Suggest basic dual band router and dongle for laptop

How are the antennas aligned? North-South or East-West?
They were North-South, but I even tried East-West as well. I did some more testing and horizontal range is good as well, but outside the house. The walls seem to be the main culprit here. On 5Ghz, I am getting the same signal strength 20ft from the router inside the house that I am getting 100ft away, outside.
Also, I tried the feature of the TP-Link routers where they broadcast 1 SSID for both bands and then make sure the clients connect accordingly. That didn't work as efficiently as I would've liked. I chose that because I thought the 5Ghz range won't be enough when I am outside and the router will keep shifting me from the 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz whenever I am in range, but it doesn't do that quickly enough. But now, that I see that 5Ghz range is great outside, I have switched that feature off and broadcasting both bands separately.

So, the Archer C80 arrived today. I did some testing with Wi-fi Analyzer app and placed right in the centre of the house, the router will be able to cover my 1000sq ft house, but that's about it. The 2.4Ghz range is awesome and equal to, if not better than the router it is replacing, which is moving to the cow shed.
Surprisingly, the range loss is much lesser if I move to the first and second floor whereas it loses range more quickly horizontally. Currently it is installed at the front of the ground floor and the signal is lost at the diametrically opposite corner of the house. This tells me that if I will place it at the centre of the first floor, it should be able to cover all 3 floors. Since we currently only occupy the ground floor, this theory will only get tested in the future.

Also, thanks to the router, I found out that my TV also supports 5Ghz band, which is great news I believe. So after getting a dongle for my laptop, all the devices in my house will support 5Ghz and the router will be able to provide the 5Ghz signal throughout the house.
do note 5ghz range would be always be less than 2.4ghz and regarding moving the router good idea but than more critical would be positioning of antennae ,the most perfect antennae is sun radiates in all directions .

But home routers have omnidirectional antennae's so you might have to adjust your antennae's at an angle to get a vertical coverage , if you get that correctly you might not have to move the router

An-example-of-omnidirectional-antenna-radiation-pattern.png

So my main issue is solved, thanks to my TV supporting 5Ghz band. It would've been hard otherwise. I bought a TP-Link AC600 wireless adaptor for my laptop. Could've gone for AC1300 as well, but decided to save 450 bucks because the TV doesn't support MU-MIMO.
Getting link speeds of 400Mbps,both on TV and laptop now. Of course real world speeds are much lower. But since even the best rips that I have max out at 35-40Mbps,I am able to play everything OTA instead of having to connect an HDD to the TV. And that was the reason behind this upgrade, so, mission is a success.
Thank you everyone who replied, for your valuable posts.

Back