Sony Erricson - Xperia Play (GSM) Useful Links

LOL! So us 'oldies' play, and kiddies ... ... listen to kolaveri ?? :p

Btw, what did you decide to get man? Going for the play or not?

It all depends on my friend who's returning from UK sometime in Jan. He is also impressed by the phone and that just doubles my chances :)

Else, I'll wait till a slim version of VITA

Julian said:
I've tried the SE xperia arc theme on the blade, and the menus (settings etc.) were transparent. So i edited the status bar manually to make it transparent. Do you notice transparency anywhere in the menus?

Not that i noticed. So I'm assuming it doesn't support it. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Added links for performance tweaks to first post:

V6 Supercharger script : Better Memory Management. No redraws/lags in games etc.

KeiranFTW's Tweaks:

Mobile BRAVIA Engine - Enables the Mobile BRAVIA Engine as seen on other semc devices
Enable JIT Tweak - Enables Just In Time compilation on stock ROM
Enables hardware acceleration and improves touchscreen responsiveness
GPU UI Rendering Tweak - Enables GPU UI Rendering

Julian said:
Any repartitioning tricks to improve on the internal storage?

Havent found any yet. Will let you know if I do. I normally just remove bloatware, use rom toolbox to change the default install locations of apps to external and then use app2sd to move apps to the SDCard. Works great and leaves me with a good amount of free space on the phone.

ok now i'm confused with all the app moving programs. There's app2sd, apps2sd, link2sd, (Darktremor?) a2sd??

Man, i can't believe how much i hate the stock rom but i have just 3 days before i leave town so i dont think i can upgrade to cm7 just yet with all the backups etc. Right now everything seems overwhelming (your boatload of links actually :p ), I feel like a complete android noob. Here's my plan, install cwm, backup, root and then use as is. After i get back to bombay, i'll see about romming.

One Q, what does installing cwm do really? what i mean is, does it overwrite some kinda stock SE recovery or was there nothing in the first place. Reason i'm asking is because before i do anything, i like to know it can be undone. In this case 'uninstalling' cmw.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And any way to get the cm7 like power control widget on the stock rom?

I'm not clear about one thing. Unlocking the bootloader will delete drm certificates without any chance of recovering them, thereby blocking all official SE content, as well as OTA updates. And even relocking won't bring this functionality back. But can this problem be circumvented by making a nandroid backup? So instead of just relocking, restoring the backup in cwm will bring me back to factory state (with cmw as recovery of course)?

Ok, just learnt that the 'easy' install method of cwm puts it into the system partition.

And i found 'widgetsoid' and 'power control widget' on market. Does the job well enough.

You mentioned that after unlocking the BL you just installed the stock UK firmware. Did this give you your drm certificates back? apparently THE way to check is to run TrackID (!!!). Such a crappy app, soundhound works much better i think.

One extremely weird thing is that there's no basic file manager app !

Right there is transparency under the menus. So i guess editing the .png statusbar image and setting the transparency on that should do the job.

Julian said:
Man, i can't believe how much i hate the stock rom but i have just 3 days before i leave town so i dont think i can upgrade to cm7 just yet with all the backups etc. Right now everything seems overwhelming (your boatload of links actually :p ), I feel like a complete android noob. Here's my plan, install cwm, backup, root and then use as is. After i get back to bombay, i'll see about romming.

One Q, what does installing cwm do really? what i mean is, does it overwrite some kinda stock SE recovery or was there nothing in the first place. Reason i'm asking is because before i do anything, i like to know it can be undone. In this case 'uninstalling' cmw.

The stock roms ok once you get rid of all useless bloatware. Like you said below the easy version of cwm recovery installs in the system and does not mess up anthing AFAIK. I use the ADW EX launcher and love the way it feels. Very customizable too.

And any way to get the cm7 like power control widget on the stock rom?

There is an addon on XDA to add power controls like cm7 with the 2.3.4 stock rom. im using it now and its scrollable and great. XDA seems to be down atm so will post up the link a bit later. better than using widgetsoid i think.

I'm not clear about one thing. Unlocking the bootloader will delete drm certificates without any chance of recovering them, thereby blocking all official SE content, as well as OTA updates. And even relocking won't bring this functionality back. But can this problem be circumvented by making a nandroid backup? So instead of just relocking, restoring the backup in cwm will bring me back to factory state (with cmw as recovery of course)?

Unlocking the bootloader does delete drm certificates and will not allow you to use the sony pc companion software or OTA properlyto update etc. Some people have even bricked their phones after trying an OTA update with an unlocked bootloader.

However after installing the stock uk firmware with the unlocked bootloader, i did have access to all the SE apps as well as the free games/option to download the additional ones for free (EA stuff) . Did not check trackid at that point. But all the freebies were available to me after the install. I have since then however, relocked my bootloader in hopes of the official ICS release :p

One extremely weird thing is that there's no basic file manager app !

