Software that can disable useless background services

@Ankit2306 @nRiTeCh @Kaleen Bhaiya @bigb123 @booo @enthusiast29
Hi Guys,

So dived a little more into this as I was free and found that the laptop has sata iii for main slot and sata i for the dvd drive

If the hdd is fit into the caddy and is used in sata i then how much will its performance, read and write speed, be reduced?

Lastly I am not able to figure out the size of the caddy needed. Don't have the toolkit or time to take it out somewhere to get it checked. Is that mentioned by hp somehere? + @Ankit2306

WUMT tool was something similar, though it has stopped working and I am not able to find the latest version. Will check this and get back. Thanks.
SATA III specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I and SATA II ports. However, the maximum speed of the drive will be slower due to the lower speed limitations of the port.The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA III specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I and SATA II ports. However, the maximum speed of the drive will be slower due to the lower speed limitations of the port.The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.
Thank you. As sata i provides 150 MB/s speed, how much max speed does a hdd requires?
Is this info correct about the caddy size? https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...1&tagtag_uid=2d801bb7da7eacaf7406f0546f1df0dd Any good caddy brand or all are chinese generic one's?

I'm pretty sure the DVD drive is what performs at SATA1 specification and not the actual controller on the motherboard. You should buy any 9.5mm caddy freely, chuck the HDD in the caddy and SSD in place of HDD and forget it.

Thank you. As sata i provides 150 MB/s speed, how much max speed does a hdd requires?
Is this info correct about the caddy size? https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/SSD-upgrade-in-hp-pavilion-15-ab522tx-notebook/td-p/7464713

Is this info correct about the caddy size? https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...1&tagtag_uid=2d801bb7da7eacaf7406f0546f1df0dd Any good caddy brand or all are chinese generic one's?
Yes It is

@Ankit2306 @nRiTeCh @Kaleen Bhaiya @bigb123 @booo @enthusiast29
Thanks everyone especially @Ankit2306 sir, ordered everything. Two requests-

1. Please share video link in which it shows how to clean processor and add thermal pasting for this laptop model?
2. Also share steps and software to be used for cloning c drive to ssd, how to make partition in ssd etc. Don’t have sata to usb cable or enlcosure budget issues

Edit-
- As hdd will be in caddy with sata i and sdd will be sata iii so will it give decent speed to and from hdd to ssd and vice versa?
- And hdd in sata iii performed well except slowness due to windows. If it is shifted to sata i then will it impact its health or overall durability?

Last edited:
Edit-
- As hdd will be in caddy with sata i and sdd will be sata iii so will it give decent speed to and from hdd to ssd and vice versa?
- And hdd in sata iii performed well except slowness due to windows. If it is shifted to sata i then will it impact its health or overall durability?
1. No. There is bottleneck between sata 1 and 3.
2. No.
Also share steps and software to be used for cloning c drive to ssd, how to make partition in ssd etc. Don’t have sata to usb cable or enlcosure budget issues

Which drive you got and capacity?

1. Please share video link in which it shows how to clean processor and add thermal pasting for this laptop model?
Ans : Check this Manual For Further Assistance , Specifically the Maintenance And Service Guide
2. Also share steps and software to be used for cloning c drive to ssd, how to make partition in ssd etc. Don’t have sata to usb cable or enlcosure budget issues
Ans : AOMEI Backupper Standard its Free
3. As hdd will be in caddy with sata i and sdd will be sata iii so will it give decent speed to and from hdd to ssd and vice versa?
Ans : No it Wont , Still the speed is descent for day to day task .
4.And hdd in sata iii performed well except slowness due to windows. If it is shifted to sata i then will it impact its health or overall durability?
Ans : No it Wont , Only the Power Consumption increases by a Fraction .

@Kaleen Bhaiya @Ankit2306

Thanks for replying. Did a little more digging last night and found that in ab522tx the main slot is sata iii and the dvd drive is sata i, confused about this part. Now also found these arguments in favor of using the ssd in the caddy-

1. HDD need much better heat dissipation compared to ssd & its original slot in the laptop is designed keeping this in mind but in a caddy placed inside dvd drive slot one can rest assured that heat dissipation for hdd there will be less. For same reason there will always be more chances of more intense physical shocks being experienced by a hdd in a dvd drive slot caddy compared to its original slot.

