Suggest an Inverter for Home use

Hi Fellas,

Need to buy an inverter for my hometown in Udaipur. We live in a flat on the top floor & this is the first time we will put an inverter. have not kept any budget in mind, but anywhere between 10K-20K should be fine if it is worth it. Below are my requirements -

1. There are total 4 bedrooms, 1 drawing room, 1 kitchen, 1 lobby, 4 bathrooms & 1 terrace.
2. Inverter should support at least the basics like - Tube light & Fan in Bedrooms, hall & lobby.
3. Bulb/LED light in Washrooms
4. Tube light on Terrace
5. Fridge in Kitchen
6. 55" LED with Onkyo Home theater in the lobby.

I am not sure how to calculate the total Watt & which one to buy. Some reviews say buy inverter & batteries form different companies.

p.s. - LED & Home theater is very important as i have lost 1 plasma already to light fluctuations (i believe) & i don't want to spend separately for stabilizer for LED etc. Hence looking for an Inverter which can play this role as well.

Thanks in advance.

I m not expert at suggesting inverter/batteries but one thing is for sure, it won't fit in 20k if want to cover all points mentioned. One suggestion would be skipping #5 if possible.

I am not sure how to calculate the total Watt & which one to buy.
You need to look at the back of each of your devices for the power consumption ... it's mentioned in watts. Add them up and you'll get an approximate figure.

You can keep the fridge as an optional or emergency load. You can manage to run it on inverter, if you keep rest of the load switched off. Inductive loads need a lot power during start-up. Your inverter needs to support minimum of three-times the power requirement of your fridge. And that's too much for your budget.

If you love your home entertainment system then keep it on a separate UPS, for that momentary blip. Although, high capacity inverters have an UPS option but it's an overkill for 24/7 usage.

Some reviews say buy inverter & batteries form different companies.
As long as your inverter is in warranty period, it's good to have the batteries from the same company. Helps in avoiding unnecessary trouble by service engineers. This doesn't matter post-warranty as you anyways have to shell out money for repairs.

Generally, inverters in the 2.5~3KVA range are built quite good. I have noticed that even the locally made inverters (and batteries) in this range are as good as the branded ones (Sukam, Luminous, Microtek etc). Local stuff has good after-sales support too.

Find out your load requirement and then look for brands/models.

Modern TV Sets do not usually require any Vok\ltage Stablizers etc. as those are SMPS[Switch Mode Power Supply] with Spike/Surge Protection and have a wide range of input voltage from 90to240VAC. Hyundai Inverters are very Good With AmcoYuasha Tubular Bettery. but Price may go up to 26k plus. from my personal experience, if warranty is not an issue then, Pure made in China Inverters like, Hanbao etc. are far better than deshi ones. I've Smashed 5 numbers of Sukam/Mikrotek and all deshi staffs :mad:and found that all the circuits/relays etc, are made in China only but, connected with poor Deshi wires and Screws with manufacturing defect, rebranded in India by inexperienced Technicians:( Hanbao 1,000VA model is just 3k5 to 5k at the most place to place but Built in 10(ten) step automatic Voltage Stablizer with automatic forced air cooling System and assambled with high quality wires screws by the Chinese Experts :cool: even without AC including the Frigde and other appliences your requirement is more than 2,000VA. So buy any Good Quality Digital one like, Hyundai price may start from 13k. :confused: Good Luck :nailbiting:
Hi Fellas,

Need to buy an inverter for my hometown in Udaipur. We live in a flat on the top floor & this is the first time we will put an inverter. have not kept any budget in mind, but anywhere between 10K-20K should be fine if it is worth it. Below are my requirements -

1. There are total 4 bedrooms, 1 drawing room, 1 kitchen, 1 lobby, 4 bathrooms & 1 terrace.
2. Inverter should support at least the basics like - Tube light & Fan in Bedrooms, hall & lobby.
3. Bulb/LED light in Washrooms
4. Tube light on Terrace
5. Fridge in Kitchen
6. 55" LED with Onkyo Home theater in the lobby.

I am not sure how to calculate the total Watt & which one to buy. Some reviews say buy inverter & batteries form different companies.

p.s. - LED & Home theater is very important as i have lost 1 plasma already to light fluctuations (i believe) & i don't want to spend separately for stabilizer for LED etc. Hence looking for an Inverter which can play this role as well.

Thanks in advance.

I m not expert at suggesting inverter/batteries but one thing is for sure, it won't fit in 20k if want to cover all points mentioned. One suggestion would be skipping #5 if possible.

This can be done. Will remove fridge from the list.

Su-Kam. Been using 8 of these for the last 8-10 years. All going strong.

Any particular model you have in mind ?

You need to look at the back of each of your devices for the power consumption ... it's mentioned in watts. Add them up and you'll get an approximate figure.

You can keep the fridge as an optional or emergency load. You can manage to run it on inverter, if you keep rest of the load switched off. Inductive loads need a lot power during start-up. Your inverter needs to support minimum of three-times the power requirement of your fridge. And that's too much for your budget.

