Suggest 32" LCD TV for around 35k

neoronin said:
PS: Bangalore power bills are too damn expensive.

congrats on ur purchase,
yep the power bills in bangalore are indeed expensive,its going to get worst.

to others plasma cannot be compared to a local dimming lcd,in terms of power consumption,as of todays i.e plasmas which are on the market still consume quite a lot more power compared to a lcd when showing the same content,plasma power consumption does decrease when its showing a black or blank screen ,but then again lcds will also dim or switch off the backlight when the screen is black or blank,even newer plasmas do that.

my friend also bought a panasonic PV8 plasma since he was getting it for the same price as a decent 32" from sony/samsung,he had a 25" crt tv before and is power bills has indeed increased.
on the other hand another friend of mine who had a 29" crt migrated to a 40" samsung LCD and is power bills as decreased.

power consumption is one area plasma are way behind,with the LCDs with edge/backlight becoming common .besides the LEDs power emitters are also getting more and more efficient (currently the LEDs used in tvs are about 90lumens/watt,newer LEDs are approching 130lumens/watt ,with prototypes of 160lumens/watt).

mayanksahni said:
So guys tell me, what should i buy for 35k finally??????? I'm damn confused.

Final Choice should be between Samsung and Philips
In showroom observe picuture quailty and colour and also design of tv.
and also keep in mind for after sales service,in your area
Philips tv also has very good specs,
Enquire does it have PIP function and will wall mount be given as free any festive offers running over philips?

prasanth11 said:
Final Choice should be between Samsung and Philips
In showroom observe picuture quailty and colour and also design of tv.
and also keep in mind for after sales service,in your area
Philips tv also has very good specs,
Enquire does it have PIP function and will wall mount be given as free any festive offers running over philips?

Wall mounting and installation is always free for Philips. Since Makara Sankranthi is not as big as elsewhere as it is in Tamilnadu, there won't be any festive offers I guess. I tried to get something free, but no luck.

neoronin said:
Wall mounting and installation is always free for Philips. Since Makara Sankranthi is not as big as elsewhere as it is in Tamilnadu, there won't be any festive offers I guess. I tried to get something free, but no luck.

makara sankranthi is big festival all over south india,
i'm from andhra pradesh
write your experience with your new tv,it'll help other

godsp33d said:
@neoronin
Im planning to get the philips LCD in a day or two.
wanted to know feedback about the movie playback via USB.

USB Playback Formats: MP3, JPEG Still pictures, MPEG1,
MPEG4, RealMedia Video. picture quality from usb playback is very good.
It can not play HD content through USB.

Few brief impressions on the Philips 32PFL 5609

Picture Quality

SD using regular cable - As bad as it can get. You can blame the signal and the source, but the TV was not able to do anything to improve the PQ.

SD using Airtel DTH - Very decent. With proper image calibration you can actually get a good image.

HD using VGA - My GC couldn't output FHD, so ended up watching in 720p. Enough to say the PQ is quite stunning in HD. Watched a ton of 720p rips and was impressed with contrast. Black was as good as a plasma [You have to a serious PRO to tell the difference]

USB Playback - All those 700MB "Ahem" rips, play very well. Subtitle support with .srt files is available [.sub is not supported and the file will not play] But .avi files more than 800 MB didn't play. MP3 & Photo playback was good enough.

SD Upscaled through HDMI - Have a Philips DVD player which upscaled regular DVD's [480p to 1080p] Image quality is very acceptable. Lot of noise in dark scenes though.

All the guys who replied on this thread and the OP, thanks a lot. I bought a Philips 5609 on Friday and man, am I happy. I compared the TV in Croma and Reliance Digital with tons of TVs. The only ones I found really good were the 5609, a Vierra model (can't recall the model no., although it was HD Ready only) and Sony V Series. Did not compared W or X series. The TV is awesome.

I completely agree with whatever neoronin has said in the previous post. To add to his reply:

1. SD quality with Airtel is quite watchable but about 20% channels are still lame but are mostly regional channels. Just so that anybody will know. Star Network channels are the best in SD quality on the TV.

2. HD content over DVI to HDMI has blown me over. Watched Ghajini and TDK till now and the movies look amazingly good on the TV. Just awesome.

I forgot to add the price. I bought the TV for 35k. But had to do a lot of bargaining with Croma guys. RD was selling it for 35.5k as the last price. I reside in Delhi.

And also, if anybody wants a HD Ready TV only, look at Philips 5409 model. It is exactly same like this model with all the same features.

^Im am buying the philips 5609 today for 34k from croma mulund :)

I bargained hard and told him that its available for that price outside.

@justin/neoronin
did u guys consider LG 32LG80FR?
It has the same features but better sound.

Philips and Samsung are costlier in Delhi than Mumbai. I don't know the reason but that's how it is. You should be able to buy at even less I think.

I checked both LG60 series and LG80 series. Although to be very honest, if you place them apart from other TVs, the difference will not be too much, placing them with other TVs just proves one thing. LG is the worst when it comes to LCDs. I saw 7 brands placed side by side with almost 2 models from the same brand. Out of those 14 (tentative) TVs, LG TVs were the worst. First was I think Sony (V Series) & Philips, Second Vierra & Samsung. Even Vue was better than LG!!

But the other part of the story is that LG models had the best sound.

Just to state that this is strictly a personal opinion as it might be of distaste to some people.

@ godsp33d if you are intent on picking up a LCD only for its capability to play movies off a USB stick, then LG is good VFM. But if you want that capability along with superior PQ for a good price and willing to accept a decent sound performance, go for Philips.

I never thought that I will give preference to a Philips branded LCD before I stepped into the showroom. But after stepping out decided that I will pick only this one.

But the price which justin got was expensive. In the end I paid only 32.5k and spent some 600 Rs to pick up couple of HDMI cables.

I went to Croma the other day to check on their LCD offering, they the same HD video running on Sony, Sammy, VU, Phillips and LG

I was blown away by the image clarity and the display quality of the Phillips 5609, of course you don't get any jazzy stuff like in LG jazz but personally i would prefer a good display over an inbuilt USB port to play movies although its a good feature which Phillips i guess can put it without straining much on their profit margin.

I would seriously suggest anybody planning to buy an LCD to go and personally check the image quality of the Phillips lcd next to other sets....

I bought philips 5609 from croma 15 days back for Rs.35300( with free gift of lg 50DVD pack, samsung mobile bag, croma wrist watch, and yera glass tumbler set). one day later I checked the price from philips authorized dealer, it was 32k (3.5K for so called free goodies from croma).
USB plays all sd movies, even size more than 1gb. PQ for usb video is good. Normal cable with maximum noise reduction setting looks very good. I went to croma to buy lg 32LH60YR because of 5.1 surround sound but after looking at PQ of all brands found the philips to be best(even better than sony v series). all lg lcd have red hue and plasticly colors. philips has one of the simplest and clean (rounded) design among all lcd.

Back