Storage Solutions Suggest Best M.2 NVMe SSD Gen4 - 500GB for OS & sofwares only

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
This would be used ONLY for installation of OS & other software's (so I am not looking at any larger capacity).
For DESKTOP use

Proposed Build: i5-13600K | Asus Prime Z-690A | G.Skill DDR5 - 32 or 64GB

Purpose: System will be used mainly for video-editing (2K / 4K) with Premiere Pro; Da Vinci; Lightroom; Photoshop etc.

Thoughts / Querries:
1. Confused between WD Black SN850 pro (Rs 6549) vs Samsung 980 pro (Rs 8699) both prices from onlyssd.com [ On flipkart the Samsung is Rs 7599 :oops: ]
2. DURABILITY / RELIABILITY is my main concern as my experiences with M.2 NVMe drives has not been good (last 3 months a Hynix 256GB and Crucial 1TB used on Asus Laptop both crashed; Crucial replaced theirs and with Hynix - I have not pursued the matter :drowning: )
Earlier I have used various 2.5" SSD's for over 7 years with no problems.
3. Would a 250GB suffice for my purpose - only that it's hard to find this capacity or availability in India easily from reputed dealers (of these 2 models). I am aware that other brands are available but again - I am hesitant as the cost is high already.

Thanks
Terence (Terry)

Last edited:
Go with SN850X or SN850 eyes closed. Currently Samsung NVMe drives are going through reliability issues.

If you are using it for laptop, I would suggest Hynix P31. It's one of the fast and most energy efficient drives (same durability as WD/Samsung).
Please do consider parameters like heat and power consumption of drive matters in case of laptop

Go with SN850X or SN850 eyes closed. Currently Samsung NVMe drives are going through reliability issues.

If you are using it for laptop, I would suggest Hynix P31. It's one of the fast and most energy efficient drives (same durability as WD/Samsung).
Please do consider parameters like heat and power consumption of drive matters in case of laptop
It's for DESKTOP purpose.
The SN850X is a killer (unfortunately not available in 500GB) - the 1TB is Rs 10900 at mdcomputers
I do not wish to partition my main M2. NVMe SSD - thus a 1TB would be a waste.

Last edited:
It's for DESKTOP purpose.
The SN850X is a killer (unfortunately not available in 500GB) - the 1TB is Rs 10900 at mdcomputers
I do not wish to partition my main M2. NVMe SSD - thus a 1TB would be a waste.
CAUTION
Samsung Has Reliability Problems with 980Pro & 990Pro -
The first echoes of a problematic behavior of Samsung SSDs arrived through feedback from professionals. As early as January 31, 2023, Puget Systems, a custom PC assembly company, announced that the Samsung 980 Pro firmware was defective and was causing accelerated SSD degradation. “Drives automatically lock in read-only mode, effectively rendering the SSD completely unusable […] During normal operation, the OS is constantly reading and writing data […] It means that your system simply won’t boot “.
A Twitter member named Neil Schofield claims that the health of its Samsung 990 Pro 2TB SSD dropped from 100 to 64% after it only wrote two terabytes of data. Despite the growing number of negative comments from Internet users, Samsung still denied any failure of the 990 Pro. If the company does not offer an adequate update, it risks facing a large wave of returns.

Source: PC Gamer
Source: Some models degrade too quickly according to many users

Perhaps I must stick to WD Black SN850 - 500GB or
WD Black SN850X - 1TB for my OS
Any comments.

Back