Suggest motherboard for i3

Any direct product links?

This thing had coax digital out? How much would a new one cost?

Also, which Xonar has coax digital out for audio?

SumitB said:
Any direct product links?

This thing had coax digital out? How much would a new one cost?

Also, which Xonar has coax digital out for audio?
Buying a good sound card with mobo wud really overshoot ur budget... Buy MSI P55-GD65 instead ;)

Hades. said:
Buying a good sound card with mobo wud really overshoot ur budget... Buy MSI P55-GD65 instead ;)
But this is unavailable na! SMC does not have it. Rahul (ITWares) has not responded. What are my options?

SumitB said:
Okay, so the US3L is out.

Does anyone know if there is any affordable audio card with coax digital out?
Jeez Sumit IDK why are you so hellbent on getting the coax out from a mainboard when you can do it easily with any board that has a 3-pin spdif-out header. Have done it on my present Gigabyte G31-ES2L board. Board costs 2.1k and making this jugaad around 50 bucks.

Refer this guide - http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/digital-output-from-onboard-audio-118758.html

Let me know if you have any issues. :)

Xonar DX has optical out through a 3.5 mm jack. It isn't EOL. :/

Gigabyte GA-H55-S2/Asus P7H55 M LX costs only ~3.5k. So you can invest the rest 3.5k in a sound card. Do even a basic sound card cost even more than that? :O I am an audio n00b. :p

^He doesn't even require a sound card if he intends to output the digital audio from the board/sound card to an AVR or a DAC that decodes it. The signal is inaffected. :)

Okay, so the verdict is get a cheap but good mainboard and do the jugaad for the coax out and I am set?

Which mainboard is then suggested? I don't need onboard gpu if it adds to the cost. Gpu will be the gt430.

SumitB said:
Okay, so the verdict is get a cheap but good mainboard and do the jugaad for the coax out and I am set?

Which mainboard is then suggested? I don't need onboard gpu if it adds to the cost. Gpu will be the gt430.
Boss i3 processor has on board GPU(IGP) built in and the mobo just facilitates it. H55 can use the IGP whereas P55 cant. The H55 mobos can be found for 3.5k+ and P55 for 6k+. If u just need a basic mobo then any of the cheap H55 mobos that i have recommended would do.

Yes. Whatever board you intend to buy, download the manual from the manufacturer's website and find if it has spdif_out header. In all probability it will since almost all cheap boards sport one these days.

Some examples:

1, 2 & 3.

Where do you intend to feed this signal to? An AVR?

Yes an AVR. It does have opt. in but for some reason the 3 opt. in ports are not functioning and I don't have the time or energy to open the avr and get it fixed. So I will need to use the coax in to get the audio into my HT setup.

SumitB said:
Yes an AVR. It does have opt. in but for some reason the 3 opt. in ports are not functioning and I don't have the time or energy to open the avr and get it fixed. So I will need to use the coax in to get the audio into my HT setup.
Aight! This should work. :)

In my case, I fed the coax-out from the PC into the coax-in of my Philips HTS 3571 system and it worked without a fuss. If the media played has DTS audio, the displays indicates DTS and switches to it. Anyhow, I use my PC only for gaming so the DAC takes the coax in ATM.

Well guys,

SMC got back to me about 1 hour back and the MSI-P55-GD65 is available with them. I have placed the order and expect to have it by the end of the week. Will update here then. :clap:

Back