Split/Second Review

But I am not comparing with any other game. I never played Shift for more than 10 mins.

This game looks promising, but fails on many things that make playing this game a very bad experience.
1) 30 FPS cap
2) Xbox 360 controller not supported properly. (C'mon its a console port for christ's sake, you could have done better than this)
3) 30 FPS cap
4) Repetitive and boring gameplay after a few minutes.
5) 30 fps cap
6) The tutorial could have been better
10) 30 fps cap

Well, jokes apart, its a nice change of pace for the universe of racing games. I actually had fun for the 30 minutes that I have played it. Looking forward to play it some more this weekend. All in all, a nice game but there are some quirks that leave much to desire.

Finally Completed the Game :) .Its get boring after Season 8.Cars are screwed up ,tracks get boring .LAN with AI on is an awesome feature.

Just started playing the game but didnt enjoy it at all, the games only abt explosion and is starting 2 get boring after 4-5 races only, hope it gets better

The game is only about explosion . Its meant to be an arcade game not a pure racing game . Yes it does get boring but this game suits every mood

atiamd said:
But I am not comparing with any other game. I never played Shift for more than 10 mins.

This game looks promising, but fails on many things that make playing this game a very bad experience.

1) 30 FPS cap

2) Xbox 360 controller not supported properly. (C'mon its a console port for christ's sake, you could have done better than this)

3) 30 FPS cap

4) Repetitive and boring gameplay after a few minutes.

5) 30 fps cap

6) The tutorial could have been better

10) 30 fps cap
X360 controller and other controllers are very well supported on the PC build just the difference is that game displays only the Keyboard prompts as Keyboard is the Main Choice of controllers. I have played this game with X360/ Logitech Rumble pad and the controls are good.

30 FPS it is not an issue the game runs pretty well if you have a good gfx card and ram and does not lag even in explosions and bright lighting.

Gameplay you can say repetitive but it is not at all boring. Try to complete all 12 Episodes with Gold and watch the ending video :)

Tutorial is decent for a first time time player what else you needed a step by step guide to play game :p

Blur may be better than SS but dunno why I just love Split Second.

Roxtin said:
X360 controller and other controllers are very well supported on the PC build just the difference is that game displays only the Keyboard prompts as Keyboard is the Main Choice of controllers. I have played this game with X360/ Logitech Rumble pad and the controls are good.

30 FPS it is not an issue the game runs pretty well if you have a good gfx card and ram and does not lag even in explosions and bright lighting.

Gameplay you can say repetitive but it is not at all boring. Try to complete all 12 Episodes with Gold and watch the ending video :)

Tutorial is decent for a first time time player what else you needed a step by step guide to play game :p

Yeah, but I think in this day and age, we expect x360 controller to be fully integrated in a game. Everybody is doing it, why cant disney? Keyboard IS and will ALWAYS be the main controller for PC. It means that the games in which we see xbox 360 controller prompts when we connect the controller are BS and should have keyboard prompts..... WHAT?????? lol

I have a 4870 1 GB, which I think is a decent card and should run a game like this way better than it is right now. The game is not THAT graphic heavy. Dont tell me that I can run crysis with high settings at 1080P with 30 fps MINIMUM and I cant run this game above 30. I am not saying that the gfx are bad, all I am saying is that my card can run it at a much higher FPS than it is now. It becomes a real PITA when frames dip to 23 24, even 20 sometimes which takes away the fun, because the average FPS then is != 30. (MAX = 30, min = 20, avg.= WHAT? you do the math). And yes it feels laggy at 30. My opinion, my eyes.

And, yes I will keep my eyes peeled and fingers crossed for that ending video. I played the game this morning and when I was in episode 2, there was some prompt for shortcut powerplay (which I was not aware of at that time coz it was not in the tutorial). Eventually I got it, but took me the second race to realize that that prompt was for a shortcut. Its small things like these that take away the fun and makes a gamer irritated. Anyways, yes I do find the game interesting to play. Good game, good explosions, good grafix, but with poor execution.

PS: The things said above are my and only MY opinion. My company or my keyboard cannot be held responsible if it hurts somebody's sentiments.

@atiamd - You really gotta be joking . What better execution do you want ? Its got the style , the formula and its has the TASHAN . The explosions are a treat to watch , the crashes are mind blowing. Those who can't play the game and win it , say that the game is bad and all crap . You don't at all feel the lag in explosions but yes had it been not locked @ 30 fps then this would have got a sure shot thumbs up from almost everyone

Hey anubis, dude you got 8 GB RAM. Do you use it for any development kinda thing? Can you tell me what you do with all that RAM? I use VMWARe most of the time, so am asking this.

atiamd said:
PS: The things said above are my and only MY opinion. My company or my keyboard cannot be held responsible if it hurts somebody's sentiments.

lol I liked this line :p well I love Split Second ;)

Played it for 3 hours straight. Tried quick race, went online & played multiple split screen matches with my brother. This game is awesome. The 30fps cap isn't hurting much either. I have set it to High and @1920x1080 and it doesn't drop at all, LITERALLY!

I got screwed online as my car was a POS and the other racers had way higher level vehicles. But it was totally fun and that's an achievement, considering the last game I had so much fun as in Burnout Revenge.

atiamd said:

Me likey.. :eek:hyeah:

atiamd said:
Hey anubis, dude you got 8 GB RAM. Do you use it for any development kinda thing? Can you tell me what you do with all that RAM? I use VMWARe most of the time, so am asking this.

A VMWare person on the forum :)
Roxtin said:

:)

Me gonna try this game... when I get time that is :ashamed:

xbox360 controller integration is bit of an issue with this game - as its a racing game, disney /blackrock studio can't make excuse about - they should release patch to fix. Also about the shortcut powerplay - I also missed in one of the race in Ep1. Any help ? how to do it

satyanjoy said:
xbox360 controller integration is bit of an issue with this game - as its a racing game, disney /blackrock studio can't make excuse about - they should release patch to fix. Also about the shortcut powerplay - I also missed in one of the race in Ep1. Any help ? how to do it
Hope they release a patch but really i don't think that devs would release a patch just for showing the X360 buttons as it would require coding for all available controllers as each has a different button set :p

Also about the shortcut it would appear as a blue upwards arrow near the shortcut if you have powerbar full.

Roxtin said:
Hope they release a patch but really i don't think that devs would release a patch just for showing the X360 buttons as it would require coding for all available controllers as each has a different button set :p

Also about the shortcut it would appear as a blue upwards arrow near the shortcut if you have powerbar full.
once player get hang of the controls it will not matter a lot..BTW which button to press to activate this powerplay, yeah I saw blue upwards and and slam bang in the wall.

I don't understand why it would be so difficult to play without knowing the button assignments to the 360 controller? It's mapped properly to the controller and plays well too.

Roxtin said:
'A' for Powerplay and Shortcut and 'B' for Heavy Powerplay and Route changers on X360 controller

thanks dude..

Ethan_Hunt said:
I don't understand why it would be so difficult to play without knowing the button assignments to the 360 controller? It's mapped properly to the controller and plays well too.

it's not a show stopper kind of problem,,it just bit downer considering arcade racing is a pick n play kind of game where player generally don't want to hassle with settings or manual.

satyanjoy said:
it's not a show stopper kind of problem,,it just bit downer considering arcade racing is a pick n play kind of game where player generally don't want to hassle with settings or manual.

Exactly. Besides, it's an arcade racing title, how many buttons will you have to use for it?

LT and RT are pretty standard for Braking and Accelerating (respectively). The right analog stick allows you to check the rear view. Also Roxtin already gave out the remaining key layout. I don't think anything else is needed within the game.

Back