2. Some laptops have some sort of power saving feature enabled on dvd drive sata port which is hard wired into laptop bios & cannot be changed or even visible(only way to know this is by seeing weird & random hdd errors & crashes while accessing something on hdd). This is no issue for a ssd which has much faster read write speeds as well as zero “spin up” waiting period but for a hdd this is disastrous & will result in data corruption as well as negative impact on its health over a long term.

3. The HDD will be already old, it will likely have bad sectors and other health issues

4. Any data you access (write/read doesn’t matter) from HDD will be slow even if you access via SSD. Unless you badly need to extend the storage, do not go for caddy and add a lagging variable to the relatively fast machine.

I have no problem using the ssd in the caddy, I only need it with Windows installed for faster booting etc. but the problem is that the drive will be sata i so it's performace will be reduced :(
Please guide. I personally don't want to take out the hdd out of the main slot but the sata i in dvd drive will defeat the purpose of a ssd.

Is there any way to know for sure that the dvd drive is on sata i, maybe from hp official website or somewhere?

I got the crucial BX 240 gigs, didn't have budget for the MX series :( Even if Windows takes up 100gigs in the future it should have atleast 100-115gb free space which seems okay as of now @Kaleen Bhaiya Do we need to register crucial ssd's on their site or is the invoice enough for warranty?

You're overthinking this a lot more than it's worth. I've been using HDD in a caddy across two laptops since 8 years now and had no issues. If controller on the board is SATA1 for DVD then it makes all the more sense to use HDD in it as it will be affected way less than the SSD. Why would you want your SSD which would be a boot drive be crippled by the controller speed limitation?
Use it in the normal HDD slot so you get the best experience possible in your day to day computing.
HDD in the caddy won't affect much because you'll mostly be using sequential speeds on the hard drive for your data storage which would already be limited somewhere around 100-120MBps and that is supported by SATA1. Random speeds are too low for HDDs like 1-2MBps and they won't be affected at all.

You don't need to register anything for any standard warranty, your bill is enough proof and that goes for all the brands. Extended warranties are a separate clause and might require registration and that's not applicable here.

Last edited:
You're overthinking this a lot more than it's worth. I've been using HDD in a caddy across two laptops since 8 years now and had no issues. If controller on the board is SATA1 for DVD then it makes all the more sense to use HDD in it as it will be affected way less than the SSD. Why would you want your SSD which would be a boot drive be crippled by the controller speed limitation?
Use it in the normal HDD slot so you get the best experience possible in your day to day computing.
HDD in the caddy won't affect much because you'll mostly be using sequential speeds on the hard drive for your data storage which would already be limited somewhere around 100-120MBps and that is supported by SATA1. Random speeds are too low for HDDs like 1-2MBps and they won't be affected at all.

You don't need to register anything for any warranty, your bill is enough proof.
Thank you, this is assuring. So all the arguments in favor of ssd in caddy can be ignored? I copy pasted them from some other forum. Multiple members agreed to that so that is why I asked.

Also ssd will only have windows and the main drive will have all the data which is needed for day to day usage, I hope the speed to access, read/write the same won't be slow as one drive will be in sata i and the other in sata iii.

BTW what's the make of your hdd that is running from 8 years?

Yes, just install SSD in place of HDD and the HDD in the caddy. Also install windows and your software/programs on SSD only. Use HDD for normal data storage or really heavy stuff like games. Using HDD for your applications defeats the purpose of SSD. I use a 240GB SSD on my main PC and keep applications on it still have a 100GB left.
Normal usage laptops I have are fine on 120GB SSD with daily usage apps.

I have multiple HDDs that are healthy since 5-8+ years. Seagate, Hitachi, WD and HGST. Not a single bad sector. Guess it's my luck.
Don't worry about physical damage unless you're mishandling the laptop or tossing it around. I advise not to tilt, carry laptop (in vertical position) while there's a mechanical drive inside and running. Keep it horizontal when carrying so that HDDs are not impacting by sudden change of position while spinning. If you only have SSD then by all means you can toss it around as long as it's not breaking.

