Tablet to read books, magazines and pdfs

If the budget allows for 80K, why not a kindle paperwhite (which is unparalleled for text only books) + an iPad (non pro)?
I would never read a novel on an ipad /any tablet nor would attempt reading a magazine/pdf on a kindle unless I feel like torturing myself :)

The ipad model selection would be a very personal decision (e.g. i have seen a lot of women e.g. my wife strongly prefer the ipad mini because of the tote-able dimensions and the one hand usage it allows for.. while most men won’t even consider it as an option) and can be best made by visiting a RD/Croma or any physical store that carries them to try and see.

Just a few suggestions:
- The only model I would advise against is the 11 Pro (which I have) - It was a great buy at one point in time but The current Air is far better VFM
- The base storage will serve most people absolutely fine, except maybe avid gamers/ special use cases. Club the base model with an icloud plan instead for lower cost as well as better data management
- Do not disregard the LTE variants. The overall usefulness jumps up many notches with LTE. the money otherwise spent on additional local storage is very lilkely better utilized on getting LTE

If the budget allows for 80K, why not a kindle paperwhite (which is unparalleled for text only books) + an iPad (non pro)?
I would never read a novel on an ipad /any tablet nor would attempt reading a magazine/pdf on a kindle unless I feel like torturing myself :)

The ipad model selection would be a very personal decision (e.g. i have seen a lot of women e.g. my wife strongly prefer the ipad mini because of the tote-able dimensions and the one hand usage it allows for.. while most men won’t even consider it as an option) and can be best made by visiting a RD/Croma or any physical store that carries them to try and see.

Just a few suggestions:
- The only model I would advise against is the 11 Pro (which I have) - It was a great buy at one point in time but The current Air is far better VFM
- The base storage will serve most people absolutely fine, except maybe avid gamers/ special use cases. Club the base model with an icloud plan instead for lower cost as well as better data management
- Do not disregard the LTE variants. The overall usefulness jumps up many notches with LTE. the money otherwise spent on additional local storage is very lilkely better utilized on getting LTE
I am exactly of the similar opinion.
Have the Kindle paperwhite 3g variant for the books and nothing matches it when it comes to my fiction reads, it's unmatched.

Also have the new 8th gen ipad 32gigs, can swear that its indeed a great gadget, especially for me as i have to make a lot of prescriptions.. And writing on it using the apple pencil is a great experience indeed. Other than that when free i use it to read newspapers and magazines on Magzter...

Yes 32gb is enough for me and a cellular variant would be even more useful.

But would strongly suggest the buyer to invest in a good case that too with native pencil holder if he/she ll be looking to buy the pencil too... Would be way way helpful.. I had purchased the poetic lumos x case and love it

Will be buying a Compatible keyboard with a trackpad soon to do away with my laptop dependence although that's just once in 15 days or so but wish to do away with that too.

But would strongly suggest the buyer to invest in a good case that too with native pencil holder if he/she ll be looking to buy the pencil too... Would be way way helpful.. I had purchased the poetic lumos x case and love it

My case does have a pencil holder as you can see from the pics I post on previous page. It is great to have pencil stowed away like that. Not related to topic, but the apple pencil 1st gen charges atrociously slow with the included female lightning adapter connected to wall charger while it charges super fast when stuck on lightning port of iPad. Weird behavior and I am not the only one too.
Btw, I rarely "write" anything with pencil, I use it more like stylus and it is great but sometimes while in bed I am replying on a reddit or TE post, writing post with pencil is great experience. I am surprised how it is able to understand my really bad handwriting.

My case does have a pencil holder as you can see from the pics I post on previous page. It is great to have pencil stowed away like that. Not related to topic, but the apple pencil 1st gen charges atrociously slow with the included female lightning adapter connected to wall charger while it charges super fast when stuck on lightning port of iPad. Weird behavior and I am not the only one too.
Btw, I rarely "write" anything with pencil, I use it more like stylus and it is great but sometimes while in bed I am replying on a reddit or TE post, writing post with pencil is great experience. I am surprised how it is able to understand my really bad handwriting.

Dang. I haven't tried writing a post with it, but will try now.
And yeah, charging via iPad port is pretty quick.

Also, similar case with pencil storage.

Also applied dbrand's skin to make the pencil look like an actual pencil.

Here we go again...
That's what I was thinking about this thread.. Looking at what people kept mentioning over and over comparing irrelevant tablets against each other and drawing the conclusion that one is better... Surprise... A product that costs 4 5 times is better!

