looking for longetivity with SSD. Higher the capacity, more is the life.

Regarding power, you will definitely save power since there's no mechanical part which needs to run continuously which drains battery. So battery life should be good.
Thanks. Any DIY video regarding the same? My budget is max 4-4.5k including ssd and caddy. Please suggest some good one's.

Higher the capacity, more is the life.
How can more capacity increase the battery life?

Another question, if I exchange this laptop on an ecommerce website then how much will it fetch? I am not able to see any laptop with any exchange offer.

Should I go for an additional ram too? This has 8gigs of ram. Again it is enough as per my usage and I don't game. Even GTA V ran flawlessly when I used to play it regularly years back. But nowadays I have no time for gaming. Asking as Windows updates need very high resources nowadays.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this guide will help you a lot , check it out
Thank you Sir. @02:58 is the part about which I am scared about. The part below the keyboard is kinda cracked from one side. It might break up while opening it. Do we get spares for such an old laptop from anywhere? The local hp service center does not have them, moreover they are idiots. + @enthusiast29 @Kaleen Bhaiya
Need your insights for the other queries too.

Thank you Sir. @02:58 is the part about which I am scared about. The part below the keyboard is kinda cracked from one side. It might break up while opening it. Do we get spares for such an old laptop from anywhere? The local hp service center does not have them, moreover they are idiots. + @enthusiast29 @Kaleen Bhaiya
Need your insights for the other queries too.
This is available in local markets in kolkata , specifically in Chadni Market of Kolkata , Can inform you about the availability on Monday as tomorrow is Sunday , if that helps

You can find local spare parts even on amazon easily especially for HP. Just search part number on amazon.

For thermal paste just buy a small syringe of Noctua NT-H1 or even cheap cooler master ones can work for you since it's an old non-gaming laptop.
As for SSD I'd say go with Crucial MX500 if you have the budget anything under that if you don't. Just don't buy WD green garbage.

Don't take this personally or in the other way but you should do a little more searching yourself for such trivial things.

I was faced with a similar dilemma on my windows 10 laptop, it became so bad that the fans used to spin up with just the background bloat/ services on windows.

I then went through jayztwocents's video on optimizing windows 10 and he suggested this software https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

For me personally it solved the background issues problem, perhaps you could give it a try

@Ankit2306 @nRiTeCh @Kaleen Bhaiya @bigb123 @booo @enthusiast29
Hi Guys,

So dived a little more into this as I was free and found that the laptop has sata iii for main slot and sata i for the dvd drive

If the hdd is fit into the caddy and is used in sata i then how much will its performance, read and write speed, be reduced?

Lastly I am not able to figure out the size of the caddy needed. Don't have the toolkit or time to take it out somewhere to get it checked. Is that mentioned by hp somehere? + @Ankit2306
I was faced with a similar dilemma on my windows 10 laptop, it became so bad that the fans used to spin up with just the background bloat/ services on windows.

I then went through jayztwocents's video on optimizing windows 10 and he suggested this software https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

For me personally it solved the background issues problem, perhaps you could give it a try
WUMT tool was something similar, though it has stopped working and I am not able to find the latest version. Will check this and get back. Thanks.

Back