Graphic Cards Suggest PSU that will feed HD 5970 rig

mrbadshii said:
what is overhead?

Keeping some space above the limit. For example if you go on a journey, and you know the expenses would be Rs. 2000. But you carry Rs. 3000. That extra 1K is the overhead.

Gannu said:
^The HX620 is EOL - the HX650 has replaced it.

Btw when you guys suggest a power supply, none of you looks for a headroom considering future upgrades one might do? I mean one need not necessarily upgrade his power supply each time he does a major overhaul for his system so investing in a good supply now makes sense, doesn't it?

I usually quote PSU + 30% as the extra juice that might be needed in the future. I think in this case a 650W should suffice.

vasim21 said:
OP : If u plan on goin for crossfire in near future thn Corsair HX850/1000 or else Corsair TX 650 wud be more thn sufficient :D

He is going Xfire. HD5970..? Now do not tell me, he will mount 2 x HD5970...!

ragzdiablo said:
The seasonic X750 looks good..

Too much...!

asingh said:
Keeping some space above the limit. For example if you go on a journey, and you know the expenses would be Rs. 2000. But you carry Rs. 3000. That extra 1K is the overhead.

I usually quote PSU + 30% as the extra juice that might be needed in the future. I think in this case a 650W should suffice.

He is going Xfire. HD5970..? Now do not tell me, he will mount 2 x HD5970...!

Too much...!
nah mate i wont be havin two of them, and im not getting that card i want to get the hd 5850 now because it looks really good for the price i think it will be better than a gts 250 also what do you think? sorry to be a pain in the arse!

mrbadshii said:
nah mate i wont be havin two of them, and im not getting that card i want to get the hd 5850 now because it looks really good for the price i think it will be better than a gts 250 also what do you think? sorry to be a pain in the arse!

Just wait for the 5830 also, that may be even better VFM.

HD 5850 is definitely one of the best card for that price. But i wud say, just wait a bit for the custom cooler versions. The reference cooler aint that good.

Sapphire has introduced 5870 with custom cooler, like they did to HD 4870. Price would be more or less the same, but will run 15~20c cooler under load, and oc much better.

They might release similar cooler version for 5850 soon, probably less than a month.

Techgage - Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X

U can go with a branded 650 or above psu but for oc and future expansions better opt with a 800 - 1100 branded psu (recomended modular). "I am currently using ASUS Radeon 5970 with a TAGAN PipeROCK BZ800 (modular) ".

roy89 said:
U can go with a branded 650 or above psu but for oc and future expansions better opt with a 800 - 1100 branded psu (recomended modular). "I am currently using ASUS Radeon 5970 with a TAGAN PipeROCK BZ800 (modular) ".

1100W PSU ? u sure?

its like 3 times the real power consumption of the system we are talking bout here. :rofl:

and how does being modular helps in OC and future expansions.

Going with GP 650 + HD 5970 is like using Kerosene to run Fire blade 1000RR:bleh:

Not tht GP 650w is bad its awesome for the price.....but a TX 750 would go well with a ultra high end system:clap:

dOm1naTOr said:
1100W PSU ? u sure?

its like 3 times the real power consumption of the system we are talking bout here. :rofl:

and how does being modular helps in OC and future expansions.

modular wont help any thing in oc that much, but one of the major factor is cable management,

as less cable more free space as lots of cables can be real messy, although its also important

on what cabby u r using.

^^^@ roy..

very true.. a COrsair TX750W is actually more than eunf..

@ roy - u hav a Phenom II 955 + HD5970? aren't u getting seriously BOTTLENECKED due to the procc? even the HD5870 bottlenecks the Core i7 @ 3.8GHz in some games...and this is a Phenom II..

I would suggest to atleast have 750Watter.
As for people recommending 600-650W PSUs, I dont doubt your smartness nor the products being recomended but if he can buy a 5970 he should casually spend 2-3K more n get a trusted PSU which will help run not just the card smoothly but whole rig ;)

I hope this closes the case :p

Gannu said:
^Wait until some genius quotes your post and gives you an explanation. :p

I've given up already!

Guess I am the one...!
Harshal said:
I would suggest to atleast have 750Watter.
As for people recommending 600-650W PSUs, I dont doubt your smartness nor the products being recomended but if he can buy a 5970 he should casually spend 2-3K more n get a trusted PSU which will help run not just the card smoothly but whole rig ;)

I hope this closes the case :p

He wants this now...

mrbadshii said:

:)

So I guess, a 550W should be enough.

Then both securing for future and choosing right one is corsair hx620, its the best in the segment and even more stable and better sometimes from few 750 - 800

Roy89, and you speak from personal experience?? If yes then why are you on a 800w??
I agree HX620 is good indeed.. but great or the best, honestly no idea. Personally me investing in a product designed almost 3 or so years ago even if it performs great dont work. Newer regulations/certifications and better or improved QC makes a new product on market (usually from a reputed company) desireable. I can vouch for TX750 as I have thrown crazy stuff at it and its come out clean.. Max freq of 5.88G on a QX9770 to 6.21G cpu benchmarks on a AMD PII 965 ;)

roy89 said:
Then both securing for future and choosing right one is corsair hx620, its the best in the segment and even more stable and better sometimes from few 750 - 800

*facepalm* The HX620 is EOL!

Back