Video Tata sky asking for HD STB to be returned

Tata is quite a bad company when it comes to CC and upfront approach with customers. Specially regarding Internet and DTH. I remember when I had to close down a Tata Photon connection. What hell I went through. There is a thread I started around this, here. Tata is basically doing this to harass you, and you start subscription again.

Please note all the set top boxes are owned by the companies. Yes it wont hold up in court but the terms and conditions says so.

. Tata is basically doing this to harass you, and you start subscription again.

Exactly and all companies try to do this. Airtel are not behind.

Having a bad experience with Tata Indicom BB for past year. Just now switched to Hathway for the same reason. Hathway is also not to be trusted, but not many choices for me where I stay in Pune.

Tata is supposed to one of the ethical companies in India, but recent experiences are exactly opposite.

The TRAI plan was have STBs independent of the service providers - you can change the service provider by just changing the VC, like one can do with a mobile SIM. That concept has remained on paper only.

Funnily, i asked TS more than once, some time ago, if they would take back my SD STB, lying unused. each time they replied in sure negative, even agreeing with me on my idea of giving the STB to someone else for use. if i happen to get such a dubious call, even though i speak less, i would burst out in giving the caller an earful of some 'meethi boliyaan' i guess.

I own a TataSky connection & I know what the agreement contains. However, the agreement will not stand in the court of law for the reasons I mentioned earlier. You can go check with a lawyer.

Agreed. They cannot charge you for the box and then claim ownership rights to it. If they want to claim that its on rental basis, they have to show documentation to prove the same that you have agreed to a rental contract and paying them rent.

I used to use Tata Sky HD service for a year or two. I stopped using it since Diwali 2012 because of their high price and switched to some other service provider.

Today I got call from a number and the lady claimed to be Tata sky employee. She said that since I don't use the service, I now need to return the STB. I will not get any money in return. She said that the Tata sky owns the STB and not us. She mentioned that this is mentioned in the terms and conditions. Look here:

http://www.tatasky.com/wps/wcm/connect/5641b248-31b3-41e9-81e0-88db15143bd1/Tata Sky Subscription Contract.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=5641b248-31b3-41e9-81e0-88db15143bd1

She also mentioned that dish is owned by the user. Here she contradicted herself as the terms mentioned above says that too is owned by Tata sky.

Till now I was under the impression that the user owns the STB. Dish and access card was owned by Tata sky. Has any of you got such a call? What to do in such a case?
I ve also been told the same when I requested for disconnection and refund of my balance.

Back