Steam is moving to rupees from 3rd Nov

true, priacy is massive there. plus they have a very large and dominant cafe culture which means most people dont invest in games and hardware themselves which while reaches more people, limits total sales

Dear Steam User,

Steam will soon be priced in Indian Rupee!

If your Steam wallet has any money in it on November 3rd, 2015, your U.S. Dollar balance will be converted to Rupee, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion.

To view your account balance, simply log into your Steam client or the Steam website at http://www.steampowered.com. Once you have logged in, you will see your balance in the upper-right corner next to your account name.

Thanks,

The Steam Support Team

http://support.steampowered.com

yeah, got my email today. people have been posting thode since yesterday. lets see what the conversions for prices are like. dont really care about the 3 $ in my wallet :p

I am thinking if I should sell some stuff and get some wallet just in case the prices are low and some games are not region locked.

On the positive side, I think this INR conversion would enable a lot more people to buy DLC's for games, as a lot of people still prefer phsyical due to alrge downloads but dont want to purchase DLC in $$ prices. so INR might help.

The prices depend on the publishers, not steam. What I guess can happen is that for games which are already sold at localized prices, we can see the same reflect on steam as well. For instance, Mad Max was $59.99 on steam, but the physical copy in India was Rs 999. So we can expect the Rs 999 price on steam as well as the publisher will provide the same. Same for MGS V or Witcher 3.

Some publishers may not go with localized prices in which case they may just submit the US prices or even worse the UK prices converted to INR.
Personally, locking out games that does not have a regional pricing may be bad for consumers. There may be a lot of games for which publishers they not bother to provide regional pricing.

If I can get a game for Rs 1000 from steam and flipkart, I will go with steam every time, beats waiting for shipping and delivery. Let's see.

I can guarantee you it's bigger than the Indonesian/Philippines market. If they can have regional prices for all games, so should we. But yeah, fingers crossed.

Some stats about Indian users of steam

http://steamspy.com/country/IN

Share of total users: 0.45%
Share of total games: 0.14%
Owned games per user: 6.98
Average playtime (2 weeks): 28:08
Average playtime (total): 656:57
Active users (2 weeks): 26%
Active users (total): 72%

Total share of total users and share of total games is less than even other smaller countries.
Compared to India, Indonesia has roughly 3 times as many users and Philippines has 5 times as many users. Heck our share is just a wee bit than Afghanistan and just about same as Pakistan.

Lol, I stand corrected. I wonder if the pervasive culture of PC bangs ha something to do with the user numbers. Need to spread the religion of Gaben more!

Some stats about Indian users of steam

http://steamspy.com/country/IN

Total share of total users and share of total games is less than even other smaller countries.
Compared to India, Indonesia has roughly 3 times as many users and Philippines has 5 times as many users. Heck our share is just a wee bit than Afghanistan and just about same as Pakistan.

One of the main reasons will be the inability to buy games on Steam for most people. There's only about 22-23 lakh credit cards issued in India. The pool of users who could transact if they wanted to will increase when debit cards start getting accepted.

I know international debit cards exist but very few people have those.

To be fair, 93% of the Pinoy users only play Dota 2. Number of games owned by Indians are more. But yeah, I expected much bigger numbers.

I'm just waiting for Indian prices on Fallout 4 and The Division! It always sucked paying 60$ on Steam for a game that cost about half on Flipkart.[DOUBLEPOST=1446580436][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone seeing games in rupees yet?

Last edited:
So finally shift to rupee has happened. Most games are priced reasonably or equal to retail. Some games don't have purchase option anymore like MGS and some games also like COD still have dollars.Fallout 4 is priced 4299.

So finally shift to rupee has happened. Most games are priced reasonably or equal to retail. Some games don't have purchase option anymore like MGS and some games also like COD still have dollars.Fallout 4 is priced 4299.
Fallout 4 was cheaper when in dollars :/

Back