State owned BSNL's 'competitive' broadband plans across India

Check this out http://www.bsnlteleservices.com/2015/04/bsnl-fibernet-unlimited-broadband-plans.html?m=1
But anyone i contacted had no idea about it plus they said no fiber cables in my area.

I'm on their ftth fiber plans in Bangalore. 1350 + tax. 40mpbs <= 75GB. After that it'll drop to 512kbps. Pretty good so far! The only actual server that lets me download at full speed is google (downloading android images that are in the order of 900ish mb takes close to 6~7 mins)

When I initially approached the BSNL guys, they said that these plans are mostly meant for upcoming apartment areas where in they lay the OFC underground. After speaking to the DGM, I happened to get a separate line drawn directly from the exchange - which is less than half a kilometer away.

@blueren I was looking at changing my bsnl plan on the BSNL Self Care portal. I got option to change to FTTH BB Plan. There is one plan FTTH BB - BBG ULD 845 CS50. Google says this plan is for Karnataka. And in case i can get these FTTH plans do i have to get a different modem? I currently use a Asus DSL N10E.

@blueren I was looking at changing my bsnl plan on the BSNL Self Care portal. I got option to change to FTTH BB Plan. There is one plan FTTH BB - BBG ULD 845 CS50. Google says this plan is for Karnataka. And in case i can get these FTTH plans do i have to get a different modem? I currently use a Asus DSL N10E.

You might wanna consult your local area exchange before migrating. They basically draw a new (fiber) line for it. And yes, given that you get a fiber cable, you need a modem that takes in the fiber input and converts it to an Ethernet output. The one supplied by bsnl *should* suffice. It comes with a backup battery.

Will that mean they will remove the telephone?

No. These are two different things. You'll retain your telephone+bb. FTTH gets you another line of internet+telephone. I've personally disabled BB on the old telephone line because I want to retain my residence number as it is, and have disabled voice connection over FTTH. You could do the same

BSNL FTTH is so special. It's more about Security deposit than providing proper Fiber connection. Ping to local servers is as high as 60ms (Ideally should be 1ms to 4ms).

Xufqsux.jpg

HhlOdLr.jpg

PS: Friends Connection.

BSNL FTTH is so special. It's more about Security deposit than providing proper Fiber connection. Ping to local servers is as high as 60ms (Ideally should be 1ms to 4ms).

PS: Friends Connection.
Isn't that the first month bill? I get a constant 1.7k inclusive of surcharges and stuff for 75GB@40Mbps

Isn't that the first month bill? I get a constant 1.7k inclusive of surcharges and stuff for 75GB@40Mbps
Yep. First month bill.
Typical Sarkari ISP gave a minor heart attack to my friend who was mindf***kd who couldn't understand the bill at first and referred this is to me.

BTW, How are your ping times.

Yep. First month bill.
Typical Sarkari ISP gave a minor heart attack to my friend who was mindf***kd who couldn't understand the bill at first and referred this is to me.

BTW, How are your ping times.

The thing is, when your test the speed, it's best you try hit Bsnl servers. Most others simply don't have the uplink bandwidth to take on 40mbps. Downloading from most sites are not at what speeds you expect them to be, same reason as above. Except for Google servers though. I am able to download android images typically close to 1gb at full speed in under 7 mins!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-22-22-49-09.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-22-22-49-09.png
    738.9 KB · Views: 308
The thing is, when your test the speed, it's best you try hit Bsnl servers. Most others simply don't have the uplink bandwidth to take on 40mbps. Downloading from most sites are not at what speeds you expect them to be, same reason as above. Except for Google servers though. I am able to download android images typically close to 1gb at full speed in under 7 mins!
Wrong! I have an ACT 100mbps connection and most websites give me 8-10MB/s all the time without even using a downloader. All servers on speedtest.net give 90-100mbps - even ones not located in India.

If you are not getting the speeds promised, then BSNL's network is clogged.

Wrong! I have an ACT 100mbps connection and most websites give me 8-10MB/s all the time without even using a downloader. All servers on speedtest.net give 90-100mbps - even ones not located in India.

If you are not getting the speeds promised, then BSNL's network is clogged.

