Suggestions for 65 Inch TV

This only works if you can see the same video on different screens and some how you manage to reset them to the same brightness. I wanted to play some test videos off a pendrive but the guy at the store said he would not allow it because of 'virus' issues.

:oops::rolleyes:

Yeah, no go. It's too difficult to spot differences when the screens in the shop could be on different settings which can make one screen (that they want to sell) look better than another. They are all maxed out on brightness as well. Some screens older than others. SD cable feeds. I gave up.
Yeah... Shops can be quite stingy in India, given we have the culture of providing minimum information to end users. While I did go to my regular shop while hunting for TV, they were kind enough to allow viewing from one to two sources. While deciding between LG's Nanocell based TV and Samsung's Qled, Samsung was the clear winner.
Yeah, do agree with Max brightness and videos curated to look good for selected TV panels. We can never have that experience in India .
And lol... Virus on a TV set!! He should be awarded by the Prez for such high thinking.

While deciding between LG's Nanocell based TV and Samsung's Qled, Samsung was the clear winner.
This is the other thing. Never ending list of buzz words that seems to change every few years.

Quantum dot. Is this the replacement for plasma these days?

I'm a bit wary of the constraints OLED imposes. Curtains must be drawn etc. This is good in cold countries where curtains are thick. We don't use thick curtains in India. Their purpose is more for privacy than light blocking.

Course if you only watch at night then i guess OLED is ok

Last edited:
I recently bought x90j 55" Sony and would highly recommend. I got it for like 93k. I think in your budget, 65" will be available.
Also, since your budget is good, make sure the TV you're buying has at least these features:-
1) Dolby Vision
2) HDMI 2.1
3) 120HZ native refresh rate
4) Full array local dimming (if not OLED)

This is the other thing. Never ending list of buzz words that seems to change every few years.

Quantum dot. Is this the replacement for plasma these days?

I'm a bit wary of the constraints OLED imposes. Curtains must be drawn etc. This is good in cold countries where curtains are thick. We don't use thick curtains in India. Their purpose is more for privacy than light blocking.

Course if you only watch at night then i guess OLED is ok

OLED would be /are the successor to Plasma , initial generations of oled panels were expensive to manufacture and didnt have high brightness compared to LCD LED and over the time with advancement that is changing .Since the brightness of oled is less .Manufacturers didnt put a matte finish screen as it will further reduce the brightness .Hence glossy finish.

But what is the future of tvs , basically samsung is or has shutting down manufacturing of LCD panels .they too are moving onto oleds and minileds.

Future would be miniled based screen but it is too darn expensive since it provides quality of oleds and longetivity of lcd/LED screens.

Regarding query of why TCL has priced low .Than it comes to scale of economy and lack of inhouse custom R&D to work on Graphic chips algorithms and tuning of tv panels.Cheaper materials etc If going with miniled go for more viewing zones the top model present in india.

plasma vs oled

Last edited:
@Mr.J
while buying TV just focus on picture quality, and few absolute basics things.
Other feature , etc can be added externally with only 2-3k INR.

do not look for LED in 2022, OLED is the one you might want to check.

also see this video, i think will be of some help - basically to understand & ignore the marketing propaganda.

OLED would be /are the successor to Plasma , initial generations of oled panels were expensive to manufacture and didnt have high brightness compared to LCD LED and over the time with advancement that is changing .Since the brightness of oled is less .Manufacturers didnt put a matte finish screen as it will further reduce the brightness .Hence glossy finish.

But what is the future of tvs , basically samsung is or has shutting down manufacturing of LCD panels .they too are moving onto oleds and minileds.

Future would be miniled based screen but it is too darn expensive since it provides quality of oleds and longetivity of lcd/LED screens.

Regarding query of why TCL has priced low .Than it comes to scale of economy and lack of inhouse custom R&D to work on Graphic chips algorithms and tuning of tv panels.Cheaper materials etc If going with miniled go for more viewing zones the top model present in india.

plasma vs oled

Good review, he has put in a lot of effort to equalise the viewing on both those screens. You can't do this in a shop but still there is a caveat where he says don't use his video to judge quality since he is displaying them at an angle. Which is a pity.

I'm amazed to find he says the OLED is brighter than the plasma. That would take care of day time viewing if so.

SD resolution is one thing to think about. You need to sit even further back if you have a larger screen. Maybe not if it is upscaled well.

The plasma seems to do better with SD than OLED. Better for legacy sources.

Good review, he has put in a lot of effort to equalise the viewing on both those screens. You can't do this in a shop but still there is a caveat where he says don't use his video to judge quality since he is displaying them at an angle. Which is a pity.

I'm amazed to find he says the OLED is brighter than the plasma. That would take care of day time viewing if so.

SD resolution is one thing to think about. You need to sit even further back if you have a larger screen. Maybe not if it is upscaled well.

The plasma seems to do better with SD than OLED. Better for legacy sources.
the problem isnt with oled , the problem is with glossy screen finish ,

the problem isnt with oled , the problem is with glossy screen finish ,

Excellent video. Putting this C1 that everyone raves about in a living room is out of the question because most will be southern facing.

Must test room comptibility using either a small pane of glass or acryrlic and checking for reflections. Even a phone or tab with screen off will work just fine.

This should be SOP for anyone considering OLED. Simple test like this can prevent headaches afterwards.

Last edited:
@op I'd also suggest lg Qned91, it's a mini led but you should be fine with bad DSE, other than that this TV looks way better than the qn90a in colours, skin tones. They can be had at 1.35L if you bargain.
1.35? Where? I'm seeing it for 2L everywhere I look.

I recently bought x90j 55" Sony and would highly recommend. I got it for like 93k. I think in your budget, 65" will be available.
Also, since your budget is good, make sure the TV you're buying has at least these features:-
1) Dolby Vision
2) HDMI 2.1
3) 120HZ native refresh rate
4) Full array local dimming (if not OLED)
I honestly don't care for refresh rate as I don't plan on gaming. TV shows and movies look weird in high refresh rates as none of them are shot at that rate.

@Mr.J
do not look for LED in 2022, OLED is the one you might want to check.

also see this video, i think will be of some help - basically to understand & ignore the marketing propaganda.
Thanks, watching it now. I'd love to get OLED but they're wayyyyyyyy out of my budget.

Lg Qned91 is actually a pretty good TV except for this bad DSE. I got it a month back and I'm stuck with it as LG after sales support is useless. They're calling it a feature, it's ridiculous.

Back