Linux Suggest me a distro

if you are interested in slackware, then dont forget to try archlinux.org - i was impressed and had fun installing/configuring it up - it just takes time/bandwidth...

Before installing the actual Distro, I installed VMWare 6 on my Windows machine and made a Mandriva x64 Virtual Machine. Since I haven't used VMWare b4, I want to know that does it requires actual CDs for an OS to boot :( coz I have used Microsoft's Virtual PC and required nothing and works great too. :cool2:

Ryunosuke said:
Before installing the actual Distro, I installed VMWare 6 on my Windows machine and made a Mandriva x64 Virtual Machine. Since I haven't used VMWare b4, I want to know that does it requires actual CDs for an OS to boot :( coz I have used Microsoft's Virtual PC and required nothing and works great too. :cool2:

nope.
just mount the OS image on any virtual drive...
then select that drive as the Optical drive for virtual machine you create..
things will be self explanatory once you install VMWare...

madnav said:
nope.

just mount the OS image on any virtual drive...

then select that drive as the Optical drive for virtual machine you create..

things will be self explanatory once you install VMWare...

OS Image???

All I did was, install VMWare, create a virtual machine and tried to run it.

What I don't understand is that I didn't configured it to do so then why the hell the virtual OS is using PXE Boot method for booting, at which it fails as there exists none? :huh:

you have to configure the virtual cd/dvd drive and point it to the ISO file then it will think its a CD has been inserted and the live session / installer will start :)

by OS image i mean the iso image of the OS installation disk (assuming that you would have downloaded iso image)

if it is so..

the click on Edit in VmWare in that screen you provided.

select cd-rom = your virtual drive where you would be mounting the image...

i hope you selected disk=type = linux while creating the machine... if not so..then create one for linux (select custom while creating the disk)

in short..

start VMWare..

close tips if any :p

pres CTRL+N >> Next >> Select 'Custom' >> Next >> Keep 'WS 6' selected >> Next >> Guest OS = Linux -- Select Appropriate Version >> Next >> Everything hence forth is self explanatory..

:p :bleh: Main to isko khaalee hi pail raha thha! :rofl:

LOL I have no disk, I was just going like, install VMWare,create the machine with OS of ur choice, bada bing bada boom, poof, u r in ur new virtual system. I didn't knew it would require an actual disk. :ashamed:

arey baba... not "disc" ...

dont you download some files with .iso when you try each distro? those will work...

Pata hai babu! Main samajh gaya. Agar virtually chalaney k liye bhi disk image chahiye to Virtaul kis baat ka raha. Gonna un-install it and get the actual thing. Slackware 40% done.

Can some1 guide me thru the archh setup?
Downloaded and burnt image on disc...
I somewhere read that arch's setup was a hard nut :)

Brothers and fellow Penguins, after a futile attempt of actual installation on the desktop, I went the Open SUSE way on the desktop but recently had 100GB partition freed up so made it a testing are for Virtual Machines and vmdks ;) I'm using VMWare so would like ur help folks regarding installation of Slackware 13 x64 on a Virtual machine. BTW is Slackware's installation always in Text-mode? The current problem I'm facing is that the 10GB Virtual HDD I've created for it, it shows no Linux partitions and asks us to create one using cfdisk but running cfdisk, it says Read-Only mode so how can I actually make partitions and commit 'em?

hmmm not sure if you need to unmount anything (but its blank already)...

so you ran the command something like this? "cfdisk /dev/sda" (no sudo/su since you are already root)

("sda" being first hard disk)... im at a loss...

Ryunosuke said:
...... hda not sda, what is that?

hda = First IDE disk on the system (in ur case on vmware)

hda1 - first partition

hda2 - second partition.

sda = First SCSI/SATA disk....

sdb = Second SCSI/SATA....

List your disks with partitions using "fdisk -l" (small L) and see the partition type.

OK, here's what I got when I did fdisk -l

slck.png

Now what to do? I'm thinking of creating the Virtual Machine from start and this time pay attention and create an IDE HDD instead of SCSI. :ashamed:

Back