Suggestion please - NAS drive or normal HDD

Sagarvikram

Disciple
Guys,

I have just installed a NAS for my data backup and looking for recommendation for HDD. I already have one 4TB NAS drive and need one more so just wondering if normal HDD will do. I am not in a state to spend much right now on the drive and normal HDD would cost me a little bit less. I will not be running this server 24x7. It will be running mostly when i am makeup of data on the drives.

Would really appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks in advance

Internal will work just as well. NAS drives are meant to be used 24/7/365 and overkill for your usage. I've used normal hdd continuously for months and they work just as well. You just need good cooling and ventilation in the cabinet.

For recommendations - what capacity do you need? 1/2/4/6/8TB? Avoid WD drives for now. Buy Seagate.
On Amazon the external 4TB Seagate portable one are cheaper than the 4TB internal ones.

Last edited:
Oh.. I need an internal hard drive for my purpose. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I have decided to buy a normal hard drive or may be a surveillance hard drive. Would cost me a little bit less than tha NAS drives.

Few pointers for NAS/raid drives:

They should support TLER, they should not be SMR, they should be low power and heat, and they should vibrate less because multiple drives installed in a single chassis can affect others if they vibrate too much.
Internal will work just as well. NAS drives are meant to be used 24/7/365 and overkill for your usage. I've used normal hdd continuously for months and they work just as well. You just need good cooling and ventilation in the cabinet.

For recommendations - what capacity do you need? 1/2/4/6/8TB? Avoid WD drives for now. Buy Seagate.
On Amazon the external 4TB Seagate portable one are cheaper than the 4TB internal ones.
Seagates below 10TB are SMR. NOT reccomended for NAS.

Soon every drive will be SMR drive. I stopped buying HDDs because of that crap storage system. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I just bought a my book 8tb because it was definitely NOT smr. Got a WD80EDAZ which is equivalent to a red, air drive so it runs pretty hot. My 2-year old my book 8tb came with a WD80EZAZ which is a sweet helium drive.

WD took a lot of flack for calling SMR drives 'NAS' drives, so i think for cheaper drives yes, but more performance oriented ones would still be PMR. That is untill, HAMR drives come out. They would be expensive at first till they find widespread adoption. I have doubts about HAMR though, adding more and more technology in smaller densities is just increasing the possibilites and points of failure.

Back