Sugar/Artificial Sugar

This video explains about various forms of sugar and also explains why those foods with jaggery etc. are not good as compared to products with simple sugar. The guy also mentions about the sugar in fruits and how those needs to be avoided. Does that mean that all fruits are bad or are there certain fruits which one needs to avoid i.e. if some fruits have more sugar than the others?

Also anything that you guys can recommend which doesn't have any sugar like a snack or something? It shouldn't have any maida and palm oil too.

@nRiTeCh @rootyme @guest_999 @ibose @altair21

Last edited:
Post your current typical day diet along with measurements of the ingredients in grams. From that you can find out if your diet is balanced or has deficiencies.

All this effort put into this sugar vs that sugar, brown rice vs white rice, wheat vs oat, is a complete waste of time unless you are some sort of a pro athlete.

"sugar is sugar" is such a reductionist take. Sugar can be bad for you, but just like he said at the beginning of video, the dosage matters! However when it comes to natural sugars he conveniently forgets this part. What more do you need to know from this guy lol!

The first thing one would need to do, is be aware of what/when/how much they are eating, and mainly what is their mental stage i.e. whether they are tired, sad, anxious, happy, neutral, etc.

After just this, one can easily figure out what makes them hungry. For most it is time of day + how much physical activity was performed, however if anything else is influcing this, its a good starting point for investigation.

Also, if you want a zero calorie snack you can try sucking on your fingers :p of course make sure to thoroughly wash your fingers, air dry then season the surface as per your preference /s

Some opinions...
Jaggery is more chemically complex than sugar, and it consists of longer chains of sucrose. It takes longer to digest and does not release energy as quickly as refined sugar.
Good quality jaggery contains around 70% sucrose. By contrast, white sugar contains 99.7% sucrose.
Jaggery contains some additional vitamins and minerals.
Etc., etc.

Erythritol allegedly can increase your risk of heart attack and stroke, can cause mild to severe digestive issues if you consume large amounts of it. That includes bloating, cramping, excess gas, and diarrhea.

People create loud opinions just to generate attraction. Social media sometimes give reckless opinions, so take it with adequate caution and analysis.

Another interesting thread:

The guy also mentions about the sugar in fruits and how those needs to be avoided. Does that mean that all fruits are bad or are there certain fruits which one needs to avoid i.e. if some fruits have more sugar than the others?
Basically, every carbohydrate you eat gets converted into sugar only & carbohydrates are the ones that provide majority of your daily energy requirement. Processed sugar is bad but body does need sugar too in appropriate quantity.

Take a look at this article which has some interesting points:

The body may need sugar but it doesn't have to a part of your diet. Carbs/sugar are not essential nutrients.
?? It is taught in 8th/9th class biology that food consists of 4 main nutrition categories: Carbohydrates for primary/immediate energy requirements, fats for storing reserves of energy & transporting vitamins & minerals, proteins for repairing/building tissues/organs & vitamins minerals for smooth functioning of certain critical body functions.

I'm not qualified to give you an answer on this, I'm the farthest thing from a nutritionist and as claimed by some members here, I'm a boomer who believes in ayurveda. And personally, I'll happily call bullshit on anyone who claims processed shit is better than natural. I have seen how exactly food is made in manufacturing plants (we are in the FMCG manufacturing business) and once you see that, you cant unsee it, trust me you'll think twice before eating even a Lay's.

?? It is taught in 8th/9th class biology that food consists of 4 main nutrition categories: Carbohydrates for primary/immediate energy requirements, fats for storing reserves of energy & transporting vitamins & minerals, proteins for repairing/building tissues/organs & vitamins minerals for smooth functioning of certain critical body functions.
Depends on the definition of "essential" . Do most people die within months or a year after stopping or drastically reducing carbohydrates intake? Absolutely not. Do they develop serious diagnosable diseases in such a time period ? Largely not, though we don't have enough data.

Alaskan Inuits traditionally and many even now don't eat any significant carbohydrates for their entire lives. They are "fine" - their heart disease rate is roughly equal to national average, but obesity rates are much lower.

Do inuits have a special gene for this? Maybe, but many other people have reduced their carb intake drastically, to almost zero for at least a few years, and they are also "fine" - as in they may have small problems but not huge, and we don't have enough data to show the certainty of developing any small problems. It has been recommended for certain cases of epilepsy, and then people also do it as a fad diet called "keto".

Depends on the definition of "essential" . Do most people die within months or a year after stopping or drastically reducing carbohydrates intake? Absolutely not. Do they develop serious diagnosable diseases in such a time period ? Largely not, though we don't have enough data.

Alaskan Inuits
traditionally and many even now don't eat any significant carbohydrates for their entire lives. They are "fine" - their heart disease rate is roughly equal to national average, but obesity rates are much lower.

Do inuits have a special gene for this? Maybe, but many other people have reduced their carb intake drastically, to almost zero for at least a few years, and they are also "fine" - as in they may have small problems but not huge, and we don't have enough data to show the certainty of developing any small problems. It has been recommended for certain cases of epilepsy, and then people also do it as a fad diet called "keto".

