Suggestion needed for an all round PC

xtremegforce said:
4.2k, a little out of budget my friend.

hey emperor, the Ivybridge docs say that certain 67 chips would be supported. I really hope this one has that support maybe through a BIOS flash.
Oye stick with 4GB RAM for now, later boost it if need comes, like Comp@ddict said unless you are not doing Photoshop the extra 4GB will be a waste investment.

Hi guys,

Please suggest a good VFM card for HD6850. Which brand should I go for?

I seen excellent reviews for Saphire HD6850 Toxic Editon And Asus HD6850 DirectCu.

Thanks

^^ Go for the Sapphire standard edition (reference AMD PCB base will be cheapest) http://www.theitwares.com/sapphire-100315l-radeon-6850-256bit-gddr5-express-hdcp-ready-crossfirex-support-video-card-with-eyefinity-p-1020.html OR Toxic edition http://www.smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=1281&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=91 / Vapor-X edition, it has more reliable A.S.S. here in India as compared to ASUS.

Otherwise if you can find HIS IceQ Radeon HD 6850, you'll find the coolest running custom cooler for AMD cards, but this can also lead to a price jump of around ~ 500/- -- 1000/- so prioritize.

Hope this helps.

comp@ddict said:
1. 8GB will be most probably a waste. If you are into heavy photoshopping however, then it's a good deal!

Rest of config is awesome! But again, if you intend on a GTX580, why not get a better cabinet? Like CM Centurion 690 @ 4.2k?
Since the OPs first use is "3D Animation and Rendering", even 8GB is too little. 16GB is the minimum recommended. Plus, RAM doesn't cost much. Also, upgrading to i7 2600 and HT makes a big difference to Rendering. Save on the GPU - GTX 580 is poor value for money. You will see no benefit on 1280x1024. Get a 6970 or 570, in fact even HD 6850 is overkill for 1280x1024. Use the money saved to upgrade to i7 2600. It's going to make a big difference to your render times while not compromising on your gaming.

xtremegforce said:
Hi guys,

Please suggest a good VFM card for HD6850. Which brand should I go for?
I seen excellent reviews for Saphire HD6850 Toxic Editon And Asus HD6850 DirectCu.

Thanks
Buy MSI HD6850 Cyclone PE/OC ~ 9.8K... Its better than any HD6850 currently available in the market...

Sub said:
Since the OPs first use is "3D Animation and Rendering", even 8GB is too little. 16GB is the minimum recommended. Plus, RAM doesn't cost much. Also, upgrading to i7 2600 and HT makes a big difference to Rendering. Save on the GPU - GTX 580 is poor value for money. You will see no benefit on 1280x1024. Get a 6970 or 570, in fact even HD 6850 is overkill for 1280x1024. Use the money saved to upgrade to i7 2600. It's going to make a big difference to your render times while not compromising on your gaming.
AAAAAAAAAAA... in that vein even 16GB is to little man, lets go the whole hog and tell him to get a 24GB kit, RAM doesn't play a huge aspect in animation suits OR modelling until you suddenly go bonkers and feel like raising particles / photons to insane levels. I know this I'm an animation student and I am working with a Phenom IIx4 965 B.E. + 6GB 1333 MHz RAM + HD 5770 and things work out fine in Autodesk MAYA 11.

As for HT I've no experience of that really, but I know Mental Ray render on a Phenom IIx6 (Thuban) is faster than on a Core i7 2500. An AMD HD 6970 is not a good choice if animation is in question as the plug-in base of MAYA and Adobe is stilted towards nVidia, also CUDA cores are optimized for this task as well.

Sub said:
Since the OPs first use is "3D Animation and Rendering", even 8GB is too little. 16GB is the minimum recommended. Plus, RAM doesn't cost much. Also, upgrading to i7 2600 and HT makes a big difference to Rendering. Save on the GPU - GTX 580 is poor value for money
Please post proof of your claims.

^^ Bruv your answer.

xtremegforce said:
Questions

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

3d Animation and Rendering

Gaming

Browsing

Desktop Processing

HTPC

Download rig, 24x7 operation

Watching HD movies

Hades. said:
^^ Yes it would... IvyBridge processors will be backward compatible with all P67, H67, Z68 and H61 motherboards...

Ivy Bridge’s Backwards Compatibility Explained
@Hades and exremegforce, I may be wrong about this in this case, but Intel is known for bait and switch in such matters.

In 2006 or so, Intel announced that LGA 775 motherboards will be compatible with quad core Core 2 series processors. Asus sold LGA 775 motherboards with stickers "Quad core compatible". When Quad core processors actually came out (around 2007-8), very few quad core Core 2 processors actually fit on an LGA 775 - most were made for some other pin layout. Though Intel website mentioned some Quad core LGA 775 processors, they were practically unavailable to the retail customer even in the US - and I think none was ever sold in India.

