The 2013 Black Friday thread

Its a good phone for basic features... If you want something cheaper then there are few factory refurbished ones here... Single handset set going for $10.99

http://www.uniden.com/telephones/ho...ials_b2c&categoryPathRefs=shop&perpage=12&q=*

You need to buy a DECT 6.0 phone at the very least...rest of the features are not something which should be considered essential... Do keep in mind you will have to spend on the 220v to 110v converter & maybe a caller ID converter as well...

Have narrowed down to http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-...ess-Handsets/dp/B0036D9YKU/ref=zg_bs_172614_2 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP7SDCY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The latter one has a more premium look and the extra handsets might be useful in future.

Caller id converter?

Have narrowed down to http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-...ess-Handsets/dp/B0036D9YKU/ref=zg_bs_172614_2 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP7SDCY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The latter one has a more premium look and the extra handsets might be useful in future.

Caller id converter?

That you have to decide. I am using the 2nd choice & its quite good, using three handsets & kept one for future... Its feature rich set though hence more expensive...

Caller ID will not work in India since US phones uses FSK system while in India we have DTMF. You need a DTMF to FSK converter which looks like an ADSL splitter & cost ~200 bucks..

That you have to decide. I am using the 2nd choice & its quite good, using three handsets & kept one for future... Its feature rich set though hence more expensive...

Caller ID will not work in India since US phones uses FSK system while in India we have DTMF. You need a DTMF to FSK converter which looks like an ADSL splitter & cost ~200 bucks..
I had one US panasonic cordless , so after reading your post was quite happy and immediately went to ebay.in and the cheapest listing I found was for 950 bucks and that too 19 have already bought it for 950 bucks......
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Caller-ID-Co...ces&hash=item4176d0e9db&_uhb=1#ht_2355wt_1037
Time to test the local city markets now

Apparently indian cards via PayPal are working..
TE.JPG

So any help anyone?

Last edited:
Is it a gud idea to pick a N5 (16 or 32 Gb) from US? Will there be significant price difference. One of my friends will be travelling there for couple of days so I am wondering if I should get one.

Will the Nexus be available in stores there easily or ordering from Playstore would be the only option?

Is it a gud idea to pick a N5 (16 or 32 Gb) from US? Will there be significant price difference. One of my friends will be travelling there for couple of days so I am wondering if I should get one.

Will the Nexus be available in stores there easily or ordering from Playstore would be the only option?
From The us will always be cheaper.

Was also interested in it but reviews say thats to way too slow even for light use.Though cant argue much at that price.

Ipad air 50$ off on 16GB at staples.

The reviews are biased like hell. With subsequent updates, it is apparently quite fast and pretty powerful. Look at these vids, will probably change your mind -

Smooth multitasking proof

For HD video performance proof

An end user's review

A slightly funny user review

I tried from newegg site directly not via ebay.
With ebay....sellers like buy.com, newegg throw an error when we try to log with a non US pay pal account. (Basically not even allowing us to login to paypal)
Apparently indian cards via PayPal are working..

Its a good phone for basic features... If you want something cheaper then there are few factory refurbished ones here... Single handset set going for $10.99

http://www.uniden.com/telephones/ho...ials_b2c&categoryPathRefs=shop&perpage=12&q=*

You need to buy a DECT 6.0 phone at the very least...rest of the features are not something which should be considered essential... Do keep in mind you will have to spend on the 220v to 110v converter & maybe a caller ID converter as well...

Buddy, can you please elaborate on DECT 6.0. Will every feature of this phone work here? I know the deal is no more but dont want to miss next time.

@Sei In a user video you posted,notice that many times while launching apps,user had to click the second time.It wasnt that the touch wasnt proper.The app took a little while to launch as suggested by various reviews.And the user had hardly installed any apps which may slow down the tab.That MAY/MAY NOT be the case.Just didnt want to take a risk of 20k.Went for the safer option with nook hd+.Its sad we dont have any option of testing out these stuff and have to rely on reviews.

@Sei..

I personally will never compare an ipad to surface. No matter what anyone says or thinks, surface IS a beast of a machine and tablet. The UI is one of the slickest and as far as i used, it never gave me problems. I used one for testing an app for windows 8.
Samsung ATIV and Surface. Loved both the machines. For a windows user along with drop box(For uploading for those source codes and office files), facebook and google apps, the ability to just pick up and continue where I stopped in my laptop is just awesome. and vice versa. Windows 8 tablet gives far more than any ipad or android tablet can ever possibly do. I have read in this forum just few minutes ago and several times that android if the open one and gives more options than default ones etc... Windows 8 also has virtues that no other mobile platform can ever boast. Seamless use for one. Google does that with their apps across any connected account to any number of devices. I love that.

But what people say about ipad is also true. Ipad works from the get go. It may be basic for some, but for some that works fine. As evident from sales numbers I guess.

My logic for not getting the Surface 2? Already have the Aspire s7 touch screen laptop. No clue where i can justify a tablet purchase. :)

@sarthakk250193 @m-jeri

I totally agree that the Surface is not for everyone. At the same time, the iPad is not for everyone as well. Both are fantastic devices in my opinion. However, what I do want to point out is how biased the reviewers are. They compare the Surface RT to a laptop and the Surface Pro to a tablet. For e.g., have a look at this review. This is from The Verge, a site I like very very much. But they are Apple worshippers, down to the last person working there -

This was the first time I ever seriously replied on youtube and am copy pasting my rant from there directly :p

--------------------------------
Ending all sentences with "this is good, but iPad is still better" doesn't make sense. I can understand that many apps do not exist in the Windows Store but you really underplayed the importance of having a proper web browser. Leaving aside games, the only reason apps were made because browsers could not render stuff the same on phones and tablets. IE 11 is fantastic and is nowhere like the IE of earlier years. Are you seriously implying that a Facebook app is better than the full fledged browser on a 10" device?!

- You didn't expound on the fact that IE 11 that has 100% flash compatibility.
- You didn't expound on the comfort of using a home network natively without any app.
- You didn't expound on the comfort of having a USB port. We can directly connect dozens of controllers, mice, keyboards, printers without any contraptions. Most of the generic USB software is built-in windows
- You didn't expound on the fact that it has an inbuilt file-system.
- You didn't expound on the fact that we can directly share media directly through XBox and other devices to our big screen TV - yes, this includes IE flash videos, music, almost everything.
- You didn't expound on the fact that this is the only tablet offering true multi-tasking. An example - you can run a video on youtube, a video on your local drive and play a game simultaneously.. with all 3 apps running and none of them in suspended mode. Show me how to do this in an iPad or an Android tablet.

I don't even blame you that much. MS has a shitty marketing team. When advertising products they want to show kids dancing crazy with a Surface in their hands rather than highlighting all these fantastic features.
--------------------------------

To each his own and may be my own views will change once I spend some time with the Surface myself (will get my hands on it next week). The iPad is fantastic, hands-down, no contesting that fact. But for hardcore Windows users like me, having the features above makes a world of a difference.

Back