Graphic Cards Someone got duped with old gpu

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Today I bumped into my old locality.
A known family from the opposite building saw and invited to their house. It was a warm welcome after long yrs and gradually our talks went ahead and their son told he bought a new graphics+gaming pc. This guy is a complete noob as he is no way related to IT. He finalized on this config after circuling around 8 dealers with price fights her there.

The system bought this yr oct 18
is robust with i5 7500k, msi b150, Corsair 16gb ddr4, cm 600w psu, st 1tb hdd, gigabyte rx480 gpu.

His dealer use to send him every snapshot of whatever components he ordered for him during assembling the system.
Except for gpu.
He directly delivered the system at his home everything assembled.

The fella smelled something fishy but left it. Just some days later he was curious to look at gpu and he opened the cabinet. Now everyone at least have this basic idea that a brand new thing looks shiny and smells new. To his surprise the gpu was bit dirty, pale, dull, some cooling fins bent, fungus type whiteness etc.
He wasnt so much sure rather confused whether or not to approach the dealer or not as even if he does he dont know how to defend his point and deal further.

One more thing, for none of the components did he received any boxes as everything was assembled at that dealers place itself nor he still gave him even on insisting. Though he got proper bill etc.

Another thing, he was asked if he would like to go for Sapphire card but since he is new to all this his friends suggested for Gigabyte.

He shared his query and we instantly opened the cabinet and I was also shocked that all components are shiny clean new except for the gpu...too dusty as no where in the cabinet there is even a visible grain dust spot, screws rusty, fins bent.

I have his gpu serial no but sadly gigabyte doesn't allow to check it for warranty online.

I asked him to confront that dealer regarding this, if he has messed up by providing used card, he needs to agree and act appropriately by refunding the proper amount or provide a brand new card for the paid amount or provide a new Sapphire variant.

And in these 3 scenarios its all 50 50 or 70 30 chances but this is the first approach before moving further.

Last thing is to walk in gigabyte sc and check for the remaining warranty period and then grab his collar.

What else can be done?

Last edited:
What else can be done?

step 1 - don't be a noob.

really. If people can't take time out to open the cabinet when its delivered and call the seller then it's their fault. That person can try now and say that the seller didn't give him new card. What does the invoice say? Is it the same Gigabyte card along with the serial number on card? If it is then ask the shop keeper once nicely without shouting. If he makes a fuss or abuses etc just go to police station with proofs saying the kid was defrauded. Take a printout of Gigabyte site where you can check serial number and age or take GPU-Z screenshot. Probably you can find out manufacturing date and month from that tool.

Update:
As doubted the card is 1.2 yrs old bought from amazon and seems somebody used it and sold off on olx,quikr or directly to this dealer and he duped this fella with that card.

Here is the invoice of his full computer purchase.
upload_2018-12-4_21-16-46.png

** Ignore the I7 thing as its a typo as per dealer and its i5 instead which was promised and delivered. (i checked it and its good)

Here is the invoice of the gfx card from amazon

upload_2018-12-4_21-17-39.png

Friend will quarrel with him for taking full amount and still giving him over 1yr old card.
He will ask for full card amount refund or refund for appropriate used card value as of today.

So now need 2 things guys:

1. Need to know the real valuation of this used card as on Oct 2018 or latest today so friend will ask him the proper refund.
  2. Whats the local street price of this card. (not online)

Ok and what about rates for rest of the components? Are they fair enough?[DOUBLEPOST=1543943095][/DOUBLEPOST]Which card is worthy of 21k both NVIDIA and Amd?

Earlier, I believe there was a blacklist of sorts, dunno where (E or TE), which had vendors to be avoided - if still active, this vendor needs to be added on the list.

Ok and what about rates for rest of the components? Are they fair enough?[DOUBLEPOST=1543943095][/DOUBLEPOST]Which card is worthy of 21k both NVIDIA and Amd?
honestly, all the prices are 200~500rs extra considering its an offline shop. I bet you can find all the components cheaper online than on the bill above. But it's ok. let it go.