So theoretically, Intel was right in its promise of supporting LGA 775 with Quad core. Practically, it was wrong. I guess you needed to order thousands of processors to be able to get a LGA 775 Quad core. Intel's "future vision" only applies to its target audience - the data centre operators with order size in thousands. Home enthusiasts and small business owners have never been given much importance.

YMMV

I dont know what happened in the past but i am pretty sure that Intel wont repeat that mistake again... Future processors would be compatible with all cougar point chipset mothboards...

Hey guys, need your help in selecting a nvidia card as it is supported by Octane Render(real-time rendering) and 3dsmax Vray RT which only supports CUDA.

^^ Get a GTX 560 Ti ~ 13500/- OR GTX 570 ~ 19500/- depending on budget. A small read-up on CUDA that you may enjoy --

CUDA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nvidia's CUDA: The End of the CPU? : Introduction

AnandTech - NVIDIA Announces CUDA 4.0 -- CUDA 4.0 is out, although supporting applications are still few and far in-between..

Here is a comparison between the gaming prowess and CUDA (or lack of) cores of a AMD HD 6950 1GB vs. nVidia GTX 560 Ti (the standard GTX 560 is not a good buy it is a wee bit cheaper) -- AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

If you want to see a world of improvement in your render times get a nVidia Quadro series cards NVIDIA Quadro FX (though gaming performance will suffer immensely in the entry level Quadro's) render times will show a positive up-swing, so again you've to either invest ~45000/- + if you want a FX 4800 (which gives decent frame-rates and good render times) OR be satisfied with a GTX 560 Ti.

Here is AMD / ATi FirePro vs. nVidia Quadro -- Nvidia Quadro FX vs. ATI FirePro: Professional Graphics Accelerators Roundup - X-bit labs

I dont know what amit is smoking LGA775 took the most powerful of intel quads till i7.Those quads (Q9450,9550 etc etc ) are still more powerful and better than amd chip available to date (except for pure multicore apps where obv X6 will be better).

I dont think 8gb ram is a waste especially for 64bit OS. It is slight overkill I agree but 4gb is bare minimum now it seems.

Zloyd said:
I dont know what amit is smoking LGA775 took the most powerful of intel quads till i7.Those quads (Q9450,9550 etc etc ) are still more powerful and better than amd chip available to date (except for pure multicore apps where obv X6 will be better).
Please read my post. I never said quad core LGA 775s were not powerful. I said they were practically not available in 2009 - all my attempts to buy them in India failed, online retailers in US also didn't stock them, couldn't see any consumer review of these too.

I never said anything about relative power of AMD / Intel processors either.

hi guys,please I need your help.

Since I am kind of on a tight budget here and my love for nvidia this is the rig I am leaning towards mainly because I want to real-time rendering with Octane and 3dsmax Vray RT and these guys only support nvidia because of CUDA. I may even join the Folding project in near future.

Processor Intel Core i5 2400
Motherboard Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 or ASUS P8H67-M LX or :huh::huh: kindly suggest a H67 mobo.
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 2x4GB (I am Not even sure If H67 board would Support it or I'll have to go for 133Mhz Ram. What will happen if I put this kit onto the H67 chipset? Can it be made to work at 1600Mhz or it will work at 1333Mhz)
GPU MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk/ Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI / Gigabyte GV-N560SO-1GI /Asus (Don't know gigabyte one's are available in india) .
Cabinet NZXT Gamma
PSU Corsair TX650 V2

Thanks a lot

^^ Intel Core i5 2400 ~ 9000/-

G.Skill TRIDENT 1600 MHz CL-8 ~ 3000/- <don't worry the RAM will be compatible, at most it will clock itself down to 1333 MHz until you don't tweak around a little with voltages> G-SKILL[ Trident ] PC3-12800 / DDR3 1600 Mhz/cl-8-8-8-24 (2Gx2)

Any compatible board that fits in your budget <go through DarkAngel's and Hades's older posts they should give you a good idea>. Avoid the MSi H67MA-E35.

MSi GTX 560 Twin Frozr III <this is one of the best aftermarket cooling solutions that has been used on a variety of graphics card>.

Rest all fine. Hope this helps.

What will happen if I put this kit onto the H67 chipset? Can it be made to work at 1600Mhz or it will work at 1333Mhz)
It will get downclocked to 1333MHz... I dont know whether you would be able to run these sticks at 1600MHz or not... And i even can't say that whether you would be able to run these at 1600MHz if you would select XMP profile... Coz what XMP profile does is it overclocks the base frequency of the CPU to make the sticks run at their specified speed... And i5 2400 base frequency can't be overclocked coz its locked so what i think is that you wont be able to run any RAM at higher frequency than what H67 chipset supports... So imo buy 1333MHz Ram kit... Even if you would buy 1600MHz kit then your system would easily support them but the sticks will get downclocked to 1333MHz... You can do one thing you can buy 1600MHz CL9 Rams kit and you can lower their CAS latency to 8-8-8-24 or even to 7-7-7-21 to get better performance from them @ 1333MHz :)

Back