Suggest 3.5mm to usb converter for PC

He's not using Apple anything.
The Apple 3.5mm dongle is device agnostic. Check more info on this thread:

The Apple 3.5mm dongle is device agnostic. Check more info on this thread:
That's a type C to 3.5mm. I'm assuming OP wants a type A

If he has usb c ports to spare then this could work.

Last edited:
That's a type C to 3.5mm. I'm assuming OP wants a type A

If he has usb c ports to spare then this could work.
Bro I already asked to get a type C to a convertor in the original post where I asked to get the apple dongle. Please read before posting. The mic and in-line buttons/remote also work with it.

Headphone etc. all stuff is 2-3yr old no box whatsoever.
Then you will need a multimeter to test which kind of headset yours is.

Once you know then you can chose the right adapter.
Bro I already asked to get a type C to a convertor in the original post where I asked to get the apple dongle. Please read before posting. The mic and in-line buttons/remote also work with it.
If you want to know why your apple dongle

doesn't really work that well with Androids, or at least on a Xiaomi Mi A1, Samsung S8+, Poco X3. Volume is really low and I don't think the dongle's DAC is being utilised since there's no difference in SQ for Android phones.

Watch this

The Chinese phones did not surprise me but I would have thought the sammy would have worked. You have to enable USb power on the sammy for it to work or you did back in those days.

I have the tempotec sonata and it works with my s20E but its too expensive to recommend here. It comes with a USB A to 3.5mm

Last edited:
He can get a cheap USB-C to A adaptor for 100-200 bucks.

Apple Type C to 3.5mm DAC is good for its price but it feels so delicate and fragile.
Not all adapters are equal. Most cheap ones can only transmit power, some data, few audio signals. The Type C DAC will not work with just any USB-A adapter. It makes sense to only get a USB-A DAC.

In the past also had issues with DACs that supported only OMTP controls while Sennheiser always supported CTIA, which generally meant microphones don't work along with the skip controls.

Most cheap ones can only transmit power, some data, few audio signals.
Are we talking about transmitting analogue audio signals over Universal Serial Bus Type A? :p

There are plenty Male USB-A to Female USB-C intended for only charging but it says so in the product description, something like "only charging, no data". We need one that supports data, which is also plenty common. That's it.

Considering it doesn't transfer video signals and only USB 2.0 speed data, it will not support audio.
I'm sorry I'm not getting it.

Are you saying that it can transfer data at USB2.0 speeds but it can't transfer digital audio data? I don't think that is true.

I'm only insisting on Apple 3.5mm to USB C because it supports both the standards (OMTP and CTIA) and microphone works with any type of headset. OP doesn't know his headset specifications so it seems the safest bet to me.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I'm not getting it. I might be missing something.

Are you saying that it can transfer data at USB2.0 speeds but it can't transfer audio data? I don't think that is true.

I'm only insisting on Apple 3.5mm to USB C because it supports both the standards (OMTP and CTIA) and microphone works with any type of headset. OP doesn't know his headset specifications so it seems the safest bet to me.
Simply put, the ideal adapter should map every USB-A signal to every Type-C signal, which a lot of adapters don't do because it adds to cost. USB 3.x data pin mapping itself costs more than USB 2.0, hence I think it might not be transmitting the audio signals as well.

Simply put, the ideal adapter should map every USB-A signal to every Type-C signal, which a lot of adapters don't do because it adds to cost. USB 3.x data pin mapping itself costs more than USB 2.0, hence I think it might not be transmitting the audio signals as well.
No, it doesn't work like that. We are talking about just pure data, the adapter doesn't know what type of data is being transmitted.

If I plug in a USB C pendrive in it, it will transfer data because it is pen drive data but what if I have an MP3 or MP4 file on the pen drive. Will it stop transferring saying that whoa dude I can not do audio or video.

I agree with your point that it is most likely USB2.0 because it you are not getting USB3.1 at ₹150. But it is still USB2.0, right? It will transfer data at USB2.0 speeds. A DAC doesn't need to transfer data at USB3.1 speeds. It wont even utilise 5% (just an approximate guess figure) of USB2.0 speed.

You might be confusing Video Over USB C. This might be helpful. USB C is just a physical connector, just a shape, it supports many different USB standards and protocols but they all are DIGITAL.

Simply put, the ideal adapter should map every USB-A signal to every Type-C signal,
USB-A supporting USB3 standard has 9 pins and USBC has 24. How can you expect any adapter to ideally map all the USB-C standard and protocols to USB-A. There is nothing like ideal USB-C to USB-A adapter.

USB-C can support Thunderbolt while USB-A is physically incapable of it.