Last edited:
Did a little more digging last night and found that in ab522tx the main slot is sata iii and the dvd drive is sata i, confused about this part. Now also found these arguments in favor of using the ssd in the caddy-
Been using the caddy with my hdd for around 5 years. No issues. If you still feel insecured, go for a cooling pad with fans. The cooler air intake should help managing the thermals in general and hdd in particular. But this is still overthinking. I am using HP laptop for more than 5 years and no issues with the hdd despite not using cooling pads.
Some laptops have some sort of power saving feature enabled on dvd drive sata port
Even if it is true, the power saving only kicks in when the drive is idle and not when its in use. In fact, this will reduce the wear and tear of the spindle and the magnetic plates improving longevity.
3. The HDD will be already old, it will likely have bad sectors and other health issues
BS!! By that logic, I have a maxtor drive brought way back in 2004 and it should be dead by now. Still working fine.
As already mentioned above, use your SSD for OS and applications and HDD as a datastore.
Also, if you are regular in updating windows, then occassionally do clean up C drive as it uses space for system restore when updating. This can be deleted if you feel your system is working fine after a major update from Microsoft.

Use HDD for normal data storage or really heavy stuff like games.
Sir say a game is installed in HDD vs the same installed in a SSD, will the latter be more fluid? Or is it recommended because of limited cycles in a SSD?
Even if it is true, the power saving only kicks in when the drive is idle and not when its in use. In fact, this will reduce the wear and tear of the spindle and the magnetic plates improving longevity.
+ @enthusiast29 @Ankit2306

Thank you all, learning a lot. Last few queries, next will be about cloning.

- These are the current power settings-

Not able to find any power setting for the ODD, maybe it is hard wired in the BIOS like the argument in favor of ssd in caddy stated. Are the above shown power settings okay?

- I have searched everywhere but not able to find the answer to this, in hp ab522tx laptop is the ODD sata i or ii or iii? Is there any way to make sure of it without opening it? HP should have mentioned it somewhere.

- Also, if you are regular in updating windows, then occassionally do clean up C drive as it uses space for system restore when updating. This can be deleted if you feel your system is working fine after a major update from Microsoft.

You mean the downloaded files for Windows updates? Where are they stored exactly?

Last edited:
Sir say a game is installed in HDD vs the same installed in a SSD, will the latter be more fluid? Or is it recommended because of limited cycles in a SSD?

+ @enthusiast29 @Ankit2306

Thank you all, learning a lot. Last few queries, next will be about cloning.

- These are the current power settings-

Not able to find any power setting for the ODD, maybe it is hard wired in the BIOS like the argument in favor of ssd in caddy stated. Are the above shown power settings okay?

- I have searched everywhere but not able to find the answer to this, in hp ab522tx laptop is the ODD sata i or ii or iii? Is there any way to make sure of it without opening it? HP should have mentioned it somewhere.

- Also, if you are regular in updating windows, then occassionally do clean up C drive as it uses space for system restore when updating. This can be deleted if you feel your system is working fine after a major update from Microsoft.

You mean the downloaded files for Windows updates? Where are they stored exactly?
Check in Device Manager

Never bothered to look where it is but this is what I usually do.
Right click C drive-->Properties-->disk cleanup-->clean up system files-->Windows Update files.
There are two options there Windows update cleanup around 7 gb and Previous windows installation around 4gb, both can be deleted? Deleting these will make the restore points void?

Are the power settings ok for the whole system including hdd/sdd? https://techenclave.com/threads/sof...eless-background-services.204191/post-2350729
Sir where is it mentioned in the Device Manager, PFA

This info I got from hwinfo, it has mentioned sata 3.0 for the hdd but nothing for the ODD

@Ankit2306 Sir please guide when you get time.

Last edited:
Yes, deleting previous windows installation would make restore point void. Hence, if you feel you system runs smooth enough for a month or so after an update, you can delete it.
Windows update cleanup is the files windows downloads for updates. Safe to delete after sometime.
Are the power settings ok for the whole system including hdd/sdd?
Don't have access to PC, it becomes difficult to see them on mobile.

Last edited:
Also high disk usage can be attribute to Search indexer, you can try disabling the search indexing service or let the PC run for 1-2 days continuously for the indexer to complete its indexing of all files.

Yes, deleting previous windows installation would make restore point void. Hence, if you feel you system runs smooth enough for a month or so after an update, you can delete it.
Windows update cleanup is the files windows downloads for updates. Safe to delete after sometime.
Bhai if it nullifies the restore point then does it make sense to delete them to save some space?
What is the difference between Windows update cleanup and Previous windows installation?

Update- Received ssd but it is in a damaged condition currently they are only providing return. The seller packed it in a packet and not in a box. Let me talk to them again. :(

Back