That's what I was thinking about this thread.. Looking at what people kept mentioning over and over comparing irrelevant tablets against each other and drawing the conclusion that one is better... Surprise... A product that costs 4 5 times is better!

iPad 8th gen is NOT 4x-5x cost of amazon fire hd 10 and the amazon tabs are not even available in India, so consider import and tax money too.

Yes indeed, I have been charging the pencil with the ipad itself and its fast as hell but using the connector with the charger its atrociously slow..
Here is the case was last piece on Amazon and unavailable everywhere now.

FWIW i never gave any merit to ipads ever.. But after using a samsung tab a and then the Huawei mediapad m5 lite, I can safely say ipad is way better for all my needs.

Thanks
IMG_2021-02-26-12-57-46-200.jpg
IMG_2021-02-26-12-58-30-183.jpg
IMG_2021-02-26-12-58-01-491.jpg

it might seem so when we look purely just the spec sheet. the 120hz display and those quad speakers make all the difference in user experience. add face ID and better apple pencil performance and an extra 64gb of space all for just 13k from the air. bezels are slightly smaller as well. overall it is indeed a more "premium" product. i agree these might not be worth it for the budget conscious but otherwise the pro is definitely the better deal.

@msankadi
ok fair fight. tab s6 lite vs ipad 8th gen. tell me more. i have personally tried the s6 lite and it doesn't hold a candle to an iPad 6/7/8. it screams cheap.

it might seem so when we look purely just the spec sheet. the 120hz display and those quad speakers make all the difference in user experience. add face ID and better apple pencil performance and an extra 64gb of space all for just 13k from the air. bezels are slightly smaller as well. overall it is indeed a more "premium" product. i agree these might not be worth it for the budget conscious but otherwise the pro is definitely the better deal.

@msankadi
ok fair fight. tab s6 lite vs ipad 8th gen. tell me more. i have personally tried the s6 lite and it doesn't hold a candle to an iPad 6/7/8. it screams cheap.

Yeah. Trumotion is a visible difference. I have the old Air as a comparison, and that feels so slow in front of a Pro.

@msankadi
Probably true - If any of those specific upgrades(?) matter to the user
Personally I (and many others) don't care about 120hz .. I don't have a use case which benefits from the HRR on my iPP
Face ID vs Touch - Again, marginal usability improvement
Speakers - Probably... but I almost never use the speakers on the iPP and use a earphone instead.

I guess what I am trying to get to is the fact that incremental jump from the base iPad to the iP Air is a much bigger improvement than what the iPP gets over the current iP Air
And while I am perfectly happy with the iPP, I would have very likely opted for the iPA if I was buying one today

Disclaimer: I have not used the new iPad Air

Regarding the latter part of your post - It's a pointless argument.
FOr phones, both iOS and Android have very good choices available and a new buyer is spoilt for choice
Unfortunately for tablets - there really isn't anything in android (except the really low cost ones if on a tight budget) that one can (or should ) consider unless he/she wants to make a hipster statement
Yeah. Trumotion is a visible difference. I have the old Air as a comparison, and that feels so slow in front of a Pro.
Thats not necessarily on account of 120hz - and very likely on account of the processor and GPU rendering capabilities.
For everyday usage, I see minimal difference in the fluidity of say an ip11 pro vs iPad Pro even though the former is 60hz..

I actually went ahead and did a test with a slo-mo video recording scrolling performance - and yes, the difference is evident here
But for real life, not so much - at least to my eyes (which aren't that old either :) )

Last edited:
Thats not necessarily on account of 120hz - and very likely on account of the processor and GPU rendering capabilities.
For everyday usage, I see minimal difference in the fluidity of say an ip11 pro vs iPad Pro even though the former is 60hz..

I actually went ahead and did a test with a slo-mo video recording scrolling performance - and yes, the difference is evident here
But for real life, not so much - at least to my eyes (which aren't that old either :) )
Probably true.
The latest iPad I've is the 2017 Pro, and hence I only have older devices for comparison.
Haven't used the new Pros or Air.

Probably true - If any of those specific upgrades(?) matter to the user
well, this could be said about the 8th gen vs air too :)

i think most people do care about 120hz if they're given an option. the difference is very clearly evident. like i said earlier ipp is better only if budget is no bar.
it does make a visible difference. my xs max vs sister's ipad pro definitely feels faster and zippier even though theoretical difference might be very small. it just makes the overall experience more fluid.