USB-C has 4 pins for power and 4 for ground. It can transmit huge amount of power while USA-A has one (USB3 can do max 900mA at 5V, USB2 can do max 500mA at 5V). Simply put, USB-C can not be fully adapted into USB-A connector because USB-C is far too advanced.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't work like that. We are talking about just pure data, the adapter doesn't know what type of data is being transmitted.

If I plug in a USB C pendrive in it, it will transfer data because it is pen drive data but what if I have an MP3 or MP4 file on the pen drive. Will it stop transferring saying that whoa dude I can not do audio or video.

I agree with your point that it is most likely USB2.0 because it you are not getting USB3.1 at ₹150. But it is still USB2.0, right? It will transfer data at USB2.0 speeds. A DAC doesn't need to transfer data at USB3.1 speeds. It wont even utilise 5% (just an approximate guess figure) of USB2.0 speed.

You might be confusing Video Over USB C. This might be helpful. USB C is just a physical connector, just a shape, it supports many different USB standards and protocols but they all are DIGITAL.

USB-A supporting USB3 standard has 9 pins and USBC has 24. How can you expect any adapter to ideally map all the USB-C standard and protocols to USB-A. There is nothing like ideal USB-A to USB-C adapter.

USB-C can support Thunderbolt while USB-A is physically incapable of it.

USB-C has 4 pins for power and 4 for ground. It can transmit huge amount of power while USA-A has one (USB3 can do max 900mA at 5V, USB2 can do max 500mA at 5V). Simply put, USB-C can not be fully adapted into USB-A connector because USB-C is far too advanced.
If the digital audio signals are transmitted over USB 2.0 Data+ and Data- pins, then that should be enough for a Type-C DAC to work. I was referring to mapping USB-A to Type-C, so I am unsure why you think 9 pins cannot be mapped to 24. I was indeed thinking about alternate modes which most cheap adapters don't support.

People, are we not straying far from the query in hand? Allow me to stray it further.

Even USB 1 has enough bandwidth for audio. There are many interfaces which support and work with USB 1, albeit gimped to just 2 inputs and outputs. And yes, while a USB Type A to Type C can't unlock the full potential of USB C, for audio it doesn't need to. To answer OPs question, a simple USB soundcard can be bought for 300 bucks or so. However, caveat being they are incredibly cheaply made and more often than not, are sensitive to signals, leading to noisy output / input. And with the emphasis on microphone usage, is not recommended.

From your post I understand its just the front panel audio that's fuzzy? Would it be correct to assume that your motherboard audio ports in the back are functioning well? If yes, then you can use your existing 3.5 mm combiner with a 3.5mm TRRS extension cable - https://www.amazon.in/CABLESETC-Copper-Stereo-Extension-Connectors/dp/B01ABSSGUQ/

In fact, I'm using this very setup. I get good audio out from my KZ IEMs (They have surprisingly capable microphone) and for audio recordings I use my audio interface.

People, are we not straying far from the query in hand? Allow me to stray it further.

Even USB 1 has enough bandwidth for audio. There are many interfaces which support and work with USB 1, albeit gimped to just 2 inputs and outputs. And yes, while a USB Type A to Type C can't unlock the full potential of USB C, for audio it doesn't need to. To answer OPs question, a simple USB soundcard can be bought for 300 bucks or so. However, caveat being they are incredibly cheaply made and more often than not, are sensitive to signals, leading to noisy output / input. And with the emphasis on microphone usage, is not recommended.

From your post I understand its just the front panel audio that's fuzzy? Would it be correct to assume that your motherboard audio ports in the back are functioning well? If yes, then you can use your existing 3.5 mm combiner with a 3.5mm TRRS extension cable - https://www.amazon.in/CABLESETC-Copper-Stereo-Extension-Connectors/dp/B01ABSSGUQ/

In fact, I'm using this very setup. I get good audio out from my KZ IEMs (They have surprisingly capable microphone) and for audio recordings I use my audio interface.

He might be using speakers in that case he wont be able to.
His requirement is USB based

He might be using speakers in that case he wont be able to.
His requirement is USB based
Certainly a possibility. In which case it might be decent option to use USB A audio card for speakers instead, while using motherboard ports for headset use. I personally don't trust the USB A audio devices lol. I had them die on me multiple times. Was using it when my old computer's audio ports got busted.

mic not working is an issue with these usb converters
what @prime has posted should work. https://www.amazon.in/INICIO-External-Headphone-Microphone-Desktops/dp/B07W3D3P5W/Proided t
Provided the headset is CTIA

At this rate I think he should get it and try if it does not work then get an OMTP version

Either one or the other

It says soundcard so this adapter already has a DAC which is what you want when using a USB port.

But if the jacks are reversed then audio will work but not mic or the buttons.

Last edited:
Back