Interesting. Thanks for the info! I'll go looking for more details regarding this network clogging. Direct downloading via torrents does give me the promised speeds though.

Collected info about the local head office and went to meet the SDO after speaking to him over the phone.
Wrote down on a piece of paper the BSNL Hyd plans, Jio Infocomm's tentative plans, and ofc ACT's plans as well.

I have spoken to the SDO a few times over the phone, and he has always been very polite. When i landed up at his office, he courteously asked me to take a seat and i started carefully with the convo. First up mentioned about me being a long standing consumer of Dataone services, then about the plans and how BSNL being a state owned company is not being fair and just in doling out them statewise. He asked his clueless junior officers if there was any plan like the one i showed him from BSNL Hyd's site. Ofc there wasn't.

All of a sudden he says that 'Sahab aaye hue hain', let us go and speak to him. I was like, ok.. maybe some grumpy head of this SDO is downstairs for some meeting/round up and maybe i ll have the sarkaari reply along with chai biskoot of his.

Thankfully, this was no grumpy fellow. I again narrated the background and told him that i am not one bit a fan of Failtel. As soon as i mentioned about Hyd Plans, he was like these plans will not be available here. The reason he gave was that the infrastructure there is better. Naturally i was to ask about why the infra here is underdeveloped.. But he noticed the term VDSL and started harping on that, barely giving me any chance to speak. He further mentioned that TRAI has sanctioned plans for particular areas and hence the current status (read disparity)
All of a sudden he comes up with the line that he is leaving for an urgent meeting, and that i should give him my details and he ll call me up later with proper details. Reluctantly, i complied.

Today i received a call from him, and i was surprised. He introduced himself and proceeded onwards with my query from the previous day.

His reason for Hyd Plans was perplexing this time. He said that Hyd has 'spl status' and hence those plans.
I asked about the reason for this unfair treatment of other regions and he ducked the query. Thankfully (and touchwood) he agreed to take the matter up with his superiors, further adding that every (BSNL) official would like to see better sales in his region.
Lastly, he added that i should write about this concern of mine to the BSNL CMD and it would be taken up.

I dont know whether i should be hopeful or not, but BSNL guy calling back and agreeing to take things up was something encouraging. Combine this with the fact that there is this earlier instance when people bombarded BSNL official's mailbox to get upload speed increased makes up for some feel good factor.

Google threw up the result for BSNL CMD as Mr Anupam Shrivastav and this seems to be his twitter id.
Unfortunately, the same guy gave the statement of "We have increased the internet speed four times ...we have ensured 2 Mbps is available at last mile, which is the customer premises."

Owing to the sly use of words there, i am not too excited to even think what his reaction will be if people were to ask him about increasing speeds realistically or offer better plans pan India just like what they are doing in Hyderabad. :confused::rolleyes:

Thoughts?

The BSNL guy reply is standard as expected. Since you are whining about Special Hyderabad BSNL plans. Here's what happened.

I am using Beam from 2008 then they had just 20k customers then.
Beam telecom like any provider started off offering 780kbps for 600 and 1mbps for 850 (This is in 2010) then BSNL used to have the famous 512kbps 750 plan which majority of them were using.
There wasn't much of a difference since BSNL offered no downtimes and people were happy with it. The real problem started when Beam started offering plans up to 6mbps (2500/mo pure unlimited). Beam started gaining customers were allegedly were bribing BSNL (came to know from an accountant of an exchange) top brass not to increase plans and this continued even after Beam introduced 10,20mbps plans.

After having noticed nearly 50k broadband customers loss, BSNL AP started offering so called high speed with meagre FUP's which you guys have in rest of the areas now. Lastly in 2013, After losing good amount of share to beam these idiots started offering similar plans on VDSL. That's namesake. Exchanges had no idea about such VDSL plans. Till this moment BSNL officials were under Beam's payroll.

After losing out completely, they started offering Satisfactory plans till then Beam easily gained 2.5Lakh customers.
From then they responded to the competition and have increased their share bit by bit.

BSNL won't do anything unless and until there is competition, This has been practically proved in Bangalore, Chennai because of ACT and few Gujarat cities because of GPTL.

Back