TE PC Buying Guide (updated 21 feb 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks DarkAngel
U can also consider going for a 1TB Seagate 7200.12 as it costs only 2.8k and just spending 1k more would result in doubling of capacity.

Just one thing though. A friend of mine who recently got his rig pimped, he advised me to go for 2 500GB hard disks and he said 1TB with 7200 will be heavier on your system than 2x500GB. True?

And one more thing. He said the i series of Intel is better than AMD. True?

creative420 said:
Thanks DarkAngel

Just one thing though. A friend of mine who recently got his rig pimped, he advised me to go for 2 500GB hard disks and he said 1TB with 7200 will be heavier on your system than 2x500GB. True?

And one more thing. He said the i series of Intel is better than AMD. True?
The chepest i-series u would get is the i-3 530 ~ 4.9k +Gigabyte H55M-S2 ~ 3.5k. So it will be difficult for u to fit in other components. Eventhough the i-3 is superior to Phenom dual core or the Ahtlon dual clock for clock performance. The AthlonII X3 and X4 have extra real cores and comes in handy when all cores are stressed.

Also "1TB with 7200 will be heavier on your system " i didnt understand this stmt. What does he mean by heavier?

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

So AMD it is. Cheap is the word of the day for me. :p

DarkAngel said:

By heavier I meant the reading time will be higher. Or rather, everything will gradually get slower as compared to a smaller storage device where 7200 will read 500GB faster than 1GB.

creative420 said:
So AMD it is. Cheap is the word of the day for me. :p

By heavier I meant the reading time will be higher. Or rather, everything will gradually get slower as compared to a smaller storage device where 7200 will read 500GB faster than 1GB.
Seagate's Barracuda 7200.12 hard drive - The Tech Report - Page 12

I dont think that would be the case. Even if it is it wont be noticeable IMO. Plus u get the advantage of running lesser drives and much cheaper too (2*500GB ~ 3.6k)

Excellent guide!

My good old E6600 died recently, and now I'm looking for a new CPU/Mobo.

How wise is it get the current i5 now with Sandy Bridge around the corner? AMD looks a lot more stable with their sockets. Are AM3+ mobos out? Tonnes of questions.. perhaps I should start a seperate thread.

The only thing putting me off from getting the AMD X4 955BE is the siginificantly higher power consumption :(

tifosi said:
Excellent guide!

My good old E6600 died recently, and now I'm looking for a new CPU/Mobo.

How wise is it get the current i5 now with Sandy Bridge around the corner? AMD looks a lot more stable with their sockets. Are AM3+ mobos out? Tonnes of questions.. perhaps I should start a seperate thread.

The only thing putting me off from getting the AMD X4 955BE is the siginificantly higher power consumption :(
If u have money to spend then buy Intel Core i5 760... It is the best processor for gaming coz it doesnt cause any bottleneck... If u wanna wait for sandybridge even that wud b a great choice coz i5 2500K wud launch for around 11K in india on 5th jan... plus it has higher clock speed than current i5 760...

Intel Core i5 760: 2.8GHz

Intel Core i5 2500K: 3.3GHz

whopping 500MHz faster than i5 760 ;) And turbo boost can take it to 3.7 GHz :)

+1 to the above.It also has unlocked multiplier and so it will be one of the 2 sandy bridges capable of ocing easily.

But I think that i5 760 will hit a lower price to make way for i5-2500 @3.3 Ghz @ 205$ which is the same price as i5-760 now.This would also be a total VFM buy along with a MSI P55-GD65 @ 6.8K>will last u without any bottlenecks for a pretty decent time

Marcus Fenix said:
+1 to the above.It also has unlocked multiplier and so it will be one of the 2 sandy bridges capable of ocing easily.

But I think that i5 760 will hit a lower price to make way for i5-2500 @3.3 Ghz @ 205$ which is the same price as i5-760 now.This would also be a total VFM buy along with a MSI P55-GD65 @ 6.8K>will last u without any bottlenecks for a pretty decent time
Hey Marcus where P55-GD65 is selling for 6.8K?

check this out
http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/price-updates-from-nehru-place-delhi-137835-45.html
maddu5731
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message
^ yes, m going to buy the buy following components soon...

intel core i5 760:- 9500 c2c
zotac gtx 460 768mb:- 11000 c2c

msi p55 gd65:- 6500 smc
kingston 2X2 gb 1333 mhz ram:- 3800 smc

also enquired about benq g2220 but is not available anywhere in NP, I think it is discontinued now...

Marcus Fenix said:
check this out

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/price-updates-from-nehru-place-delhi-137835-45.html

maddu5731

View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message

^ yes, m going to buy the buy following components soon...

intel core i5 760:- 9500 c2c

zotac gtx 460 768mb:- 11000 c2c

msi p55 gd65:- 6500 smc

kingston 2X2 gb 1333 mhz ram:- 3800 smc

also enquired about benq g2220 but is not available anywhere in NP, I think it is discontinued now...
Great...:D

I think DarkAngel shud update the price of GD65 In his TE PC Buying Guide :p

But everywhere else (on Lynx and smc to be exact) it is selling @ 7.9k+.seemed a bit starnge to me also that MSi p55-gd65 is going for so less.I am planning i5-760+p55-gd65 when i build my rig in jan (hope sandy bridge makes the price of i5-760 go down :D :D)

Marcus Fenix said:
But everywhere else (on Lynx and smc to be exact) it is selling @ 7.9k+.seemed a bit starnge to me also that MSi p55-gd65 is going for so less.I am planning i5-760+p55-gd65 when i build my rig in jan (hope sandy bridge makes the price of i5-760 go down :D :D)
Even i m looking to buy one but TheITWares is still selling it for 7.8k...

Yup online stores still quote ~7.9k for the mobo and i usaully dont update prices unless some indian online site/ TE dealers/ price update threads come up with the lowered quote.

Greetings DA . Great Job with the guide :)

I have been pondering over this thread for quite some time today , I believe there is a small error which I have spotted in the Mid End Gaming Rig - (Budget 41k) --You have mentioned the Gigabyte GM-M6800 as a laser mouse , which it isnt - Its a 2 stage dpi switch optical mouse. Hope that is attended to.

Also one small query -

I'm planning on buying General Purpose Home Machine + Casual Gamer (Budget 26k) with a few modifications ,

The Gigabyte works at HT 1.0 with AthlonII and PhenomII. IINM they affect the IGP performance a little but as a discrete card is used its not an issue

^ What does this mean ? Will the performance be jittery with a x3 440 + ASUS M4A78LT-M ?

l33t said:
Greetings DA . Great Job with the guide :)

I have been pondering over this thread for quite some time today , I believe there is a small error which I have spotted in the Mid End Gaming Rig - (Budget 41k) --You have mentioned the Gigabyte GM-M6800 as a laser mouse , which it isnt - Its a 2 stage dpi switch optical mouse. Hope that is attended to.

Also one small query -

I'm planning on buying General Purpose Home Machine + Casual Gamer (Budget 26k) with a few modifications ,

^ What does this mean ? Will the performance be jittery with a x3 440 + ASUS M4A78LT-M ?
Thanks for pointing that out.

x3 440 + ASUS M4A78LT-M wont have any performance hit. The board uses SB710 and has HT 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back