If you love your home entertainment system then keep it on a separate UPS, for that momentary blip. Although, high capacity inverters have an UPS option but it's an overkill for 24/7 usage.

As long as your inverter is in warranty period, it's good to have the batteries from the same company. Helps in avoiding unnecessary trouble by service engineers. This doesn't matter post-warranty as you anyways have to shell out money for repairs.

Generally, inverters in the 2.5~3KVA range are built quite good. I have noticed that even the locally made inverters (and batteries) in this range are as good as the branded ones (Sukam, Luminous, Microtek etc). Local stuff has good after-sales support too.

Find out your load requirement and then look for brands/models.

Sure, will remove fridge from the list as lights go for short duration only. At times there are 5 hour power cuts, but that can be planned.

Coming to the point of total watts. i believe it will be in the range of 1000W - 1500W. If i keep the fridge out, still i need to buy a separate UPS for LED & home theater ? If yes, which one do you recommend ?

Coming to the local ones, any idea from where to procure ? Are they available online as i live in Udaipur & don't trust the local one's here.

Modern TV Sets do not usually require any Vok\ltage Stablizers etc. as those are SMPS[Switch Mode Power Supply] with Spike/Surge Protection and have a wide range of input voltage from 90to240VAC. Hyundai Inverters are very Good With AmcoYuasha Tubular Bettery. but Price may go up to 26k plus. from my personal experience, if warranty is not an issue then, Pure made in China Inverters like, Hanbao etc. are far better than deshi ones. I've Smashed 5 numbers of Sukam/Mikrotek and all deshi staffs :mad:and found that all the circuits/relays etc, are made in China only but, connected with poor Deshi wires and Screws with manufacturing defect, rebranded in India by inexperienced Technicians:( Hanbao 1,000VA model is just 3k5 to 5k at the most place to place but Built in 10(ten) step automatic Voltage Stablizer with automatic forced air cooling System and assambled with high quality wires screws by the Chinese Experts :cool: even without AC including the Frigde and other appliences your requirement is more than 2,000VA. So buy any Good Quality Digital one like, Hyundai price may start from 13k. :confused: Good Luck :nailbiting:

Even the sales guy total the same when i bought my 51" plasma that no need for separate UPS. But after 15 months panel went kaput and my 80K down the drain as warranty was only 1 year. I have become like a retard now & gone back to stone age. This time no chances, will prefer to keep UPS or an inverter capable of taking all fluctuations and power mood swings on itself & passing nothing to end units.

Can you share any links for the Chinese models that you suggest & the Hyundai one ?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Looking to finalize this today itself.

Thanks again ! Peace !

Coming to the point of total watts. i believe it will be in the range of 1000W - 1500W. If i keep the fridge out, still i need to buy a separate UPS for LED & home theater ? If yes, which one do you recommend ?
While using inverter, your TV and home theater will reset everytime there's a power cut. So, if your entertainment system can handle that momentary powercut then it's fine otherwise, you can install a separate UPS (not inverter) for it.

You can try out how your entertainment system behaves by quickly switching off and on, all the devices at once. generally, the set-top boxes and DVD players etc reset and that's where a UPS will help.

If you are investing in two backup devices then you can divide your overall load. Otherwise get a bigger capacity inverter. Also, i've noticed that a lot of newer inverter models have a UPS option as well. This option is good your entertainment system but not so useful for rest of the stuff (lights, fans).

Invest in "pure sine wave" interver only. Generally, all the high capacity inverters are pure sine wave.

As for as brand recommendation is concerned, I've noticed all the high capacity (above 2.5KVA) inverters to be in the same performance bracket, be it a local or reputed brand. Probably because such inverters are meant for export/commercial use.

If you don't trust the local brands then it's quite easy for you, as you can count the options on your fingers :p ... we have a very few reputed names... SuKam, Luminous, MicroTek, etc. here are some more:

http://electronicsb2b.efytimes.com/top-15-ups-system-and-inverter-manufacturers-in-india/

Coming to the local ones, any idea from where to procure ? Are they available online as i live in Udaipur & don't trust the local one's here.
Lot of local dealers give a very good deal on no-name brands and they provide service as well. They sell online too but i don't have the list with me right now. Most of these not-so-popular brands were established way before the reputed ones (SuKam etc) and are quite reliable.

@ OP, exclude the Fridge completely, if its not the newer model inverter type fridge, other older model fridge will not be able to take the load.

Nowadays all the inverter can run in UPS mode, meaning computer won't shut down, but the down side is, in this mode, inverter will go in battery mode, even for very less voltage fluctuations. for the rest of the electronic devices, inverter can work in non ups mode if they are attached to stabilizers,

Even after excluding the fridge, your power requirement are very high, so a 1500 VA or better 2000+ VA inverter(Sukam brand is good) is recommended, with two 150AH or 200AH batteries, which will cost more then 30k.

Another suggestion, you have already lost a tv, and still don't have stabilizer for it? you can get those cheapest digital V-gaurd once for almost 1.3k.

Back