Suggest new PSU and motherboard for my rig

n2avin

Recruit
I have an old PC with AMD Athlon II 3600+ processor (still in warranty) with Asus M2N MX motherboard which has a lot of failing parts (out of warranty). The PSU is also dead (came with the zebronics cabinet).

Need suggestions for a new PSU and motherboard with the scope of upgrading the processor in future. My requirements are basic computing, light gaming and heavy downloading.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2 ~ 2k/ Asus M2N68-AM ~ 2.2k/ Biostar A780L ~ 2.7k/ Biostar A785GE ~ 3.3k/ Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H ~ 4.4k

Decide according to budget. All are Am2+ proccies and can upgrade to AthlonII X2/X3/X4 or even Phenom II proccies.

But man it is simply not worht going with the aforementioned boards the upgrade cycles will keep getting expensive as time goes on and DDR 2 modules become scarce

Thanks for the replies guys.......

I think i will go with Alpha 17's advice and get a new rig...... but what to do with the existing setup????

Is it worth saving to be used as a 24/7 downloading rig or should I try to sell it off ? If its the second option then can anybody suggest any shop in Chennai where I can sell it off?

If you get an AM2+ motherboard, all you'll need to upgrade in the future is your CPU.

Get a power efficient , reliable smps like the Corsair VX450, which'll see you through a couple of upgrades (CPU+GPU).
Get some more RAM now, so that the total amount of RAM you have is atleast 4GB.
Get a m/b like the Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H which supports hexa-core cpu's.

You could get a new CPU, and DDR3 RAM right now, to go with your new m/b, but your current CPU's powerful enough for light gaming, and power efficient enough for heavy downloading. Also you'd probably get less than Rs.1000 if you sold it, so it doesn't make much sense to dump it when you don't need to.

DDR3's more expensive than DDR2 right now, and your already using it. Just supplement what you have so that you don't need to buy more RAM for the next year or two. ~4GB should be enough for basic computing, and light gaming for atleast the next 2 yrs. RAM comes with a 3-5 yr warranty, so even if it conks off, you won't be affected by scarcity in the future.

You could go for a new rig now as well, but you've gotten lucky with the AM2 cpu you currently have. Usually a socket doesn't have as much longetivity as AM2 does, so you may as well take advantage of it.

Back