You guys need to confront him, get your money back for the GPU and then get a new bill which mentions the processor name correctly and has a GST number. Tell him office people aren't accepting bill without GST number. Which processor does that PC have? Because iirc theres no such processor as i5 5500 for desktop[DOUBLEPOST=1543988139][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1543943095][/DOUBLEPOST]Which card is worthy of 21k both NVIDIA and Amd?
your friend overpaid for GPU too since its last year's rx 470. This years Rx 570 8GB retails for around 21k online and 1k cheaper offline

https://mdcomputers.in/gigabyte-gv-rx580aorus-8gd.html

Last edited:
Guys he negotiated and fought as far as he can and he is only receiving 3k as refund or a choice for a brand new gpu but 6gb variant in same 21k pricing.

He was happy for 3k but I told him to hold on and it is better to opt for a brand new card instead.

Now currently what he is having is a used 8gb rx480.
What he will be offered is a 6gb brand new pack piece but not even any refund if the price comes down against 21k paid amount.

Now suggest appropriate gpu upto 20 21k mark so that it rounds off to a better deal.

Guys he negotiated and fought as far as he can and he is only receiving 3k as refund or a choice for a brand new gpu but 6gb variant in same 21k pricing.

He was happy for 3k but I told him to hold on and it is better to opt for a brand new card instead.

Now currently what he is having is a used 8gb rx480.
What he will be offered is a 6gb brand new pack piece but not even any refund if the price comes down against 21k paid amount.

Now suggest appropriate gpu upto 20 21k mark so that it rounds off to a better deal.
This might seem like a drastic stretch but can you go to the police? go to police station and explain your problem. They'll call that guy, counsel him aka explain him to give your money back. It worked for a friend of mine, no legal cases and all. 99% of them time, he'll try to avoid police matters. Just take an afternoon off and go to the police station and explain your problem. Its totally ok

Get him an 1060 6GB one. Not 3GB one. 6GB one.

I do not recollect any 6GB RX 480 being released. I think you should atleast get GTX 1060 6GB or RX580 in 20-22K range.
What I mean is the dealer is ready to offer him only a 6gb variant across any brand cards. 1030/60, or rx series. Now it totally depends if it fits within his 21k bracket or he might need to shell out more to it.

Last edited:
This might seem like a drastic stretch but can you go to the police? go to police station and explain your problem. They'll call that guy, counsel him aka explain him to give your money back. It worked for a friend of mine, no legal cases and all. 99% of them time, he'll try to avoid police matters. Just take an afternoon off and go to the police station and explain your problem. Its totally ok

Right but if the op himself want to settle it this way there is nothing much we can do. His last resort was police but seems his family refrained him from doing so may be due to his sisters wedding in coming weeks. They are trying to avoid any hassles and issues arising during this time.

Do the Police really take up these cases unless you know someone inside? Usually even for a stolen vehicle we need to spend couple of thousands to speed up the case. Unless there is pressure the Police will not act on these cases and even if they do the OP needs to spend some money. I maybe wrong but that is how our system works.

Right but if the op himself want to settle it this way there is nothing much we can do. His last resort was police but seems his family refrained him from doing so may be due to his sisters wedding in coming weeks. They are trying to avoid any hassles and issues arising during this time.
The guy who sold him is a total crook, he gave him old 480 which must have been sold for mining.
Tell him to get full refund or complain to police, I'm sure police will do something because amount is not small.
Your friend already overpaid when he could have gotten 580.
I don't know how his parents spent so much money on the rig and are still taking things so lightly.

Do the Police really take up these cases unless you know someone inside? Usually even for a stolen vehicle we need to spend couple of thousands to speed up the case. Unless there is pressure the Police will not act on these cases and even if they do the OP needs to spend some money. I maybe wrong but that is how our system works.
oh yeah. friend fell for that olx scam where person lists a car for very attractive rate and when customer calls, he says many people are already in line, pay some amount like 10k to book your car. customer pays and olx guy quickly disappers. In my friends case, he actually met that guy and he gave adhaar card which turned out to be fake. Well, after one month, my friend saw that same car picture on olx again. So this time, he went to police station, a constable took the complaint, we called him and he turned up with car. constable catches him, threatens with cases and he returns back the money and case is closed. didn't need to pay any thing. (hyd malkajgiri PS to be precise)

Back