Suggestion needed for an all round PC

xtremegforce

Disciple
Questions

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - Intel P4 Prescott 3.4

Motherboard - Asus P4c800 e-delux

GPU - Geforce 7300 GT 512 Mb

RAM - Kinsgton 512X4MB PC6400

Monitor - 17" Samsung

SMPS - Cooler Master 430w

Keyboard, Mouse

(please mention the rest in above format)

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - 17" Samsung

Keyboard, Mouse

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel i5 2400 (i5 2500k out of budget) :(:(

Motherboard - Asus P8P67 M(I don't like cheap ones and they have nasty habit of collapsing under pressure).

GPU - Saphire AMD Radeon 6790 1GB

Ram - Gskill RipJaws 4GB or 8GB

PSU - please suggest me a one

I couldn't find Corsair 550VX or Seasonic Bronze 620 :(

both have 9.5 on jonnyguru.

Please suggest something having similiar ratings. Budget upto 5.5K

Cabinet - NZXT Gamma or anything within 2-3k

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

CPU - IVY Bridge

Cabinet - NZXT Evo maybe I don't Know

GPU - Nvidia 580

Monitor - 23" Full HD

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Mumbai

Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

3d Animation and Rendering

Gaming

Browsing

Desktop Processing

HTPC

Download rig, 24x7 operation

Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Asus, Gigabyte, Corsair, Seasonic, and All the other good ones.

Q: Do not want to buy Asus product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic?

To answer this question, I have been using my mobo for the I don't know for how many years. Never had to face issues. Just had to get it RMA once. Although I am not aware about the current scenario.But still would like to give it a go.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

FEAR 3, Prince of Persia, BRINK, RAGE

Racing - Grid at medium to high settings

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Gaming - 1280x1024

Desktop - 1280x1024

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit

Linux - Ubuntu

I would be upgrading my monitor within 2 months to a HD monitor. That's why I chose AMD Radeon 6790.

Guys, Corsair VX550 is available at PrimeABGB for 4850/-. Also let me know your thoughts on Intel DP67BA mobo.

Also can you guys please suggest a GPU for gaming at 1280x1024. Its should support DX11

^Then that should be fine.
VX550 is a good choice. But for HD6790 even the VX450 will be more than sufficient.
Also get the Intel DH67BL B3 ~ 5.1k. Since you are not overclocking, spending ~3k more on a P67 is not worth it. One more advantage of H67 is that if at all your GPU goes for RMA/repair then you can use the integrated graphics for a few days as standby.

Hades. said:
He said that he will upgrade his GPU to GTX580 so i think he should buy a PSU with more stamina like TX650 V2 :)
Oops. Missed that. Just saw his HD6790 which he mentioned in his post. Then yeah the Corsair TX 650 V2 ~ 5.2k should be perfect considering its bronze certified, 5 years warranty and efficiency, ripple much better than the previous TX series.

@OP

Why are you not thinking of building an overclocking rig? Within 40k you can easily build one... Plus an overclocking rig would be good for your future upgrades and also would last longer... :)

Hades. said:
@OP

Why are you not thinking of building an overclocking rig? Within 40k you can easily build one... Plus an overclocking rig would be good for your future upgrades and also would last longer... :)

Not really. AFAIK OCing only reduces component life (You are stressing something) Instead of spending 19k on a 2500K+P67+(2k for 3rd party cooler which takes it to 21k!) he can spend 14k on 2400+H67 and then sell the 2400 and upgrade again to IvyBridge!

Not really. AFAIK OCing only reduces component life (You are stressing something)

I know this... But not that much... Plus i am recommending OP to build an overclocking rig as GTX580 would benefit from it... I meant to say that he will get higher framerates in games...

he can spend 14k on 2400+H67 and then sell the 2400 and upgrade again to IvyBridge!

This is also an option... If OP would like to change his proccy after 9months as ivybridge release date has been pushed back to march/april (2nd Quarter of 2012) ...

Thanks a lot to everybody for giving me your valuable suggestions. Sorry guys for replying so late, just came from the office.

DarkAngel

Re: Suggestion needed for an all round PC

^Then that should be fine.

VX550 is a good choice. But for HD6790 even the VX450 will be more than sufficient.

Also get the Intel DH67BL B3 ~ 5.1k. Since you are not overclocking, spending ~3k more on a P67 is not worth it. One more advantage of H67 is that if at all your GPU goes for RMA/repair then you can use the integrated graphics for a few days as standby.

Thanks a lot DarkAngel, my only issue with H67 is that I am not aware if it will be ivybridge compatible. Also the only brand I am leaning towards is ASUS as I cannot find MSI or Gigabyte with same specs and features. Or I can buy an H67 mobo and then sell off the mobo and the processor when IvyBridge is launched. What do you suggest?

Also the P67 series has solid caps Asus P8P67 M (8300/-)

Hades.

But for HD6790 even the VX450 will be more than sufficient.

He said that he will upgrade his GPU to GTX580 so i think he should buy a PSU with more stamina like TX650 V2

Thanks a lot Hades for reminding me about TX650 V2. Went back to jonnyguru for the review. Although I couldn't find for 650 I found for 850 which has 9.5 rating. So going forward with TX650 V2(finalized).:clap:

nick2012

get 6850-9.2k

better than 6790 and will also give u playable frames with medium settings on hd reso

Hey buddy, I really wish I could squeeze it into my budget.:(

DarkAngel

Quote Originally Posted by Hades. View Post

He said that he will upgrade his GPU to GTX580 so i think he should buy a PSU with more stamina like TX650 V2

Oops. Missed that. Just saw his HD6790 which he mentioned in his post. Then yeah the Corsair TX 650 V2 ~ 5.2k should be perfect considering its bronze certified, 5 years warranty and efficiency, ripple much better than the previous TX series.