And he is back.... Welcome.. Let the flame wars begin... Where is boo and rest of the apple gang?
lol bro don't get salty. xD s6 lite and ipad 8 are the same price fyi.

well, this could be said about the 8th gen vs air too :)

i think most people do care about 120hz if they're given an option. the difference is very clearly evident. like i said earlier ipp is better only if budget is no bar.

it does make a visible difference. my xs max vs sister's ipad pro definitely feels faster and zippier even though theoretical difference might be very small. it just makes the overall experience more fluid.

lol bro don't get salty. xD s6 lite and ipad 8 are the same price fyi.
Possible.
what i do know is that no other ipad prior to the ipp (11” A12x) got used so heavily by me.
All my older ipads were used largely for videos and magazines but this one cut down my laptop usage in half.

While i would like to think it’s primarily due to the ridiculous snappiness and/or the keyboard folio.. but it’s indeed possible that the HRR may also have helped.

But then again, coming to your example, the A12x/A12z are significantly faster than the SoC on the XS.

i think we are probably splitting hairs here though :)

But then again, coming to your example, the A12x/A12z are significantly faster than the SoC on the XS.

i think we are probably splitting hairs here though :)
well uhm, i thought so too. but for the record, 12 mini 'feels' the same as a12 on the xs max. theoretically a14 could be some milliseconds or 1 sec quicker than a12 in general tasks, but somehow it 'feels' the same. whereas the ipp definitely feels more fluid and faster compared to either of the devices. i could be wrong, but this is my personal observation. however i'm 100% sure 120hz makes a perceptible difference to the overall fluidity of the device.

well uhm, i thought so too. but for the record, 12 mini 'feels' the same as a12 on the xs max. theoretically a14 could be some milliseconds or 1 sec quicker than a12 in general tasks, but somehow it 'feels' the same. whereas the ipp definitely feels more fluid and faster compared to either of the devices. i could be wrong, but this is my personal observation. however i'm 100% sure 120hz makes a perceptible difference to the overall fluidity of the device.
The SoC performance difference is far from insignificant between A12 and A12X - especially on the GPU front that IMO will make a much bigger difference on the fluidity vs the HRR.
Take a look at the screenshots below:

I still maintain that it is very difficult to see perf jump from 60 to 120 as you are hitting the diminishing returns curve
Vs say 30 to 60 (which makes a very big difference)

1614512931569.png

1614513008227.png

Now I have not used or tested the A14 so can't say for sure how it fares against the A12X but apparently it is pretty similar going by what the reviews are saying

The SoC performance difference is far from insignificant between A12 and A12X - especially on the GPU front that IMO will make a much bigger difference on the fluidity vs the HRR.
Take a look at the screenshots below:

I still maintain that it is very difficult to see perf jump from 60 to 120 as you are hitting the diminishing returns curve
Vs say 30 to 60 (which makes a very big difference)

Now I have not used or tested the A14 so can't say for sure how it fares against the A12X but apparently it is pretty similar going by what the reviews are saying
i'm aware a12z is a total beast compared to a12. a14 and a12z are much closer. i think you're missing my point when i'm comparing general use case scenarios and not things like video editing or anything that benefits from higher raw power.

30 to 60 is a big difference. 60 to 90 is a significant improvement as well. diminishing return starts from 90. not from 60. trust me, once you use a 90hz+ display for a few days or a couple weeks, 60hz definitely will start looking horrible to the eyes.
edit: found a video

this is what i meant. the actual speed difference is very minor (in many cases being just identical). but in hand the ipp feels much more fluid.

i'm aware a12z is a total beast compared to a12. a14 and a12z are much closer. i think you're missing my point when i'm comparing general use case scenarios and not things like video editing or anything that benefits from higher raw power.

30 to 60 is a big difference. 60 to 90 is a significant improvement as well. diminishing return starts from 90. not from 60. trust me, once you use a 90hz+ display for a few days or a couple weeks, 60hz definitely will start looking horrible to the eyes.
edit: found a video

this is what i meant. the actual speed difference is very minor (in many cases being just identical). but in hand the ipp feels much more fluid.
Apparently it's possible to disable promotion (120hz0 on iPP
Let me try doing that for the sake of science :tearsofjoy:
I will keep it disabled for a day or two and report back what I subjectively felt

Back