suggest a phone for Grandpa

crossbow

Mond Mond Ja Ja
Adept
Jul 20, 2009
Hyderabad/Surat
Once again knocking the doors of mobile experts' minds.

My grandpa requires a new phone.

- he's using nokia 1100 since last 5 years or so. He just uses his phone for make-receive calls. that's all.

- Now, Main requirement is Video Calling.

- So 3G and front camera is required.

- No Touch.

- Simple design (Main thing)

- And total Ease of use (It's for grandpa)

On top of my head design should be Like Nokia 6700 and similar models.

khanvis2009

Disciple
Mar 11, 2010
for senior citizens get a full touchscreen phone or at least a phone with a larger screen as they have difficulty in reading the keypad .. i gave my ma an iphone and she loves it .. the simplicity of an iphone makes it a good device for senior citizens . but since u want a front camera the here a r a few choices only in nokia cause the t9 in nokia is better and ui is simpler

x6, n86, n79 , n97 mini , c6, 5800

chose the n97 mini as its got a keypaad as well or the n79 .. the only problem in symbian phones is double tapping for everthing which mite confuse ur grandpa. if that woories u then n79 is the best pick .

samsung phones

monte , wave, corbypro, i7110, jet . omnia hd .. again i prefer corby pro because of the keypad

its a leap from the 1100 but he will eventually get used to i t

since u want to use videocalling as well then make sure the phone has a faster processor .

crossbow

Mond Mond Ja Ja
Adept
Jul 20, 2009
Hyderabad/Surat
TY khanvis2009, Yes the main thing is Big display and Large Numpad. And he is still not comfy with any other feature of the phone except make receive calls. So I am pretty sure touch-screen, slide will be a big no no.

On the other hand, faster processors and front cameras are mostly covered in Touch phones mostly. So it's going to be a hard find. BTW N79 looks like an ideal choice right now. Coz, it has neither touch nor slide or anything stylish. But It's quite older and slower model when I consider 3G devises.

EDIT

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3122&idPhone2=2497

Looks like I found it. Nokia C5.

- Pretty simple looks.

- Nice and huge Display and numpad

- 600MHz Proccy

- Front VGA cam.

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
Yup, the C5 is a good choice :) Also there are cheaper options too,

Samsung C5010 Squash Price in India: Features & Reviews: Modern Black Color: Samsung C5010 Price | Flipkart

Samsung C5010 Squash - Full phone specifications

Its just 3.5k but has 3G(384kbps) and front cam with 2" screen and 128*160 resoultions

Sony Ericsson J105i Naite Price in India: Features & Reviews: Ginger Red Color: Sony Ericsson J105i Price | Flipkart

Sony Ericsson J105 Naite - Full phone specifications

Else the SE naite. Has 3.6Mbps speed and 2" screen with QVGA resolution. Costs just ~5.9k

khanvis2009

Disciple
Mar 11, 2010
i am not sure how video calling would be like on a small screen .. that y i think a larger screen would be better .. but c5 is an excellent choice ,,, nokia still rocks in the "value for money" dept .