Thanks a lot once again for TX650 V2, I hope it's available with prime.

Hades.

@OP

Why are you not thinking of building an overclocking rig? Within 40k you can easily build one... Plus an overclocking rig would be good for your future upgrades and also would last longer...

Hades, initially I too had thought of building an overclock-able rig using i5 2500k, Noctua D14 or Corsair H100 kit. But my budget got squeezed a bit.

By the way any suggestions for a full HD Monitor and a cabinet would be really great.

For monitor get the BEnQ G2220 HD / E2220 HD both are essentially the same panels but the E-**** comes with a HDMI port while the G-**** lacks it. If you want a Full-HD monitor look no further than the Dell Ultrasharp U2311H ~ 15500/- @SMC International -- its IPS panel decimated its TN-based opponents due to the natural technological hierarchy rules and color and viewing angles are also greatly improved -- LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN.

For cabinet you better stick to the NZXT Gamma which is a really great cabinet for ~ 2100/-, add a couple of Cooler Master R4 fans for airflow set-up (as Gamma only includes a single exhaust 120mm in retail). Both these components should come by easily to you (in Bombay), instead of buying the HD 6790 buy the HD 5770, its cheaper but performs roughly at the same level -- AMD Radeon HD 6790 1 GB Review - Page 26/26 | techPowerUp / http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6790-barts-gpu-geforce-gtx-460,2917-16.html / http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/04/05/amd-radeon-hd-6790-1gb-review/8.

xtremegforce said:
Thanks a lot DarkAngel, my only issue with H67 is that I am not aware if it will be ivybridge compatible. Also the only brand I am leaning towards is ASUS as I cannot find MSI or Gigabyte with same specs and features. Or I can buy an H67 mobo and then sell off the mobo and the processor when IvyBridge is launched. What do you suggest?

Also the P67 series has solid caps Asus P8P67 M (8300/-)
Stick to a P67 if you are sure of upgrading to a Ivy-Bridge later, almost all motherboards which cost above-6000/- come with Solid Metal Capacitors (ASUS and Gigabyte just throw in a lot of marketing bling to that).

Processor Intel Core i5 2500k 10800
Motherboard Asus P8P67-M (B3) 7900
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB 2600
GPU MSI HD6850 Cyclone PE 9800
Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2100
PSU Corsair TX650 V2 5200
CPU Cooler CM Hyper 212+ 1950
Total 40350

I would still advice you to buy an i5 2500k + Asus P8P67 M combo... As you can easily overclock this rig on stock voltage to 4.3GHz to gain 20% more performance ... Plus even if you dont want to build an overclockable rig now atleast buy P8P67 M motherboard which supports overclocking instead of buying an H67 motherboard and regretting in the future and saying "WTF i can't buy a K series Ivy Bridge processor and overclock it bcoz my motherboard doesn't support overclocking"... You can overclock this rig to squeeze 20% more performance and you would also be having an option to overclock future IvyBridge K series processors which would perform 20 to 30% percent better than Sandy Bridge processors...And after overclocking the future i5 35xx to get 20% more performance the difference in performance between i5 2500 @ stock clock and future i5 35xxk overclocked would become 40 to 50%...

Hey guys I just got some of prices from prime and Itwares

Prime says 17000 for i5 2400 + Asus P8P67 M,
4300 - 2X4GB Gskill Ripjaws,
5800 - Corsair TX650 V2,
8300 - Saphire Radeon HD6790,

ITwares has Corsair VX550 for 4650.
Thanks a lot Hades for the config. I too want to build an overclock rig. But its like an avalanche one thing leading to another. I buy the i5 2500k then Noctua D14 or Corsair H50/H100 to cool the beast.

So here's the rig that I have finalized.

Processor Intel Core i5 2400
Motherboard Asus P8P67-M (B3)
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 2x4GB
GPU MSI HD6850 Cyclone PE
Cabinet NZXT Gamma
PSU Corsair TX650 V2

1. 8GB will be most probably a waste. If you are into heavy photoshopping however, then it's a good deal!

Rest of config is awesome! But again, if you intend on a GTX580, why not get a better cabinet? Like CM Centurion 690 @ 4.2k?

The CPU and mobo combo price that primeabgb has quoted is pretty decent... But the PSU price that primeabgb has quoted is a bit higher than at the price most dealers are selling it for... Mediahome is selling TX V2 650 for 5.4k... Tell them that it is selling for 400 to 500 bucks lower than the price that they are quoting it for...

8 gb ram would be great help. Are you sure that the mother board you selected support Processor that will Released in 2012?

comp@ddict

1. 8GB will be most probably a waste. If you are into heavy photoshopping however, then it's a good deal!

Rest of config is awesome! But again, if you intend on a GTX580, why not get a better cabinet? Like CM Centurion 690 @ 4.2k?

4.2k, a little out of budget my friend.

Emperor

8 gb ram would be great help. Are you sure that the mother board you selected support Processor that will Released in 2

hey emperor, the Ivybridge docs say that certain 67 chips would be supported. I really hope this one has that support maybe through a BIOS flash.

Back