Starcraft II - Discussion Thread

Re: Starcraft 2 India Release?

Hey guyz I preordered from nextworld.in but now I came to know its the european version so I am planning to cancel my preorder. Can I know from where can I order the south east asian version online using paypal or anywhere in India?

@ HyperKnight & spindoctor - Thanks! Yeah, the sea version makes more sense.

Btw, what i cannot figure out is why is the SEA version more expensive? I thot avg income in asia was poorer or has it changed recently ??

Create an account in Battle.net and buy the game digitally. For region 'India' the version is changed to SEA, or you can change it manually. But the price is even higher than nextworld, it's about Rs 3700...

Alias said:
@ HyperKnight & spindoctor - Thanks! Yeah, the sea version makes more sense.

Btw, what i cannot figure out is why is the SEA version more expensive? I thot avg income in asia was poorer or has it changed recently ??

i can speculate why it's higher... the sea region includes oceania. which means all countries that fall into the region will get the same price. my understanding is that games in australia cost 80-90$ or so... and since australia is a part of our region, they picked the highest possible price and put that as the price for the entire region. that is why everyone has to pay the price that the australians would have to pay. in short, activision got greedy.

Also, also I believe its higher priced because in a little while, SEA players will be allowed to play on the US servers also. The US and European players wont be getting the same benefit.

Hot Starcraft II is Frying Graphics Cards - Blizzard Issues Temporary Fix

There were a number of minor bugs, but nothing show stopping at first. Then the reports of melting GPUs hit.

Blizzard has issued a response on its support site, acknowledging that it was aware of the issue, and offering a quick fix. The company writes:

Certain screens make your hardware work pretty hard

Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt file and add these lines:

frameratecapglue=30

frameratecap=60

You may replace these numbers if you want to.

For eager customers who already lost a graphics card, though, that fix may prove too late. Blizzard has not announced any plans to replace the lost hardware of victims who experienced the bug.

Full story here -

DailyTech - Hot Starcraft II is Frying Graphics Cards, Blizzard Issues Temporary Fix

Re: Hot Starcraft II is Frying Graphics Cards - Blizzard Issues Temporary Fix

Wow...is this the first time that a game has fried GPU's en mass?

Huh not using vsync fries the vcard? Wth...

I have seen fraps show like > 1500 fps in certain loading screens of different games. I always thought it was easier to render, not definitely a massive strain on the GPU like this incident.

Is this for the beta or for the retail game. because you mentioned "A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt file and add these lines"

Pretty scary nonetheless.

I dont understand how it fries video card, the flaw will result in a 100% utilization of the graphic card for game duration, aren't there any other games which dont require 100% utilization?

Surely the clock speeds are not getting affected here, nor is your fan profile...

i will monitor my GPU's temperature from now on, already spent more than 10 hours of continuous gaming on my rig..till now ALL IS WELL...

Why is that all problems are reported after i completed the game :S

Is these game more stress inducing than Furmark..?

No, its a issue where they have not put any cap on graphics utilization. A cap of 300 fps should have been sufficient. Although its confusing how drawing scenes with less detail fries the GPU. Weird, but scary. I think all should hard code the fps cap as given.

And yes, it is for the full version, so you have to look for Starcraft folder in Documents..

I dont understand how a game can fry a card. shouldnt it be attributed to bad hardware? like glitchy cooling or something of that sort? its kinda wierd.

:OWOW! never imagined a game literally frying a gpu. I hope i don't regret getting it.

Surely the clock speeds are not getting affected here, nor is your fan profile..

Fan throttles based on your temperature afaik. But it'll only spin to a certain level. Heat shit up beyond that threshold and you could have trouble. Besides, I think this is being blown out of proportion..peeps played q3 at 300ish fps half a decade back, didn't lead to any gpu's melting.

^ Try playing Titan Quest on a modern GPU without v-sync, it will raise your GPU temperatures atleast 15C over what other games heat it to.

Vinny said:
Huh not using vsync fries the vcard? Wth...

I have seen fraps show like > 1500 fps in certain loading screens of different games. I always thought it was easier to render, not definitely a massive strain on the GPU like this incident.
Aces170 said:
I dont understand how it fries video card, the flaw will result in a 100% utilization of the graphic card for game duration, aren't there any other games which dont require 100% utilization?

Surely the clock speeds are not getting affected here, nor is your fan profile...
asingh said:
Is these game more stress inducing than Furmark..?
hyperknight said:
I dont understand how a game can fry a card. shouldnt it be attributed to bad hardware? like glitchy cooling or something of that sort? its kinda wierd.
It's not a case of the game being too demanding or the hardware being glitchy. It's the game's fault for trying to draw an unrealistic number of frames per second.
And the reason that scenes with less detail actually aggravate the issue is because those scenes are less strenuous on your GPU resulting in the unhindered drawing of those high frames per second.

Even a simple 3D cube can fry your GPU if you let it render at 1000fps.

Back