Yep found that strange too:S. Installed Root explorer after rooting.

Right there is transparency under the menus. So i guess editing the .png statusbar image and setting the transparency on that should do the job.

Hmm.. Will try the themeing thing again. Hopefully it works this time

How do you find the phone though?

The Notification Toggle link

[MOD]Notification toggles [4.0.2.A.0.42/.58] - xda-developers

OK so using adw should bring me close to the cm7 default feel without the underlying core/kernel enhancements. Will try. Never used EX but now i got applanet muahahahahha !

So it's still unclear if installing the stock rom restores drm. What matters anyway is that everything works, which it does. And trackid is crap, shazam and soundhound are miles ahead, so no issues there. And after this crappy rom, i don't think i'll go for sony's ics, rather wait for cm9.

Hmm, i had mixed results with UOT on cm7 on the blade. Cant remember exactly now but some things worked and some things i needed to do manually.

Muchos gracias for the notification toggle.

Phone is very nice, bit bulky and heavy but that was expected and acceptable. Gaming is frickin AWESOME! OS sucks monkey balls. Slider is a bit wobbly but what to do. I thought the glossy finish would suck but it's not as bad as some phones *cough samsung cough* lol. Overall very happy with the purchase and NO ONE can believe the price!

One thing i really miss from cm7: I've never understood the concept of waking the phone with the not-easily-accidentally-pressed power button and THEN swiping to unlock the screen. The first step is more than sufficient. So i disable the lockscreen completely. Except here, only one of the power widgets had the option to disable lockscreen but it resets on reboot. Anyway to make this persistent over reboot

Julian said:
NO ONE can believe the price!

One thing i really miss from cm7: I've never understood the concept of waking the phone with the not-easily-accidentally-pressed power button and THEN swiping to unlock the screen. The first step is more than sufficient. So i disable the lockscreen completely. Except here, only one of the power widgets had the option to disable lockscreen but it resets on reboot. Anyway to make this persistent over reboot

Yep the price that I was getting it for was a big + while picking up the phone. How much did you finally pay for it?

I never thought about the lockscreen too much. Ill look around and see if there is anything to keep if off permanently.

£155 including the free experience pack (dock+short usb cable+audio cable) so that's Rs. 12,600 or so.

I found an app called no lock, but i dunno if it maintains a wakelock from some of the noob comments posted.

Julian said:
£155 including the free experience pack (dock+short usb cable+audio cable) so that's Rs. 12,600 or so.

I found an app called no lock, but i dunno if it maintains a wakelock from some of the noob comments posted.

Thats a really good price.

Some bad news on the ICS front. It really shouldnt take a huge company like SE that long to port it over to their phones. :huh:

Ice Cream Sandwich coming to 2011 Xperia

I'm sure they will focus on newer and more expensive models first. Money always comes first. Besides, i'm thoroughly disappointed with the SE gui which i thought would be awesome (i haven't removed any apps yet though). So rather than wait for a bloated ics, i've my finger's crossed for cm9. seems an alpha's already out for the blade.

So i've tried the usual video players like mobo, vital, rock, etc. and none seem to support hw acceleration. Like the blade had the armv6vfp codec, this has nothing. Do you know of any player that supports hw? and what's the max res video that plays smoothly and without loosing a/v sync. I've tried 720p hd, no joy. mini 720ps (7-800mb) also aren't smooth/in sync. 480p seems to work smooth. There should be some way to tap that adreno205's power.

This post mentions moboplayer having hw accel, i'm yet to see it.

Julian said:
I'm sure they will focus on newer and more expensive models first. Money always comes first. Besides, i'm thoroughly disappointed with the SE gui which i thought would be awesome (i haven't removed any apps yet though). So rather than wait for a bloated ics, i've my finger's crossed for cm9. seems an alpha's already out for the blade.

So i've tried the usual video players like mobo, vital, rock, etc. and none seem to support hw acceleration. Like the blade had the armv6vfp codec, this has nothing. Do you know of any player that supports hw? and what's the max res video that plays smoothly and without loosing a/v sync. I've tried 720p hd, no joy. mini 720ps (7-800mb) also aren't smooth/in sync. 480p seems to work smooth. There should be some way to tap that adreno205's power.

This post mentions moboplayer having hw accel, i'm yet to see it.
Yep thats the only link I found too. Havent ever tried Mobo, will try it later. You say it does not support HW acc? Read some stuff about VLC media player soon to be launched for android that would support hardware acc.

I tried my hand at themeing again and tranparency works on the play(i may have missed something earlier). Have my notification status dropdown completely transparent now.

Edit: found a version of VLC pre-alpha if you want to try it out. Download the Neon version.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1275179

Back