Suggest a VFM basic Nokia for Dad

raksrules

Elite
Need to purchase a VFM Nokia phone for my dad.

Main priorities

1. Very good voice clarity in voice calls - This is of upmost importance

2. Should be very easy to use and no-brainer UI

3. FM will be good addon but not necessary

4. No unnecessary features required.

5. Loud ringtone and good alarm

6. Nokia preferred due to simplistic UI

Phone will be used for 90% voice calls and only 10% SMS and that too only reading.

Please suggest what fits the bill for me ?

spirit said:
Well check for Samsung e2370. It's 2799/-. I have recently bought it and really impressed by it's built quality, no-nonsense features,speaker quality(really good) and flash light. THe biggest positive is it's rustic nature(dust,water(up to a certain level) resistant) and 2000mAH battery which is a big big plus. Will be a really good buy for parents.

Yes this one was forgotten

Its a very good phone for rough and tough use

I think it was previously named as Marine

But is a bit thick and feels like a cordless phone

+1 for 5030. Excellent VFM! Only -ve is that keys are really hard. SMS'ing therefore isn't too convenient. But since you mentioned your Dad doesn't SMS much, it should be perfect. Also, the battery back up is excellent!

The Samsung E2370 looks solid. It has everything almost. Camera, Bluetooth, USB Mass Storage, Expandable memory, Flashlight, MP3 ringtones support, FM Radio, Water proof, Mobile tracker, etc. And I am looking at the 2000mAh battery and getting tempted.

The Nokia 5030 is a good choice, except for the keypad, which is horrible. Actually horrible is an understatement. For a company which had mastered keypads, to come out with something that is seen on the 5030 and other sub-2K models, is very sad.

agantuk said:
The Nokia 5030 is a good choice, except for the keypad, which is horrible. Actually horrible is an understatement. For a company which had mastered keypads, to come out with something that is seen on the 5030 and other sub-2K models, is very sad.
it not that bad. the keypad isnt for a lot of texting but as the dad wont need to text this is perfect.
all his criteria are met in this phone.

DarkAngel said:
Samsung E1081? Its a decent phone and there is deal of week for Rs.1111 (Rs.1000 after 10% coupon or free 2GB pen drive)

My father bought one of those last week and it fits the OP's requirements perfectly. Simple and intutive UI, so even previous Nokia users would be comfortable with it.

i have hands on both nokia 1616(rs.1300 with bill) and 2690(rs.2670 with bill).for calls sms both have same capabilities.In 2690 FM reception is better.

1616 is good for basic use like calling smsing whereas 2690 offer camera(vga),bluetooth,mp3 player,gprs etc.

chiron said:
My father bought one of those last week and it fits the OP's requirements perfectly. Simple and intutive UI, so even previous Nokia users would be comfortable with it.
Exactly :) The low end Guru series are excellent VFM and have simplistic UI and clear display IMO.

Bumping my old thread. The current phone is not very comfortable for my dad. It is that Alcatel phone which many of us bought from ebay when its news came on TE. Dont remember the model number or anything.
I have decided on the Samsung E1160. Am i making a right choice. From the pics i see that phone is rugged, keypad comfortable, no clue about UI though. Can anyone link me to any user reviews / website reviews of this phone where things may have been mentioned in detail ??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And also let me know which will be the place where i can get it the cheapest ??

^^I know re. India plaza sucks and hence even if it is cheap dont want to buy from there.
Need to know whether we can add ringtones to the Samsung E1160 ??
Also heard that these lower end nokias have a voice leak problem.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Can anyone suggest me anything else ???
Refining the requirements a bit

1. Good display and UI (in terms of usage and understanding)
2. FM Radio is required (wireless will be better but not compulsary)
3. BRAND is no bar. Anything will do. Just that it should be VFM
4. Bigger Keys for easy accessibility and readability
5. Facility to add new ringtones since my dad prefers the Gayatri Mantra ringtone and alarm.
6. Voice clarity is necessary and no voice leaks

Back