Audio Suggest me a heaphone

Thanks a lot @PristineNote for all the help....

But I really dont like the looks of ad700 though its a very good headphone...plus its a open air one...

I prefer the ATH - A700 can you give some thoughts of yours on the headphone..I really liked that one...

Dear dragon hunter, I wish I was in Kolkatta, so that you or your friends could have come and audition the product. You are most welcome to have your own opinion :). I gave you info on the product that I own. BTW, I like the looks of AD700 :D.

As far as A700 goes, I have not auditioned them. However my impression is (I could be wrong) that AD700 should be more comfortable to wear than A700. Our Stock on ATH-A900 should be arriving shortly. I have replied the thread as you wanted a headphone that would suit your need. I am sorry I didn't consider looks, as it is subjective and gender based.

You will generally find open end dynamic headphones to be very transparent and detailed.

prasanna29, BF1983 : Thank you.

@ prinstinenote,

If we keep budget aside , then which headphone will be best for gaming with all the features you mentioned in your previous post?

From what I have heard browsing through various forums is that the beyer dynamic dt 880/660 OHM is the best headphones for gaming at a sensible price point. If budget is no bar than it is the Sennheiser hd 800. Both of these require high end amplifiers to reach their full potential. Note that I am just repeating whatever I have heard at various forums and have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. In fact I get the distinct felling that Audiophiles are generally snobbish and exaggerate differences in various headphones, and often take it as a personal offence if the model they are endorsing is disparaged. Hence asking an audiophile for advice is not a good idea. In my view it is completely and utterly pointless, even if you have the money, to buy headphones > 5000 unless you have extensively tried it out.

Around 5-6k.

Sennheiser HD 555
Audiotechnica AD 700
M50
A700

DT770 / Shure SRH 840 if you can strech a bit.

AD700: I own these cans and I can say they can be worn for hours at a strech. +ve stuff is all over the net

Disadvantages:
1.The grills on the side dent a bit easily so this Headphone must be treated with care.
2.Needs a good DAC+AMP or souncard to shine.
3.You cant jog with these headphones on...the clamping mechanism is not tight enough and it calls for attention.
4.Purple colour :p
5.Noise leakage

though Xonar DX you own is a good combo to AD700.....domi1nator here who owns ad700 beleives ad700+E7 combo is much better.

guys after a lot thought i hav decided on the ad700 or may be the hd 555....

i keep looks aside..

But i need to ask a question to the ad700 owners.. Can a person sitting just a little far from me hear when i am chatting on a ad700 using a clip on mic during gaming ??

Xonar Dx + AD700 = Good Combo.

I have the same combo.

I feel my AD700 sounds better when i connect it to my Z2300's Headphone Jack than connect it directly to the PC.

U already have Xonar DX,so go for AD700.

They are open Headphones, there is no provision for the sound to be kept inside the can !
Open headphones sacrifice isolation ( in and out ) for soundstage and a airy touch in music :)

MY AKG K702 can Leak soo much vioce that my friends tease me saying ...:" speaker ulta laga diye hein isme shayad ...andar kam awaaz aati hai aud baahar jaada " :p ( this was when i did not have an amplifier for them , thus the low volume problem)

^Yes, I had both. there is significant improvement.
I had no amps for either of them then- used it with clip.
but still i am not happy with bass of AD700...maybe bcoz i clip was underpowered(i had to max out the volume)

Ok, I think I'd be fine with that amount of bass plus I'll use the E5 for slight boost in the bass dept... looks like the AD700 is my next buy. Is there any point in trying to get it from Singapore? Anyone know how much they sell for there?

chiron said:
Ok, I think I'd be fine with that amount of bass plus I'll use the E5 for slight boost in the bass dept... looks like the AD700 is my next buy. Is there any point in trying to get it from Singapore? Anyone know how much they sell for there?
4.5k-4.7k max if u can ask a friend to carry it for you.
also check out the market section i think i saw a SRH 840 for 6k......very good for the price.(better than ad700 in all dept except comfort and soundstage)

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. I was little bit busy with work, so couldnt follow up on the thread. Finally lets get back to the basics, looking what would ultimately a gamer want?

If he is not a professional gamer then how much time would he spend on his PC? What is he actually looking from his headsets. Please correct me if I am not added more factors. Please do consider these factors.

How much performance expects from his video processor (indicating where does he lean more towards).

What is the kind of the Audio Card he is using. (what does he think about the sound/music in a gaming machine)

Is he a professional gamer if yes how long he sits on the platform... and what kind of games (how much comfort important to him. Different games have different bullet sound synergy for example a cross bow fired on a strategy game sounds different from 1 Vs 1 Encounter games. )

Environment he is using in machine in... bed room, class room, gamin arena, outdoors etc (will call for isolation, and sonic disturbance etc)

Temperatures & humidity of the environment. (headphones accumulate lot of sweat, they can start smelling).

Portability. (If he is professional gamer).

Most of the gaming doesnt require micro detailing. However sound fatigue is a sure factor if he intends to play for long hours. If you are looking to hear mouse mimic like a lions growl, then of course you are not looking for accurate balanced sound!

HD800 is not a good gaming headphone, why? for most of the reasons above and the chances are if someone is a professional gamer, he is likely to spend more money in the GPU. Top end sound cards do not reach anywhere close to top end Video Cards when it comes to prices. Also it is prohibitively expensive. At close to 80,000 INR for the headphones with the paraphernalia will cost you more than your car. On top of that, it would be rendering music, which was not meant to be audiophile quality!

HD555 was good till the time there was no option available, not anymore now. I get lot of mails from people asking suggestions for an upgrade from HD555.

One thing that I also must mention here. Most gamers as they grow in age tend, to lean towards music and good SQ. You should be able to get yourself a good gaming headphone, if you have all the above in mind. M50 has some good potential for a great all rounder. It is a very good candidate indeed!

Disclaimer: I am an Audio-Technica distributor. M50 is a very popular Model from Audio Technica.

Back