Traditional Inuit diets derive approximately 50% of their calories from fat, 30–35% from protein and 15–20% of their calories from carbohydrates, largely in the form of glycogen from the raw meat they consumed.
However, actual evidence has shown that Inuit have a similar prevalence of coronary artery disease as non-Inuit populations and they have excessive mortality due to cerebrovascular strokes, with twice the risk to that of the North American population.[27][28] Indeed, the cardiovascular risk of this diet is so severe that the addition of a more standard American diet has reduced the incidence of mortality in the Inuit population.[29] Furthermore, fish oil supplement studies have failed to support claims of preventing heart attacks or strokes.

1717575439425.png

I suggest to stick to known verified facts. All this "no carb", "only protein" etc diets are not balanced diet & shouldn't be taken without a medical professional (or better more than one) consultation.

P.S. Just curious, are you following almost no carb diet for years with no issues & are just "fine". If not then why preach what you don't follow yourself & if yes then one person following something & not getting sick/just fine is worthless data in field of medical science.

Was this a question for me? Can you specify where I did anything resembling "preach" ?
I just meant that ppl should give advice they themselves are following (like some here said they believe in ayurveda but later admit themselves they also take modern medicine for anything serious) so if someone is suggesting no carbs then either they are themselves following the same diet with no issue in which case their experience can't be generalized (& should be mentioned by the poster aka follow at your own risk) or they are not following the same diet in which case their suggestion has no moral basis.

Last edited:
I just meant that ppl should give advice they themselves are following (like some here said they believe in ayurveda but later admit themselves they also take modern medicine for anything serious) so if someone is suggesting no carbs then either they are themselves following the same diet with no issue in which case their experience can't be generalized (& should be mentioned by the poster aka follow at your own risk) or they are not following the same diet in which case their suggestion has no moral basis.
But you didn't answer my questions. Was the question for me? If yes, when did I do anything resembling "advice" (I'll follow your lead in changing the word from preach to advice).

Or even "suggest".

But you didn't answer my questions. Was the question for me? If yes, when did I do anything resembling "advice" (I'll follow your lead in changing the word from preach to advice).

Or even "suggest".
It was just a general query/response to others too because your post came across as "promoting no carb diet" ( "Do inuits have a special gene for this? Maybe, but many other people have reduced their carb intake drastically, to almost zero for at least a few years, and they are also "fine" ") & as for the word "preach" that was just the usage of that proverb "preach what you follow" so I used it as such, no special meaning behind that.

It was just a general query/response to others too because your post came across as "promoting no carb diet" ( "Do inuits have a special gene for this? Maybe, but many other people have reduced their carb intake drastically, to almost zero for at least a few years, and they are also "fine" ") & as for the word "preach" that was just the usage of that proverb "preach what you follow" so I used it as such, no special meaning behind that.
Ok, no I was neither preaching, promoting, suggesting or advising it. Proof:

1. Nobody would want to be "fine" in scare quotes. People would want to be really fine, without quotes. So the scare quotes are a way to say this "fine" is a very limited one. Reasons ahead.

2. I myself said there is no data of it causes other issues, and for what it does not cause, I just said it does not cause "diagnosable" issues. Further caveats ahead.

3. I said it does not cause death for a few months to a year. I've not met a person who wants to be alive for a just a year and then he doesn't care what happens. I also said "similar periods" for low carb diet to not cause other issues - so time periods around a year.

4. If I were recommending it, why would I call it a "fad diet" ?

should be mentioned by the poster aka follow at your own risk
Absolutely not. This is crazy . I refuse to give warnings against people interpreting my words incorrectly. Reading is a useful skill.

Edit : in summary, I showed that for certain definitions of "essential", carbohydrates are not essential.

Last edited:
Even if they are following it themselves, it is not a fact. It's anecdotal evidence. Every body is different. So, we should figure out for ourselves, what suits us best. A nutritionist and a doctor friend will definitely help. I personally do not follow internet trends for diets.

Carbohydrate is an essential macronutrient, as the brain needs it. The body can convert fat and protein to glucose/glycogen, but that is inefficient. Ketones can also be used in distress, but they make our body/blood acidic. So, yes glucose/carbs are essential. For the brain. And the rest of our body as well.

Quoting from the NCBI here:
Edit : in summary, I showed that for certain definitions of "essential", carbohydrates are not essential.

This part is more wrong than the second sentence. Fat is just as good a source of energy (or maybe even better).
Fat is a good source of energy for the rest of the body, but not for the brain.
Also, a high fat and high protein no carb diet can lead to other problems, including cardiovascular problems.

This part is more wrong than the second sentence. Fat is just as good a source of energy (or maybe even better).
Read the basic biology books/wiki & any balanced diet recommendations from major medical & educational institutions. Or something simpler to understand, you know what is used in the drip to severely dehydrated patients in hospitals, glucose drip not liquid fat drip. Fat is the slowest energy source in the human body & the reason why it is used as energy reserve.

Back