Tanishq jeweller good ?

can you enlighten me on that part?

Resale value for gold jewelry in India is dependent on the actual gold present in an ornament. Because a larger part of the store cost of Tanishq jewelrey is the cost of the design and Tanishq brand name, those don't carry over to the resale price.

For example - 1000 Rs Tanishq necklace might have 600 Rs worth of gold, but a 1000 Rs necklace from a local shop will have 800 Rs worth of gold in it. It might look worse than Tanishq's design but on the resale market, it is 600 Rs worth of gold vs 800 Rs worth of gold.

In tech terms, it is like buying an Alienware desktop. When you are reselling it on a forum, people are not going to go by your original price. They will just look at the core components of the PC.

^^
Of course. The net weight of the raw gold in the ornament. How can someone fail to understand something so basic, when going out to buy gold. Most shops give a break up, and the exact weight. That is the TRUE gold worth.

^^
Of course. The net weight of the raw gold in the ornament. How can someone fail to understand something so basic, when going out to buy gold. Most shops give a break up, and the exact weight. That is the TRUE gold worth.

You would be surprised at the situation elsewhere though. For example, jewelry in the US is not closely tied to the cost of the raw materials. (In many cases, 14k/18k gold is used). Jewelry sold by weight is more common in India/South Korea/Middle East.

You would be surprised at the situation elsewhere though. For example, jewelry in the US is not closely tied to the cost of the raw materials. (In many cases, 14k/18k gold is used). Jewelry sold by weight is more common in India/South Korea/Middle East.
Well, I was talking about Indians. We have a love for gold, since birth. And till we pass away. LOL.

:)

Resale value for gold jewelry in India is dependent on the actual gold present in an ornament. Because a larger part of the store cost of Tanishq jewelrey is the cost of the design and Tanishq brand name, those don't carry over to the resale price.

For example - 1000 Rs Tanishq necklace might have 600 Rs worth of gold, but a 1000 Rs necklace from a local shop will have 800 Rs worth of gold in it. It might look worse than Tanishq's design but on the resale market, it is 600 Rs worth of gold vs 800 Rs worth of gold.

In tech terms, it is like buying an Alienware desktop. When you are reselling it on a forum, people are not going to go by your original price. They will just look at the core components of the PC.

When we sell the used jewelry, its being treated only as metal (so you wont be getting any of the charges you paid, making, wastage, taxes etc). Its most basic thing and I know that.
The post I sought clarification mentions that the tanishq jewelry fetches less amount on resale than the other branded/non branded jewelry, thats what I wanted to know why is it so?

FYI, Tanishq stopped charging for designs and all long back, they are operating as any other jeweler. (just gold price + making charges + wastage + taxes) This is what is every jeweler's charging format. Only difference is, some shops do negotiate on wastage and making charges part and Tanishq charges are fixed.

Abeyaar 75k mein kitna gram hai woh batayega bhi? Not once have you mentioned that. This is like I asked the price of a premium sedan, but dont want to pay that much because I know I can get a hatchback for much cheaper.

How old are you again?

The product detail page clearly mention its a 22gm 22karat gold chain, so blow whistle about weight when i already know it :D

Regarding age, i am 35 year old now :D:D

anyway, dropped idea of gifting mom jewellery, taken her to nearby mall for shopping, and got him few sarees and a new watch :D :D

(err) I just saw this thread and .... well ...

dunno If I should post here [red HOT territory :dead: ] .......

I have been investing in the GHS - Golden Harvest Scheme of Tanishq [pay 11 installments & Tnshq pays the 12th] after that go and - pick up the total value - i.e some ornaments. I do not remember other terms etc. My last instalment is due this month.

A few months back I read that these schemes are not really good (which had me worried); however I still persisted - as Tnshq has a name and reputation + hallmarked gold.

After 15th-Aug I would be able to redeem the investment. Not sure if I should start another one with them ?

^ When you pay them the first 11 installments, the 12th installment roughly comes from the interest on your earlier installments and the actual price increase of gold. Think of it like this, every time you pay, they buy equivalent amount of gold but use it themselves till the end of the year when they return it to you.

Are they going to give you the gold according to current prices or the price on which you entered the scheme?
This scheme is very much beneficial to you if the the current prices are used as gold price has decreased this year. If this price decrease trend continues, I am sure these schemes will be cancelled or heavily altered.

-edit-
You are getting the gold/ornaments at current rate. Congratulations.

As a comparison against Bank Fixed deposits.
If you invested 1k every month for 11 months at a ROI of 9%pa compounding monthly then at the end of 12 months you'll have 11507 Rs with you. With this scheme, as you are getting 1k at the end of 12 months, the calculated ROI of which comes to around 17.32%pa.

I really don't think that they give gold at the current price. When you actually pay the installment, they calculate how much gold you get at that price.

I really don't think that they give gold at the current price. When you actually pay the installment, they calculate how much gold you get at that price.

It's not like they allot some grams of gold for each instalment. If you pay 5000 every month for 11 months, the 12th installment is waived. At the end of 12 months, you can walk in to their shop and buy any jewellery worth Rs.60000. Simple. Only catch is that you cannot buy gold coins. It has to be jewels.

Being Snart support Indian Government..stay away from gold...Its not good for countries health.

For rest please continue your plans because as soon as B.S.enters in the market i am sure chidu will again increase excise,vat ,octroi,labour tax each and everythin as B.S. wont wait until he buy 10 tons of gold.

-edit-
You are getting the gold/ornaments at current rate. Congratulations.

As a comparison against Bank Fixed deposits.
If you invested 1k every month for 11 months at a ROI of 9%pa compounding monthly then at the end of 12 months you'll have 11507 Rs with you. With this scheme, as you are getting 1k at the end of 12 months, the calculated ROI of which comes to around 17.32%pa.

Ditto.
After the investment period is over, one can redeem it for "ornaments-only" at the current day's prices [smart business tactic not to include 24 carat gold coins ehh @logistopath ]. This has to be done within a period of 3 months after the due date.

When I started off last year on 15th August - Gold prices were around 30k & I was dreading if it crosses 36k or so. Prices have come down a lot ..... but still my redemption is 70 odd days away and it's difficult to postulate anything today.

@pr0ing
If this price decrease trend continues, I am sure these schemes will be cancelled or heavily altered.

True

Last edited by a moderator:
Government is discouraging gold investment, big time. No point now.

Ever tried telling that to the "wifie" :eek:

Buy it if you love the metal.

Sigh ... Buying it 'coz I love the 'wifie' :arghh::arghh::arghh:

As an afterthought ....
I've never liked 'gold' or any ornaments also (not even the customary 'wedding-ring'). I've never understood the Indian "possessivity & obsession with gold". We keep saying it is an investment .... BUT NEVER EVER sell or part with it!
Gold was Rs 4600 when I got married in '99. So apart from the bare-minimum that I had to fork out with a grudge, I never really got anything else all these years. I have a daughter who is growing up ..... so my wifie is worried about that..... And the way Gold had started galloping these past 2-3 years.... It may go beyond the reach of most regular folks in 10-15 years.
..... And so I succumb to the trap - "Buy now, before it crosses 1 lac :inpain:, by the time my daughter gets married"

Tears
Terry

^^
You cannot tell that to a woman. Since when did ladies understand logic..? :)

I love Gold. Honestly. Wear some rings and a nice thick gold chain. LOL.

Back